Lets see your Transitional 861 Speedmaster! - Page 12
Like Tree131Likes

Thread: Lets see your Transitional 861 Speedmaster!

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Re: Lets see your Transitional 861 Speedmaster!

​excellent reference, thank you.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyAdam View Post
    Took two minutes (local watchmaker wanted two days and warned of crystal damage). Popped the DO90 bezel off, crystal down, with a plastic drift & a tiny ball peen into a pillow (thank you Videos | Speedmaster101) and pressed the new one on with a suitable plastic spacer and a vise. Worked perfectly without a hint of drama. Even did it twice to get the alignment just right.

I'm diggin' the new look too. All the black is killer and it's still a time machine to 1968. The Omega packaging even mentions the 145.012 - helping keep the experience feeling Pre-Moon. This dial is just too sweet to be surrounded by that high milage bezel. Maybe I can find someone to touch up the original without making it look worse. Anyway, it's been great fun getting this watch into shape.

Attachment 1489651
    Spacefruit's bezel removing method is pretty slick. I'm never keen on whacking a watch with a hammer, and mine usually have a movement in the case when I remove a bezel, but it is quicker than my method, which uses a razor blade, very light tapping with a jeweler's hammerÖand another slightly thicker blade to finish the process. My way takes an extra minute or so, but both methods should work fine. I'd recommend removing the movement when using the "poker chip" method.

As I mentioned to Adam, mine is a very high serial 1969 861 transitional with Applied metal logo in near pristine shape (3 slight blemishes in the dot over 90, dot below 70 bezel with appropriate metal bracelet for $3600.

Maybe a little expensive but I feel it's in really good shape and from what I can tell all original and genuine

30569xxx 69 145.022 861 $3600

Last edited by Frenchguy; May 15th, 2014 at 23:12.
    flyinghell34 and gippo like this.

My 145.022-68, 861 cal. A watch of many firsts: first watch I bought for myself, first speedy, first transitional, first transaction on WUS.

Temporarily on a NATO strap while I wait for the Bellini black alligator strap and the OEM deployment from CousinsUK.

flyinghell34, pascs, gippo and 1 others like this.

Chiming in with my 145.022-68, serial no. 265551XX:

Quote Originally Posted by Glickman View Post
    Chiming in with my 145.022-68, serial no. 265551XX:

Looks to be in perfect shape!
    I like watches.

To stir up some controversy, I've been thinking the term Transitional is just too dang vague. The transitional period tapers and jumps around with its .321 influences coming and going. Production dates and serial numbers bounce around like mad (sure seems intentional and a good way to lessen the impact of the .321 disappearing after becoming EVA qualified). Omega calling one version an AML .861 (actually it was MAL but Iím not going there) has also influenced me.

All have stepped dials as itís the last of the .321-only characteristics. A DO90 bezel pulls more bank ($) but I think itís a bit unfair to the rest of the chronograph if a DN90 bezel is period, original, with appropriate patina. Getting harder to tell if patina is 30 or 40 years old and Iím sure some sellers fake it so I can see why DO90s are easier to value higher; a distinct no brainer that itís period, probably original and has that lovely pre-Moon look (for those who notice a dot anyway).

To throw my two cents out there (who me?), this is how I define these terms at this point. I think this better describes the different styles of the era and also includes what is already an established definition.

Transitional - an .861 with .321-only traits (AML, stepped dial, and/or DO90 Bezel). Transitionals then break down into one of these more accurate categories/slang model references:

T1. AML .861
    T2. Pre-Moon .861
    T3. Post-Moon w/o Hippocampus
    T4. Post-Moon w/ Hippocampus, Stepped Dial

Just thinking out loud and Iím probably missing something. I can understand the desire for the established term to describe a completely .321-looking .861 but it's way too muddy at this point and the stepped dial is a significant look, IMO. Not to mention, there's more than one "Omega TransitionalĒ. Our watches deserve accurate nick names, no? A T4 being a Transitional doesnít take anything away from a T1 being an AML .861.

Kind regards,
    Adam

What defines pre and post?

I am guessing mine would be a T1, 861 with AML.
    Last edited by Frenchguy; May 23rd, 2014 at 14:50.
    I like watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchguy View Post
    What defines pre and post?

I am guessing mine would be a T1, 861 with AML.
    Pre-Moon = Moon Landing not mentioned on the case back
    Post-Moon = Moon Landing mentioned on the case back
    Spacefruit likes this.

Hey there

145.022-68 S/N 27324772

Name:  image65.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  228.1 KB

Name:  image66.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  218.0 KB

Best - Fred
    flyinghell34, gippo and larryganz like this.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread Information