WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Case polish and Omega service

19K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  boatswain 
#1 ·
I can't fine this specific info.
Is it possible to send an Omega in to official service, but only to repair cosmetic damage? My Seamaster does not need a complete overhaul (the movement is in perfect order, checked recently by my watchmaker), but i'd like to polish the case, and eventually to exchange the crystal (which has a small scratch).

#2 ·
I've had Omega handle a crystal replacement and polish only, with no other service necessary. If I remember correctly, they also require replacement the crown and any pushers as part of the service. It was less than a full service but obviously depends on the cost of the crystal. Give your local AD or service center a call and they should be able to give a quote. The one in NYC did for me.

#3 ·
Yes it's called a partial service and costs like $150-250 iirc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 · (Edited)
Yes it's called a partial service and costs like $150-250 iirc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can't comment regarding other markets but apparently this is no longer available in Australia. It's full service or nothing. You can specify for certain things to "not be done", but price remains the same, and since they don't get to do the full service, they won't provide a warranty on their work.

So I was told at my local Omega Boutique and was backed up by speaking to a watchmaker at Swatch group.

A good independent should be able to do this for you and will take your wishes into account.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Official website states:

Different types of interventions (other than the complete maintenance service and the restoration) can be carried out in relation with the service of OMEGA watches. Each of these interventions corresponds to specific operations, has its own recommended public price and benefits from distinct warranty conditions.
(my use of bold)

#10 · (Edited)
You've taken this passage out of context. That's from a warranty statement and is from the disclaimer at the bottom that is to specifically EXCLUDE any work that isn't a complete service or a complete restoration from the standard 24 month warranty.

Yes, they recommend a water resistance test and will happily undertake a pressure test for free annually. (or as often as you like I was told), but they won't actually change any seals as part of this. For that you need a service.

For a quartz 2 hander I was told that the battery should last 2-3 years, (requiring a full service) and the seals should be replaced every 3-4, (requiring a full service) yet the recommended service interval was 5 years requiring an intermediate service that was simply not available from Omega (AKA swatch group) in Australia.

The recommendation was therefore to undertake a complete service at every battery change.

I can't imagine ANY restoration, even a partial one being quoted for less than the cost of a service.

As I stated though, this is in Australia and I can't comment on what is available in other markets.

Don't take my word for it though.
OP - Why don't you just send them an email, or ring them up and ask them and then let us all know?
I'm sure they will be happy to advise you of their own policy.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

#8 ·
I just was in the Omega Boutique today for an 18mm tang buckle. The woman at Omega told me to bring my watch in every six months and they will inspect it and polish the case and bracelet and crystal free of charge. I will be taking them up on this deal.

#13 ·
Yes, but again, my quote was not "out of context". In fact, it was 100% relevant to OP's question: OP simply wanted to know if the company would "repair cosmetic damage" without doing a "complete overhaul". The quote answered his question by giving him the official company line on his query.

Warranties, prices, territory-specifics, etc are all other issues...

#17 ·
Yet again, you totally missed the point.
Of course they will undertake specific requests, including cosmetic repairs, but they WILL CHARGE for a complete service as this is now the MINIMUM service level that is available.
In fact, in this case the cost is likely to be HIGHER than a typical service as replacement of the Crystal is not included in a standard service and will be extra.
I was responding to a comment about the availability of a partial service at a reduced cost and, as a few subsequent posters have verified, this is no longer available in some markets, hence making it a less viable option.

Too many watches, too little time...

#14 ·
I need to go to an Omega center to check. I'm in Italy btw. My watchmaker can service the movement, but he told me that to perfectly polish the case some special equipment is needed, and he doesn't have it. The Seamaster's case has some curved and polished surfaces, so i guess it should be fairly difficult to polish properly.
The regular service costs (Omega site) 510€, and includes the case polish. The watch doesn't need a service, so it would be a waste of money. For a perfect look it would need a new glass (a barely visible scratch) a bezel change, and a case polish. It still looks fine though. If it's not possible only to polish the case (or it would cost like a full service), i would happily keep the watch as it is, and maybe only source a new crystal some time in the future

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Wrist

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Blue Fashion accessory

#16 ·
Not here they wouldn't. I sent it in for crown to be put back that fell off, and they wouldn't touch it without telling me I needed a full service. It was not really old enough to warrant that and it was running fine, but they held it to ransom, and unless I had the full service they wouldn't put the crown back on and would have sent the watch back to me with the crown that had fallen off, had I refused to pay for full service because they wouldn't just do that work. That was about 5 years ago though.

#18 ·
Well, frankly it is stupid to pay for a simple cosmetic repair (polishing), the same amount needed for a full overhaul (which includes also a cosmetic repair, apart from the movement ) . Who in their sane mind would do this?
At this point one can wait for when the need for a full service arises, and just keep the watch as it is in the mean time. Obviously i'm aware of the fact that they also will probably charge like 500€/$ for a crystal and bezel, even though those parts are worth, like, a few bucks.

#20 ·
I totally agree with you, and I hope that the information provided by multiple posters in relation to the original question you asked has helped you assess the viability, or otherwise of this decision.
I don't think we have a definitive answer yet and it still would be interesting to know if Omega/Swatch group in NA has officially adopted the same policies as they appear to have in place in some other markets to support Ken G's insistence argument that they still offer "Partial Service" as an option.
Irregardless of what I think of this policy, (and I've made my thoughts abundantly clear in other threads, so I won't bore you all with repetition here), I'd be very disappointed to find out that our North American friends have "special" treatment and access to services the rest of us don't.

#21 · (Edited)
Since a wanted to know if it was possible to change the Bezel, I e-mailed a local Omega Center, and they told me i have to send the watch to the Omega/Swatch repair center in Milan (i'm located in Italy), and they'll evaluate the watch.......Also that it'll probably cost me around 500 €.
Wtf? Are they insane or is this a common practice? :D
Omega watch site states a complete service costs about 500€. I refuse to believe that a simple bezel change (it's a pre-ceramic Seamaster) costs as much.

#22 ·
I just purchased a 2264.50 and plan to send it for a "partial service" here in Canada.
I want the case resealed to its WR so I know it is good to go.
I was told by my AD it is $220. Now I assume this is also potentially a can of worms if they find something else to fiddle with in there and don't want to release the watch unless it's up to their specs

This was given to me by the AD

#23 ·
Looks like they have different rules for different markets and our North American cousins get access to a range of services that lesser markets, (such as Australia), don't get access to.
At $220 Canadian dollars + shipping, it is almost worthwhile to send a watch from Oz there for a "partial service" if we don't need a full service and are prepared to risk shipping, insurance and additional delays...
Not cool Swatch group.

Am I missing something?
Other than a simple grab for cash, is there any logical reason for such a policy to be in place in Australia?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.