Watchuseek, The Most Visited Watch Forum Site ... In The World.

Any reviews on Speedmaster racing?

Thread: Any reviews on Speedmaster racing?

Tags: None
  1. scrooge said:

    Any reviews on Speedmaster racing?

    I have my eye on the Speedmaster racing with black dial and steel bracelet. It has the new 3330 movement, and reading everything I could find on the subject seems to be a really nice movement. But.. does nobody own one? I haven't seen a single review or posting about it even though it's been out for several months.

    So, is there something I am missing, like this watch maybe isn't as fantastic as I would like to think?
     
  2. Mcbeck's Avatar

    Mcbeck said:

    Re: Any reviews on Speedmaster racing?

    The site "A Blog to Read" .... scratch that, now A Blog to Watch, has good reviews on a lot of watches.

    Found his hands-on post about the Speedmaster Racing edition: Omega Speedmaster Racing Watches Hands-On
    Martin

     
  3. Undersköterskan's Avatar

    Undersköterskan said:

    Re: Any reviews on Speedmaster racing?

    I still haven't seen a single picture of the 3330 movement, nor any in-depth information about its origin. Some say it's based on the ETA 7750 (which I doubt; I guess it might be possible to incorporate a co-axial escapement in the 7750 but hardly a column wheel with vertical coupling which the 3330 is said to have), others that it is based on an unknown ETA-movement made exclusively for Longines. I'd love a picture of the 3330, surely there must be a picture somewhere ?
    The nr 1 watch community in Sweden: www.klocksnack.se
     
  4. AAMC's Avatar

    AAMC said:

    Re: Any reviews on Speedmaster racing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Undersköterskan View Post
    I still haven't seen a single picture of the 3330 movement, nor any in-depth information about its origin. Some say it's based on the ETA 7750 (which I doubt; I guess it might be possible to incorporate a co-axial escapement in the 7750 but hardly a column wheel with vertical coupling which the 3330 is said to have), others that it is based on an unknown ETA-movement made exclusively for Longines. I'd love a picture of the 3330, surely there must be a picture somewhere ?
    The "unknow ETA" Logines exclusive is the ETA A08.L01 (Longines L688)

     
  5. Undersköterskan's Avatar

    Undersköterskan said:

    Re: Any reviews on Speedmaster racing?

    Wonderful, AAMC ! Thank you for the picture. A stunning movement. When it comes to Omegas version of it, it must have another balance though considering the co-axial escapement requires a free-sprung balance. The rotor is most likely shaped in another way aswell. Love the sight of that movement though. The big question remains though: How come Omega developed this caliber when they already have a column wheel chrono with vertical coupling and co-axial escapement in the 3313 since 10 years back ?
    The nr 1 watch community in Sweden: www.klocksnack.se
     
  6. scrooge said:

    Re: Any reviews on Speedmaster racing?

    As to why Omega switched from the 3313 to the 3330, my opinion is that it's either because
    • they were not happy with the performance (leading to more after sales repairs and costs), and/or
    • they can make a bigger profit by using the 3330

    This is of course my own opinion, and there seems to be an infected debate regarding the 3313 movement that I'd like to stay clear of. The point that I'd like to make is that a business tends to make decisions that will make them more money.

    Quote Originally Posted by Undersköterskan View Post
    Wonderful, AAMC ! Thank you for the picture. A stunning movement. When it comes to Omegas version of it, it must have another balance though considering the co-axial escapement requires a free-sprung balance. The rotor is most likely shaped in another way aswell. Love the sight of that movement though. The big question remains though: How come Omega developed this caliber when they already have a column wheel chrono with vertical coupling and co-axial escapement in the 3313 since 10 years back ?
     
  7. scrooge said:

    Re: Any reviews on Speedmaster racing?

    Thank you!

    That seems like a neat blog, and I had not seen that hands-on post.

    But.. Still can't find any reviews or posts from an actual owner of the new racing series. Why is that?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mcbeck View Post
    The site "A Blog to Read" .... scratch that, now A Blog to Watch, has good reviews on a lot of watches.

    Found his hands-on post about the Speedmaster Racing edition: Omega Speedmaster Racing Watches Hands-On
     
  8. NielsZ said:

    Re: Any reviews on Speedmaster racing?

    I too would've expected more photos and reviews of this watch.. Obviously they are not selling like hotcakes ;) Perhaps because this model covers a niche marketed at a younger audience with it's more sporty look and automatic calibre which unties itself from the 321 calibre heritage. Which leads me to the point that it maybe has some dificulties competing with the all time classic Speedmaster Professional? Just some thoughts of course..
    - We are all but small cogs in the great machine that is life -
     
  9. sashko said:

    Re: Any reviews on Speedmaster racing?

    Hi All,

    I'd like to add my own research on the topic, if I may. I'm also considering a Speedmaster Racing, and have emailed Omega to send me a pic of the cal.3330. We'll see if I get a response.

    My understanding is that this movement is indeed a substantial upgrade of the ETA A08.L01 (Longines L688.2) with the addition of 3 level Daniels escapement, free sprung VIB balance and Si14 hairspring, these mods
    add 4 jewels, though we don't know as yet what aesthetic differences there are, knowing Omega, the Cal.3330 will look quite different from the base ETA movement and be devoid of any ETA markings on the baseplate, in lew of an Omega emblem.

    It's also likely the Cal.3330 is better finished, has a different shaped rotor and maybe features ceramic bearings.

    The geneology of the calibre is quite simple. The 3330 is of course an upgrade of the L688.2, but this movement was in turn a column wheel, VC upgrade to the ETA 7753, which we all know is the tri-compax mod of the Valjoux 7750.

    This is nothing new, I believe La Joux Perret, first converted the 7750 to a Column wheel design for use in the Panerai rattrapante a few years back.

    So, yes, the cal.3330 is based on the 7750, but only in terms of the basic wheel train, the design is so much more sophisticated and expensive that it would be unfair to put the two in the same class.

    What it does mean though, is that the 3330 has a great sturdy, reliable base movement underneath, which should mean that there are no reliabiity issues in the future. The timekeeping is also reported to be excellent,
    also due to the 'Omegatization' of the regulator and escapement.

    All in all the Speedy Racing seems like a great value buy, it also looks fantastic in the flesh, I found some pictures made it look quite cheap until I saw one in real life.

    At a street price of around 3200USD, I don't think there is anything out there that can compete with this watch, remember the movement might not be in the same leage as a 9300, but in terms of functionality and tech it
    seems to be at the top level of chronograph movement design. Plus Omega cases and dials are now top-tier, so the price difference btw this and a Longines L688.2 based watch is academic, the Omega is much nicer, and
    will hold it's value better long term.

    Hope this helps.

    Alex
    Last edited by sashko; May 19th, 2013 at 12:00. Reason: typos
     
  10. zak98 said:

    Re: Any reviews on Speedmaster racing?

    hi all, new to this forum.. have been on rolex forums for years. so looking forward to this new environment as well! i just purchased one of these. NIB. looking forward to getting it this week and will post some pics as soon as it arrives. thanks!
    Last edited by zak98; June 4th, 2013 at 04:04.
     

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2