Buying an Omega Speedmaster in Kuala Lumpur?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By girlyswot

Thread: Buying an Omega Speedmaster in Kuala Lumpur?

Question Buying an Omega Speedmaster in Kuala Lumpur?

Hi there,

I've had my eyes on a Speedmaster Date Steel on Steel (323.30.40.40.06.001) for a while and recently I finally got around to actually going to buy it from the official Omega store in Westfield (as it seems to be the only store in London that has that type of watch).

Unfortunately the 6 months I took trying to make the decision on whether or not to buy it punished me as the price of the watch had risen 25% since the first time I saw it (up from 1,900 to 2,450). In addition, they weren't remotely interested in negotiating - the best they could do was give me a free pen!

Given that I'm off to Kuala Lumpur in about a months time, I wondered whether it would be possible to buy that watch (ideally from the Omega store there, but I might be open to other official jewellers - I'm just wary of being ripped off) for a slightly more sensible price.

If so, can anyone help me with the following questions:
    1. (The most important!) Is this a good idea?
    2. If so ... How much would it cost from the official Omega store? (2,4500 = about 12,000 MYR)
    3. Would they negotiate? If so, what is the minimum discount I should expect?
    4. Are there any other reputable dealers where I should look?
    5. How much would the dealers in (4) charge me? What is the minimum discount I should expect?

Any other hints, tips and advice would be really appreciated.

Many thanks in advance!

Re: Buying an Omega Speedmaster in Kuala Lumpur?

Prices in Malaysia should be cheaper
    Omega max discount should be about 10%
    (I think currently the US are the cheapest, because of the weakness in the USD)

You might want to try Watatime, Hourglass or Sincere.
    If you are good at negotiating, try asking anywhere from a 15-30% discount, insisting that you do not need a receipt
    (Warranty card is all you need for you to claim your warranty)
    And that you are here only for a short period holiday / business visit (gives them the urgency?)

Personally, I'm not really a fan of Hourglass due to their bad level of service (could've been because of how sloppy I dressed *shrugs*). But if you happen to pop by Mid Valley Shopping Centre, I had a good experience in Watatime (Ground Floor, Centre Court, opposite Body Shop). I got my Speedy there at 20% off (paid RM10k for mine) after some haggling and went off without a receipt. This was sometime last year though.

I would only suggest the Omega boutiques as an absolute last resort because they're really strict on their discounts (or the lack thereof, heh).

U can try to order the model from watatime deposit may or may not be required. Expect discount from 10-13% only due to strict control from Omega.
    Regards
    Chris

Omega Speedmaster Professional|Omega Seamaster Professional|Tag Heuer Indy 500|Tissot V8 MotoGP

hour glass is the place to go. If you wan max discount, do not bother much about service...and vice versa...

PS: you are able to get around 20-ish% discounts from them...

Went to KL a couple of weeks ago looking for an Omega. The Omega shop does discount a little, although I didn't work out how much by. I went back once and a different salesperson gave me a different discount. However ended up getting the watch from the forum sponsor AD at a better price.
    Dimer likes this.

Thanks for all your advice!

It sounds like I should email these places and see what they initially quote.

My concern is that if the price is extremely close to the standard price charged here in the UK (about 2,450) then it might as well just be easier getting it from Mappin & Webb in Heathrow Terminal 4 and avoid paying the VAT (which at 20% will be about a 400 saving).

Only downside is that I then have to travel with an expensive watch for the entire of the holiday!

Quote Originally Posted by moes View Post
    I got my Speedy there at 20% off (paid RM10k for mine) after some haggling and went off without a receipt
    A silly question I'm sure, but why does not getting a receipt mean you get a better discount? What sort of extra discount do you get without it?

I'm worried that without a receipt, I cannot add the watch onto my home contents insurance as I cannot prove its value.

Thread Information