Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Ikea clock to speedmaster conversion HELP!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ikea clock to speedmaster conversion HELP!!

hi guys i just got a cheap ikea clock to try and turn it into a speedmaster wall clock, i know this has been done before, by i think jean micheal was the one that done this before,

ok help i need, i can do everyhting, fitting image resizing and so on,

what i need is an image of the speedmaster pro that doesnt have a reflection of hesalite, i have googled, jeeved and yahood for this and cant find it, can you help?

this image will then be printed (to correct size) and then fitted to the clock (re-dial if you like) then the hands will be painted and altered to look like speedy hands

the clock will only have hour, mins, and secs, no chrono
    Terry Tibbs: Wooden Ladders,..... Talk to me !
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlzCa...eature=related

Planet Ocean...talk to me..

steady ...!

"You donít just jump into bed with Terry Tibbs, you take Terry Tibbs out to lunch, you wine and dine him, you give him an oil massage then he gives you £1950 if youíre lucky!"

unable to determine whether to post a comment or not?
    click here: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

Re: Ikea clock to speedmaster conversion HELP!!

Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post

what i need is an image of the speedmaster pro that doesnt have a reflection of hesalite, i have googled, jeeved and yahood for this and cant find it, can you help?

this image will then be printed (to correct size) and then fitted to the clock (re-dial if you like) then the hands will be painted and altered to look like speedy hands

the clock will only have hour, mins, and secs, no chrono
    What you need if for someone with just a spare dial, to take a picture.
    The only other choice would be to make one from scratch in a drawing program like Adobe Illustrator.
    This is what I would do to get the sharpest graphics.

Let the invisible man try to help you.

I too had a hard time finding a nice clear usable image of the dial. (It took me longer to find a pic then to actually make it). I eventually found one of Ofrei's pictures of their Speedmaster dial pages. Since I wanted the Snoopy version, I was in luck being that it seemed to be the cleanest photo to work with. I still needed to clean it up here and there but it's basically the stock photo enlarged.

http://www.ofrei.com/page343.html

I've posted this before and I've explained that the hands were cut out of paper plates. It was the closest thing I had lying around in my house that I thought could be used for such a thing I would prefer a white sheet of acetate or something but since it was a quick $5 project, I figured why not. You could clearly see where I cut and shortened the original plastic hands on the second hand. I simply cut it short, painted it white and glued on the paper plate hands.

Good luck with project.

Last edited by Tuff Gong; March 2nd, 2008 at 20:38.

"Fifty bucks? No, no, no. This is a Rouchefoucauld. The thinnest water-resistant watch in the world. Singularly unique, sculptured in design, hand-crafted in Switzerland, and water resistant to three atmospheres. This is 'THE' sports watch of the '80s. Six thousand, nine hundred and fifty five dollars retail!"
    "You got a receipt?"
    "Look, it tells time simultaneously in Monte Carlo, Beverly Hills, London, Paris, Rome, and Gstaad"
    "In Philadelphia, it's worth 50 bucks......."
    "Just give me the money"

you know after i posted, i thought about what i said,....re-dial....so i headed over to ofrei.com and went for the best pick (largest) there, and bam i went for the snoopy speedy dial.

i have printed it and mounted it, on the clock, i now have to do something with the hands and chrono hands, and you know what i have a cracking idea,

use 'paper plates' lol only joking,

no the plate idea is great, did you stick these new 'paperplate' hands to the original or did you just fit them as new hands?

it looks great by the way, the clock cost me £1, thats what the project has cost so far,

ill post some pics when done

steady ...!

"You donít just jump into bed with Terry Tibbs, you take Terry Tibbs out to lunch, you wine and dine him, you give him an oil massage then he gives you £1950 if youíre lucky!"

I cut out the little register hands and just glued them onto the dial. The large paper hands were all glued on to the original plastic hands after I cut them into short stubs. Just enough to secure the paper hands onto the originals.

"Fifty bucks? No, no, no. This is a Rouchefoucauld. The thinnest water-resistant watch in the world. Singularly unique, sculptured in design, hand-crafted in Switzerland, and water resistant to three atmospheres. This is 'THE' sports watch of the '80s. Six thousand, nine hundred and fifty five dollars retail!"
    "You got a receipt?"
    "Look, it tells time simultaneously in Monte Carlo, Beverly Hills, London, Paris, Rome, and Gstaad"
    "Just give me the money"

ok the job is 99% complete, i say 99% as i want to make the hour and minute hands thinner, this was just the clocks thickness of hands i matched.

other than that, i am very happy with it, i am especialy happy with the bezel, i didnt think it would work, but in the end i think it did, what you think?

i went with the silver bezel for two reasons, the first being it was the best image to use, secondly it matched the clock surround colour,

ingredients:

clock - £1
    prit stick - £1.20
    time taken - Sunday afternoon project

result:

Megalo Milo likes this.

steady ...!

Lol, awesome How did you fabricate the bezel? Is it just a piece of paper ring glued on to the clock? I didn't want to have a piece of paper 'floating' on the clock so I didn't bother. How does it look at a angle?

I see you used the original plastic second hand

It sure beats spending $300 for the ones on ebay

"You got a receipt?"
    "Just give me the money"

Did you use the larger Ikea clock with the flat square stainless trim or the cheesy rounded clear plastic one that I used?

"You got a receipt?"
    "Just give me the money"

i said ikea clock, just to show its low cost, everyone knows ikea is cheap for this kind of thing, i in fact got it today at the 'pound shop' where everything costs £1,

its 15 cm width,
    13 cm dial
    and 1 cm flat rim where the bezel is now sitting,

in answer to your question of the side shot of the bezel, it sits pretty snug so no gaps, just printed paper to size then stuck with kids stick glue.

if you look closely you can see its paper, but up on the wall, you wouldnt know the differance.

im thinking of going back and getting a few more, and 'converting them' to various omegas, then using them to display the differant time zones round the world i choose, then displaying them together in a line with the citys printed below each relevant clock.

the PO is next i think, now where can i get that dial shot.....
    Last edited by soundood; March 3rd, 2008 at 00:23.

steady ...!

Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    the PO is next i think, now where can i get that dial shot.....
    Yup, I was thinking about using the PO as the next project because Ofrei has some good shots of the dial. I put a hold on making it since I really don't need a another clock at the moment nor do I want to drive 40+ miles roundtrip to Ikea. Beside, I need to make the hands out of metal to look the part and that'll take a bit of time

"You got a receipt?"
    "Just give me the money"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information