Bought Speedy Pro from FAD... some questions about Omega ownership/servicing (long)

Thread: Bought Speedy Pro from FAD... some questions about Omega ownership/servicing (long)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bought Speedy Pro from FAD... some questions about Omega ownership/servicing (long)

I just ordered a new 3570.50 from the forum AD earlier this afternoon, now I just wait until it arrives on Wednesday. I'll try to get pics up when it arrives.

However, this will be my first Omega, so I'm not too familiar with the service system. And from what I've read on various forums, a fair amount of new Omegas seem to have problems out of the box. This, coupled with what I've read to be a very poor service department, can mean a lot of problems down the line.

My question: if my watch starts acting erratically, say, 2 months from now, what are my options? I'll likely contact the FAD, but I'm sure it'll ultimately be shipped off the the service center. But from the "sticky" post on this forum, the NJ SC is apparently a no-no. Does that mean the only other options are to ship it off to Bienne or to pay a local watchmaker to work on it? On a tangent, I know the Speedy Pro isn't chronometer certified, but what if it's +35 seconds/day or something borderline ridiculous? Will that be serviced?

Seiko's NJ service center (COSERV) doesn't have the greatest reputation, but I spoke to some of their guys on the phone, and they gave me a sense of confidence in their work. I needed some minor work on the caseback and gasket of one of my watches, and it came back with a scratch on the caseback.

I'm fortunate enough to live driving distance from Rolex's Beverly Hills service center, so I took my watches there to have some fixed links removed for a better fit, and they took care of that with NO problems at all. No scratches, no nothing. Then they gave me some free polishing clothes and a small carrying bag. This is what I expect from a service department for a manufacturer of expensive (>$1K) watches. The impression I have is that Omega doesn't offer this. Am I wrong?
    My Collection:
    Casio G-Shock GW-M5600-1CR
    Seiko Kinetic Auto Relay 5J21-0A10
    Seiko SKX031
    Seiko blue Atlas SKZ209
    Seiko Spirit GMT SBQJ015
    Seiko SKX781 Orange Monster
    Seiko SCVF001 titanium diver
    Seiko SBDX001 Marinemaster 300M
    Grand Seiko GMT SBGM027
    Hamilton Khaki Field Automatic
    Rolex Explorer I 114270
    Rolex Submariner-date 16610
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 3570.50
    Stowa Flieger Original 1
    Stowa Marine Original
    Stowa Marine 6425
    Tudor Pelagos 1
    Tudor Heritage Chrono

Re: Bought Speedy Pro from FAD... some questions about Omega ownership/servicing (long)

hey Dave...glad to see youve come to a decision (FINALLY! heheh). Im sure you wont regret it one bit :)
    In regards to the small issues like getting your watch sized, any AD or Omega boutique would be more than happy to do it for you. That has been my experience anyways. Ive had no problems asking for a lil bit of extrea service, and whilst at it niggle my way into some free gifts also! Sometimes its also down to how friendly your sales staff are. Theres always room for some extra free service i say!, it definitely goes a loong way :P

Goodluck with it, hope to see some fine pics of that speedy when it does arrive !
    Regards,
    Ian

Instagram: Hidden Content

Re: Bought Speedy Pro from FAD... some questions about Omega ownership/servicing (long)

Do you think it'll matter to the local ADs that I didn't buy my watch at their store?

Sizing shouldn't be an issue, I'm talking about stuff that'll require opening of the caseback. For example, if it needs regulation for better timekeeping accuracy.

Quick qusetion about "Boutique" stores. There's only one remotely close to my area, in Beverly Hills, but I'd rather not go there if I don't have to (traffic and distance, don't want to do again). What does the boutique offer that the regular ADs don't?
    My Collection:
    Seiko SKX031
    Seiko blue Atlas SKZ209
    Seiko Spirit GMT SBQJ015
    Grand Seiko GMT SBGM027
    Rolex Explorer I 114270
    Stowa Flieger Original 1
    Stowa Marine Original
    Stowa Marine 6425
    Tudor Pelagos 1
    Tudor Heritage Chrono

A couple of months ago I also bought a Speedy Pro from the Fav AD. After a week the watch started loosing time (over a minute a day) and the Tachy hand wasn`t reseting properly. I gave him a call and he sent me a new one.
    "It has been my observation that most people get ahead during the time that others waste." Henry Ford

As far as i know..'bigger jobs' like opening caseback etc, an AD would not do it as the warranty will be void. Im pretty sure however that boutique service centres are able to do it. there was a thread which touched upon this Jared - is this normal?.

AS far as what the boutiqes have over ADs....youve got me there! im not really sure apart from that service fact. I know that you can probably get larger discounts through the AD than through the Boutiques. but like some have said, if the watch is new and there is a problem for watever reason..both the AD and Boutique can jsut replace it for you.
    Regards,
    Ian

Instagram: Hidden Content

Dave, congratulations on the Speedy.

I understand that the Omega service center in LA is good believe it or not.

But discuss your issues with the FAD and I'm sure his will give you some good advice.

Looking forward to the photos!

Fr. John+
    73 & GB!

Fr. John†

No man gets to heaven all by himself, alone. Thomas Merton

Quote Originally Posted by jmsrolls View Post
    I understand that the Omega service center in LA is good believe it or not.
    What service center? Do you have an address/contact info? Or do you mean the Boutique shop?

Hopefully, the watch stays perfect and has no issues at all. After all, it's new!
    My Collection:
    Seiko SKX031
    Seiko blue Atlas SKZ209
    Seiko Spirit GMT SBQJ015
    Grand Seiko GMT SBGM027
    Rolex Explorer I 114270
    Stowa Flieger Original 1
    Stowa Marine Original
    Stowa Marine 6425
    Tudor Pelagos 1
    Tudor Heritage Chrono

Cross that bridge when you come to it. I have owned many new/old Omega without any problems.

I doubt you'll have any problems.
    IWC Aquatimer 3767-02
    Omega Speedmaster 20th Anniversary 1450 Bracelet
    Tudor Heritage Monte Carlo
    Tag Heuer Indy 500 100th Anniversary
    Casio MD-703 Gold Dial
    Casio MD-703 White Dial
    Casio MD-703 Black Dial
    Casio AQ 600W White Dial
    Casio MQD 2000W PVD Case
    Vintage Bulova Barracuda Diver

Yes, the LA service center is good. Have had 3 watches serviced there and every time, the work done was perfect. It's used to be called Walter Gooden in West LA, but it's now the Swatch Group repair center. Google Walter Gooden and it will come up.
    Speedmaster 3570.50, Rolex GMT2C, IWC Aquatimer 3568

Banned

Hi Dave,

Congratulations on you new Speedy!

Over here (UK) it matters not at all were you bought your Omega.

My local Goldsmiths branch help me with Breitlings and my Omegas resizing, valuing etc. and I have only bought a delpoyant and clasp from them years ago.

Let's see some pics so that Fr. John can issue you that club card.

Best

Al

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information