Thread: Autos: How long on the wrist each day to stay wound?

Autos: How long on the wrist each day to stay wound?

So I know the answer will be 'it varies on how much you move around, etc.', but I'm just looking for a ballpark here.

My one watch is a manual wind (Speedy) and it looks like I'm about to pick up an automatic Seamaster, my very first auto.

Speedy is my 'daily wearer' for work and going out, but I plan to give the Seamaster some wrist time, in particular during recreational times, camping, cottage etc.

I'm sure I will pick up an electric winder for it soon enough, but in the meantime I'm curious how long I should keep the auto on my wrist each day to keep it running. Would 2-3 hours a day suffice?

thanks!

I love my Speedy Pro 3570.50, bought new in Dec/09...
    Closely followed by a Seamaster Pro 2254.50 six weeks later!

Ozy

Re: Autos: How long on the wrist each day to stay wound?

In my opinion, 2-3 Hours may not be enough, per day - unless you were quite active with it.
    I use a watch winder as I have 4 auto's and I believe the settings simulate 6 hours of wear daily.

2-3 won't be enough if you only wore it just working at a desk, but if that included driving a car or walking to work.... would probably be adequate.

According to my experiences, 2-3 hours is not enough. Watch winder is recommended in such cases.
    * AP Royal Oak 15300ST (2011) - Black Dial - Steel bracelet
    * Breitling Colt II Quartz (2009) - Blue Dial - Professional II bracelet
    * Omega Speedmaster Pro 145.022 (1969) - Black Dial - 1171+633 bracelet
    * Rolex Submariner Date 116610LN (2010) - Black Dial - Oyster bracelet

+1 I agree. Though I don't have a watch winder, I just manually wind the watch and set the time when I wear the watch. I tend to get a time-only watch, or that plus the day of month. The one that does Day-Date is a pain in the butt to set, too, so would benefit from a winder.
    ==
    Bulova Accutron 218 (c 1970's) (retro techno, daily rotation)
    Cyma Sub Professional (Quartz, Gold and SS) (Got as gift ... and fell in love ... and it's a quartz! )
    Omega Seamaster DeVille Automatic (c 1960's) (First Omega, fawncy-wear!)
    Omega Speedmaster Professional (Moon Watch) (favorite Omega, daily rotation)
    Rado Original Diastar (SS, Day&Date) (First mechanical I owned, daily rotation)
    Bali Ha'i Project The Bali Ha'i (SS) (Diver with Tiki-power! )
    Magrette Regattare Moana Pacific (fun fashion watch, occasional wear)
    ==
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." ~Bene Gesserit prayer from Dune

As far as watch winders, do you recommend using them for all of the watches? If I have a watch I wear once a week, should I keep it on the winder or let it stop itself?

Ozy

Quote Originally Posted by gilbertpsk View Post
    As far as watch winders, do you recommend using them for all of the watches? If I have a watch I wear once a week, should I keep it on the winder or let it stop itself?
    I maintain all my Auto's on a winder, I tend to wear each one daily or twice a week.

If your going to wear it for 2-3 hours a day anyways, just winde in manually.
    Sorry that some of my older photos are not working. picturepush is holding them to ransom by deactivating *free* accounts. People must pay to get theirs back. My new photos will be under a different provider.

Omega Seamster Pro | Omega DeVille | IWC Pilot Chronograph | Tag Heuer Formula 1 | Audi Quattro

Quote Originally Posted by anonymousmoose View Post
    If your going to wear it for 2-3 hours a day anyways, just winde in manually.
    Ditto on AM's comment...

I've been wearing my PO since last Sunday and I just gave it a manual wind...Got about 3 rotations until my over wind protection kicked in...Granted I've been wearing it 24 / 7 (Yes even while sleeping and showering)...

I agree with OZY. The less I have to mess with a screw down crown, the better. It's a winder for me period.

Thread Information