Identifying Seamaster
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Klasredin

Thread: Identifying Seamaster

Identifying Seamaster

I am new to vintage watches and i need help to identify this seamaster. How old is it and where can i find the serial number. Any information is appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Identifying Seamaster

Late 1950s, early 1960s. All the relevant info is inside the watch- calibre number and serial number are located on the movement, the reference number- on the inner side of the case back. So you'll have to get it open. If you don't have a wrench and a watch holder, I suggest that you ask a watchmaker to do that. Costs nothing to open a watch. If you don't know when was it serviced last, then you'll need to visit a watchmaker anyway.
    Collection: Edox Les Vauberts Open Heart(2012), Zenith Sporto(1969), Zenith(1948), Eterna(1952), Omega De Ville(1975),
    3x Tissot Antimagnetique(1939, 1947, 1950), Tissot Visodate Camping(1957), Doxa Anti-Magnetique(1950), Certina Club 2000(c.1975-1977), Turler/Roamer(1948), Caravelle(1972), Start(1958), Raketa(1967), Atlantic Seabreeze quartz(2007), Atlantic Silverstreak(1972)

I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

What is the face of a coward? The back of his head, as he runs from the battle.
    Francis J. "Frank" Underwood

Freddy believes, that if a fridge falls off a minivan, you better swerve out of the way. I believe that it is the fridge's job to swerve out of mine.

Thanks
    I am thinking about letting a whatchmaker fix it up. It does not run now, it belonged to a relative of mine. Probably not serviced in 30 years. What is a whatch like this worth in running and polished condition?

Don't polish it. If you do, you'll actually hurt the value. Movement service, maybe a new crystal (although I don't think that'll be necessary, doesn't look like anything Polywatch wouldn't fix), and a nice strap, that should be enough. First of all, valuations are a no-no here, and the value depends on far too many things to give one precise estimate. Omegas like this one are in the $200-500 range, depending on the condition, source (eBay, Chrono24, an antiques shop, a thrift store, a flea market stall?), and the averages also vary from country to country- what's dirt cheap in the US, can sell for a lot in Europe, and vice versa.

Not serviced in 30 years? Well, crap, sounds like there's gonna be a lot of parts worn. The oils in the movement last 4-5 years, and it's better not to push it. After 30 years, the movement is simply stuck with old grease, and just hope that nothing has ground to the death of it (I once bought a watch in a non-working condition, and I did have to pay quite a bit to get it working). Check out this "sticky" thread in the Vintage forum:
    Watch repair by geographical location (search engines)
    It'll (hopefully) help you in finding a watchmaker in your area.
    Collection: Edox Les Vauberts Open Heart(2012), Zenith Sporto(1969), Zenith(1948), Eterna(1952), Omega De Ville(1975),
    3x Tissot Antimagnetique(1939, 1947, 1950), Tissot Visodate Camping(1957), Doxa Anti-Magnetique(1950), Certina Club 2000(c.1975-1977), Turler/Roamer(1948), Caravelle(1972), Start(1958), Raketa(1967), Atlantic Seabreeze quartz(2007), Atlantic Silverstreak(1972)

I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

What is the face of a coward? The back of his head, as he runs from the battle.

Freddy believes, that if a fridge falls off a minivan, you better swerve out of the way. I believe that it is the fridge's job to swerve out of mine.

Thanks, a little late i know.
    I talked to a watchmaker in Stockholm here in Sweden. He said it could probably be fixed for round 4500 kronor (509 dollars)
    I mailed it to him so he can fix it and i will post a picture on it when the watch is ready for the wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by Klasredin View Post
    Thanks, a little late i know.
    I talked to a watchmaker in Stockholm here in Sweden. He said it could probably be fixed for round 4500 kronor (509 dollars)
    I mailed it to him so he can fix it and i will post a picture on it when the watch is ready for the wrist.
    cal 503 worth to service and restore but be sure that your watchmaker can get the spare parts because those can be hard to find
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

Hello again!
    The Seamaster is now cleaned, serviced and timed. I added a Hirsch forrest strap.
    The watchmaker gave me the serial number and according to that it's from 1961.
    It's case number is 14701 and the caliber is 562
    I think it turned out beautiful!
    Name:  IMG_0138.JPG
Views: 15
Size:  2.49 MB
    SeanoftheDead516 likes this.

Thread Information