Co-axial movement: 2500 vs 8500?
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Co-axial movement: 2500 vs 8500?

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Co-axial movement: 2500 vs 8500?

what's the advantage of 8500 over 2500 co-axial movement?

8500 is a completely inhouse movement by Omega and has a longer power reserve, right?

Re: Co-axial movement: 2500 vs 8500?

The 8500 does have a longer power reserve. It still is really a Swatch (ETA) movement that is not 100% Omega in origin, even though they will try to push it as such. Really this doesn't matter IMHO opinion, it's more marketing than anything. Remember the lowly 7S26 Seiko movement is an in-house movement.

The 8500 was designed from the start as a co-axial movement while the 2500 is an Omega modified ETA 2892 movement fitted with a co-axial escapement that is currently in its third version, the 2500C. Hopefully they have learned the foibles of the co-axial with the 2500 and eliminated them with the 8500. My experience with the 2500C has been entirely positive, but the fact remains that I don't think that anyone can claim that the co-axial is actually superior to the Swiss lever escapement.

I am of the opinion that Omega is using the co-axial and especially the 8500 to gain a unique identity for itself as a brand.

NEG

Sorry but that is not really correct. ETA are used for fabrication only the 8500 is designed in-house and assembled in-house.

The 8500 has twin barrels and was design around a revised co-axial escapement layout to fully realise its potential.

the 8500 is designed in-house and assembled in-house.
    The 8500 was designed by Omega and manufactured 100% by Omega?

NEG

assembled in-house

NEG

"In an admirable show of honesty, Mr. Monachon also cautioned us that although the calibre 8500/8501 are completely designed and developed within OMEGA Granges, it is dangerous to call the movement completely in-house manufactured. Without the help and assistant of Comadur, Nivarox, ETA and Frederick Piguet - all within the Swatch Group, the success of this calibre and the Deville Hour Vision model would not have been possible. The objective is to manufacture the complete movement and watch within OMEGA premises but at the moment, only assembly is done within the OMEGA compound."

http://www.horomundi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152
    AndrewFromTexas likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RON in PA View Post

but the fact remains that I don't think that anyone can claim that the co-axial is actually superior to the Swiss lever escapement.
    The only fact about the above statement is that it is his opinion, and that it is not a universal one.

As far as the OP's question, you basically have it. Longer power reserve with two barrels, Co-Ax escapement, Free Sprung Balance, Full Bridge, (I assume that the rotor is on bearings of some kind) and many different versions will be made off the base 8500. (GMT, Annual Calendar, women's size etc). The decoration is very nice, and they have introduced on the Annual Calendar and the Women's AT the Silicon Balance Spring, which I assume they will eventually make standard in all their watches.

A fine line that will be difficult to cross in thought process is this. The movement was designed with SWATCH's resources. Swatch is using their resources to make this an exclusive movement for Omega. Same with Manufacture. So this is not an ETA movement, meaning that ETA only has a small part to play in what makes a Cal. 8500, ETA is not the sole manufacturer and it will not be available (unless swatch changes their mind in the future) to any other brand inside or outside the Swatch Group.
    James
    NAWCC Member.

Quote Originally Posted by NEG View Post
    "In an admirable show of honesty, Mr. Monachon also cautioned us that although the calibre 8500/8501 are completely designed and developed within OMEGA Granges, it is dangerous to call the movement completely in-house manufactured. Without the help and assistant of Comadur, Nivarox, ETA and Frederick Piguet - all within the Swatch Group, the success of this calibre and the Deville Hour Vision model would not have been possible. The objective is to manufacture the complete movement and watch within OMEGA premises but at the moment, only assembly is done within the OMEGA compound."

http://www.horomundi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152

There you have it. ETA is a fine movement.
    Hamish308 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AIKO View Post
    There you have it. ETA is a fine movement.
    But it is not ETA, to be most correct, it is a Swatch Group collaborated project.
    James
    NAWCC Member.

What do you suppose are the chances the 8500 will end up in the current aqua terra's that house 2500's? The reason I ask is, I think the designs for the older watches are so much nicer than the teck line up.
    I am a bit concerned with all the reports of 2500's going wrong and think maybe they won't last and in ten or twenty years time there may be a lot of paperweights out there.
    Also, slightly off topic, does anyone ever hear of the 2403 having reliability issues? I think the Railmaster is a gorgeous watch, but don't see why it should not have issues if the 2500 it is based on has so many.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information