WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Good decade for first vintage peice?

533 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  CajunMike 
#1 ·
Hello I am looking too get my first vintage Seamaster. Is there a good decade to go with or specific movement iteration/caliber that has and will hold up better and allow for easy ongoing servicing? Thank you for any direction to help my search.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

#2 ·
That's an interesting way of approaching things. Personally, I look for models that appeal to me visually and then read up on any potential shortcomings with the movement or design. If the caliber is - to use Omega's classification - "Complicated and Special", I might think twice about proceeding, but that designation hasn't stopped me getting vintage Seamasters I loved the look of...

I've got a feeling many will disagree, but I'd much rather wear a watch that looks incredible, but has an average movement than the other way around...

#3 ·
Hello I am looking too get my first vintage Seamaster. Is there a good decade to go with or specific movement iteration/caliber that has and will hold up better and allow for easy ongoing servicing? Thank you for any direction to help my search.

Servicing early Seamasters isn't as much an issue as the movements were used throughout the Omega lineup and availability isn't that scarce. It's going to be a "originality" vs "sturdiness" debate - original parts are key to keeping value in vintage pieces, but these parts will break down over time thus making the watch less reliable.

So unfortunately it's probably better to get a vintage piece for it's look and history, but don't expect it to be too robust. If you must have the vintage Seamaster look either spring for a watchco SM300 or the modern SM300 Master Coax.

See here for a great article by the venerable Archer on pressure testing a Watchco SM300

#4 ·

The seamaster line encompasses hundreds of models.. Can you be more specific? Are you talking divers watches or chronos, or dress watches?

#5 ·
The 1970's "Mark" series of Seamaster watches has the best combination of visual appeal, availability and resale value (strictly in my opinion).

My all time favorite is the Flightmaster.

Heres my album - Flightmaster by Nat Parkinson | Photobucket

#11 ·
..and a 56x caliber. The devilles were second fiddle to the constellations and were more widely affordable to the average person. Hence they are more widely available now and are really nice bargains and can be found easily under $500 in nice shape. Great movement and make great dress watches.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.