Broken Clasp

Thread: Broken Clasp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Broken Clasp

My PO is maybe 7 or 8 months old now, new from AD, and tonight my clasp on my bracelet stopped latching :( It'll stick a little bit, but it wont make the click when it latches and if i pull anywhere on the bracelet it comes undone. I've checked the dive extension, and it's properly secured. Anyone else had this problem? The only thing i can think of is that the springs in the latch buttons wore out :/

I know it'll probably be covered under warranty, but if my bracelet doesn't work i dont want to risk wearing it! I cant imagine being without my PO! eek! Any ideas on a self fix?

Update: scroll to post #10, problem solved.
    Last edited by 3d Nirvana; December 15th, 2009 at 22:09.

Re: Broken Clasp

Probably time to take some photos of the latch and so on. However, I'd just get a nice strap for now.
    Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity. Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    Probably time to take some photos of the latch and so on. However, I'd just get a nice strap for now.
    Smart man.

"Man fears time; time fears the Pyramids"

It could just be some grit or muck in the clasp, give it a good wash, ultrasonic if you have one.

If that does not work, I would just get it sorted by the AD if the warranty includes the bracelet, just tell them you do not want to send the whole watch just the bracelet repaired.

Get a nice strap of your choice, and carry on wearing you watch. I personally have nice old fashoned expandable bracelets on most of my watches they are so comfortable, but I still have my original omega bracelet on my SMP.

I suspect that the bracelet would just be a miss-alignment in the clasp mech, but I would bet they will send it back to Omega for repair.

Peter

Hi, just take a good look at the dive extension...I had the same problem when I first got my PO and played around with it. There is a little pin that has to go under the springbar that holds the extension. Think I found pictures of it somewhere on this forum.
    Hope I was clear, will look for the pictures.
    Good luck.

Thanks for the replies guys. I double checked the divers extension, and it is correctly latched. I cleaned it throughly with a tooth brush and it still doesn't latch correctly. It looks like the button on the left doesn't come back out all the way when I push it in to unlatch it.

I guess I'll make a trip to an AD tomorrow and see about sending it in :/

For a strap + deployment, how much should I be expecting to spend?

Oh an I would take some photos M4tt, but there's not much to see. It the left button just doesnt get pushed back out as forcefully as it should, thus it doesn't completely latch.

Quote Originally Posted by 3d Nirvana View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys. I double checked the divers extension, and it is correctly latched. I cleaned it throughly with a tooth brush and it still doesn't latch correctly. It looks like the button on the left doesn't come back out all the way when I push it in to unlatch it.

I guess I'll make a trip to an AD tomorrow and see about sending it in :/

For a strap + deployment, how much should I be expecting to spend?

Oh an I would take some photos M4tt, but there's not much to see. It the left button just doesnt get pushed back out as forcefully as it should, thus it doesn't completely latch.
    its just the clasp needs opening were the slot and hole is needs opening up a tad or closing your ad will sort it.

Quote Originally Posted by 3d Nirvana View Post
    My PO is maybe 7 or 8 months old now, new from AD, and tonight my clasp on my bracelet stopped latching :( It'll stick a little bit, but it wont make the click when it latches and if i pull anywhere on the bracelet it comes undone. I've checked the dive extension, and it's properly secured. Anyone else had this problem? The only thing i can think of is that the springs in the latch buttons wore out :/

I know it'll probably be covered under warranty, but if my bracelet doesn't work i dont want to risk wearing it! I cant imagine being without my PO! eek! Any ideas on a self fix?
    Check the diver's extension. If that is not closed properly then you will have the exact problem that you describe.
    DD

Just a little update guys, for anyone that was curious.

I took the watch in to my AD, and they said that the spring inside was bent and they needed to replace the clasp. $120 + Labor + 10% tax. When they gave me my watch with the new clasp I noticed it was one of the older clasps without the "PROFESSIONAL" text written on it. I asked for one of the newer ones and they said that none of them say professional, and they don't think its possible to get one with the correct text.

I thought that was kind of strange, so i decided to swamp my old clasp back in and call the FAD. He said that the clasp does NOT need to be replaced. Only a little spring inside was causing the problem. He dropped a replacement part in the mail free of charge and it should be here in a couple days. Cool eh?

Long story short, when in doubt, call the FAD, he is amazing! I am a very happy customer.
    Last edited by 3d Nirvana; December 15th, 2009 at 22:09.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information