Another Omega LE ?
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Another Omega LE ?

-->
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Another Omega LE ?

Hi guys

Its doen't matter how much I like Omega watches, after 4 Omega's LE watches sitting in my collection, plus other Omegas .
    I ran across this article this afternoon, than I got to think "Omega is Milking " the speed to death and that may cheapen the Image of the speedy.

Here is the article and Pics.

Apollo 15 was the fourth of NASA's six missions to land on the Moon. OMEGA has created the Speedmaster Moonwatch "Apollo 15" 40th Anniversary Limited Edition to commemorate this important and successful mission.
    Apollo 15 was the fourth of NASA's six missions to land on the Moon. It was the first to feature a long duration stay on the lunar surface and there was a greater focus on science than there had been on previous missions. Most notably, it was the first mission where the Lunar Roving Vehicle was used.

The Apollo 15 mission began on July 26, 1971; the crew landed on the Moon four days later and they wouldn't splash down until the 7th of August. The adventure had lasted more than twelve days!

OMEGA commemorates a successful mission
    OMEGA has created the Speedmaster Moonwatch "Apollo 15" 40th Anniversary Limited Edition to commemorate this important and successful mission.

It is a classic Moonwatch: it has a polished and brushed stainless steel case and bracelet, a black aluminum ring with a tachymeter scale on the bezel and a domed shatterproof hesalite crystal with Ω etched inside. Its three subdials are arranged in true Speedmaster Professional fashion on the black dial: the small seconds at 9 o'clock, the 12-hour counter at 6 o'clock and the 30-minute counter at 3 o'clock.

Some distinguishing features
    There are also some features which distinguish the Apollo 15 40th Anniversary model from the classic Speedmaster Professional. This Limited Edition timepiece has a minute track in blue, white and red – the three colors of the Apollo 15 patch. There is a blue ring around the small seconds subdial; there are white and red rings around the 12-hour and 30-minute counters respectively.

The screw-in caseback is embossed with an image of the Lunar Rover and the words "APOLLO 15" and "40th ANNIVERSARY". The outer circle of the caseback is black chrome engraved with "THE FIRST WATCH WORN ON THE MOON", "JULY 30, 1971" and the limited edition number.

An iconic movement
    At the heart of the Speedmaster Moonwatch "Apollo 15" 40th Anniversary Limited Edition wristwatch is the classic OMEGA caliber 1861, the same manual-winding chronograph that equips the legendary Speedmaster Professional.

The OMEGA Speedmaster Moonwatch "Apollo 15" 40th Anniversary was created in an edition limited to 1,971 pieces.

Name:  1971 omega le.jpg
Views: 1026
Size:  63.1 KB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1971 omega le 2.jpg 
Views:	884 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	462784

any thoughts ?

Re: Another Omega LE ?

They're starting to scrape the barrel alright. What next, a speedy to commemorate Apollo 13 the Movie? The back will be engraved with a picture of Tom Hanks, Kevin Bacon and Bill Paxton. Order now and recieve a copy of the 2 disc DVD collectors edition.

Omega can dress the Speedy up any way they want but the original design will always be my choice.
    ljb187 and tigerpac like this.

I'd like to see a Star Wars Speedy LE....................
    Spit161 likes this.

I must admit, there are a lot of LE Omega watches. Yet some other brands are similar. IWC has quite a few too. As those are the only watches I really read about, I'm not sure about other competitors in the market.
    Sorry that some of my older photos are not working. picturepush is holding them to ransom by deactivating *free* accounts. People must pay to get theirs back. My new photos will be under a different provider.

Omega Seamster Pro | Omega DeVille | IWC Pilot Chronograph | Tag Heuer Formula 1 | Audi Quattro

Banned

If you do a search on LE Speedmasters, you'll find that this topic has already been discussed here, at length, in a previous thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Faith+1 View Post
    They're starting to scrape the barrel alright. What next, a speedy to commemorate Apollo 13 the Movie? The back will be engraved with a picture of Tom Hanks, Kevin Bacon and Bill Paxton. Order now and recieve a copy of the 2 disc DVD collectors edition.

Omega can dress the Speedy up any way they want but the original design will always be my choice.
    I remember the Clive Cussler Doxa 750 Pro that I had awhile back that was a limited edition to the movie "Sahara". I was very disappointed that the caseback was enscribed with "Dessertland Entertainment" or something like that. Who needs product placement on a watch?

Quote Originally Posted by jaytaylor View Post
    I'd like to see a Star Wars Speedy LE....................
    There is a limited edition Speedmaster in honor of the anime cartoon: Galaxy Express 999. So anything is possible.

When you think about it, Omega can never change the original Speedy Pro design, so isn't this the best way to get the most out of it? That is, change it constanty without ever actually changing it . I think it's great.
    Omega Aqua Terra 2504.50 | 2518.50 ​| Railmaster 2503.52 | SMP Ti 2231.50 Grand Seiko HAQ SBGX063 | HAQ SBGF021 Rolex Datejust 116200 | Explorer 114270 Tudor Black Bay IWC Mark XVI 325504 TAGHeuer Carrera CV2010 | ​Link WJF2112

I thought I liked this watch until someone pointed out in the other thread that it's the colours of the French flag which has completely put me off.

er... is it wrong that I think that looks quite cool?

Omega are scraping the barrel somewhat, but to be honest, I don't care. A Speedmaster is a Speedmaster, at the end of the day.

cheers.
    Breitling Super Avenger
    Breitling SuperOcean
    Bremont MBII
    Bremont ALT1-P
    Casio G-Shock Aviator GW-3000B
    Omega Seamaster 2541.80
    Seiko Black Monster
    Seiko SKX007
    Suunto Core "All Black"
    Suunto Core Alpine Edition
    Suunto Vector
    Tissot Sea-Touch.

"When the weight of the paper equals the weight of the airplane, only then you can go flying."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information