Lets see your Transitional 861 Speedmaster! - Page 8
Like Tree131Likes

Thread: Lets see your Transitional 861 Speedmaster!

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Re: Lets see your Transitional 861 Speedmaster!

This is probably my all time favorite thread in this forum. I love when it comes back up to the top and Speedy Adam decides to come out of hiding to talk Transitionals.

This thread needs some fresh pictures to keep us Tranny guys happy. Here's my 1968 throwback Speedmaster.

Blaise, gippo, SpeedyAdam and 1 others like this.

hey adam,
    are you saying you bought another '68 speedy to swap the dial to your original '68 speedy?
    looks really good.

i recently bought a stepped dial to put on my '68 that also had a later replacement dial, unfortunately it's a painted logo, but a dot-over-90 bezel ;)
    Name:  other dial and bezel.JPG
Views: 531
Size:  130.1 KB
    Last edited by joe band; January 27th, 2014 at 15:19.

Re: My 145.68 ser #26.5564** Dec 68 Transitional

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyAdam View Post
    Going to kick this ol' thread in the ass again. 265551XX is back to 1968 with some help from 265576XX (which might have been built within 10 days of 1XX but who knows with the different suppliers/scattered serial numbers, circa late November 1968?). Here's a candid iPhone pic of him hangin' with his homies. I just picked him up after work (graveyard shift at the data center) and half-way through this Crown & Coke I wanted to take a pic capturing his new look, that he hasn't had since the 1980s. (I also picked up a stepped dial with a painted logo because I'm not sure what this watch came with originally, I've seen other 26555XXXs with painted logos on stepped dials (that conceivably wouldn't have been installed during a service before 1971). My local watchmaker didn't believe me when I told him there were .861s with AMLs.

Attachment 1359762
    Hey Adam,
    I might be confused...but are you saying. You have a Transitional with a serial of 265576XX?
    Cause, so do I!

Either that or I totally misread your post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the kind words, guys. It's been great fun hashing this out.

Joe, a '68 was being parted out and donated its dial to my '68. A damaged watch saved the life of another. Similarly to one of your '68s, when I bought my watch it had a replacement dial.

Did Omega use a painted dial to replace the original painted dial? With tritium AML dials still available in the 1980s, I'd say this is possible. Or was it owner preference to go with a more modern look? Was it a watch shop selling what he/she had on the shelf? That would make for one P.O.ed customer, I’d imagine. But Omega, on the other hand, was known to do what they thought was best - sell you parts and keep their product looking fresh out in the field. The same could be said for your painted logo ’68. Cool you have one with an AML & one with a painted logo. Nice duo.

AML dials might be, rightfully, more desirable but it seems painted dials were used by Omega as early as 1968. .321s & painted dials produced in the same year!? WT? Bezels with dots above and next to 90? The horror, lol. Models with different movements that look identical from the outside? Different hands here and there? A lot was going on in 1968. And admittedly, with services/repairs, a lot has happened over the years.

But I get why a .321 looking .861 is the “grail” of the transitionals.
    Looks like Aldrin’s watch, has an .861, produced in the middle of a production tornado? Yes please.

Mimo, here's another quick pic of my ’68, 265551XX (with 265576XX’s dial).

Name:  IMG_6091.jpeg
Views: 502
Size:  104.1 KB
    Last edited by SpeedyAdam; January 27th, 2014 at 09:02.
    flyinghell34 likes this.

How about a .321 with a painted logo stepped dial? And he knows what he's talking about because he's also selling (3) late .321s with AMLs & a Pulsations Transitional (all 1968). Hard to believe.

https://www.chrono24.com/en/omega/sp...arch/index.htm

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1390821274387.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  71.4 KB

Had to post a new shot. On the mesh.
    gippo likes this.

Thanks for the kind words, guys. It's been great fun hashing this out.

Joe, a '68 was being parted out and donated its dial to my '68. A damaged watch saved the life of another. Similarly to one of your '68s, when I bought my watch it had a replacement dial.

a '68 AML dial, you found the needle! congrats!

the last one i saw went for 1/3 the price i paid for my whole watch!

Did Omega use a painted dial to replace the original painted dial? With tritium AML dials still available in the 1980s, I'd say this is possible. Or was it owner preference to go with a more modern look? Was it a watch shop selling what he/she had on the shelf? That would make for one P.O.ed customer, I’d imagine. But Omega, on the other hand, was known to do what they thought was best - sell you parts and keep their product looking fresh out in the field. The same could be said for your painted logo ’68. Cool you have one with an AML & one with a painted logo. Nice duo.

AML dials might be, rightfully, more desirable but it seems painted dials were used by Omega as early as 1968. .321s & painted dials produced in the same year!? WT? Bezels with dots above and next to 90? The horror, lol. Models with different movements that look identical from the outside? Different hands here and there? A lot was going on in 1968. And admittedly, with services/repairs, a lot has happened over the years.
    thanks, but i'd take two AMLs any day. as it is, i'm going to swap out my later dial for the stepped one i picked up.

just to add to your speculation of omega dial chaos... a few years ago for sale on the bay, i saw a vintage, tritium, stepped, printed logo dial that had LONG hour plots. i wish i had snagged the pic, but i didn't. it sure looked to be an original, and not a redial. ??

who do you use locally? could you PM me, thanks
    Last edited by joe band; January 27th, 2014 at 14:25.

and here's an old pic i did find... tritium, stepped, AML, SHORT hour markers.
    Name:  hybrid dial?.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  59.6 KB

WAIT- a google search and this came right up, vintage, tritium, stepped, PRINTED logo dial that had LONG hour plots (same seller as speedy adam listed):
    Name:  2330799.jpg
Views: 931
Size:  16.6 KB

so there you go, take your pick; applied metal logo, OR long hour plots??
    my guess is these are both factory replacement dials, and not OEM as they left the factory on an actual watch.
    Last edited by joe band; January 28th, 2014 at 07:19.

Here's a shot of mine again. AML with stepped dial and long hour markers, the original hands (squared off Chrono hand) with a pretty even patina. I think it's also the original dot-over-90, dot-under-70 bezel.
    Unfortunately I think the case back was swapped for a 145012-67 (with a name and 1969 date engraved on the reverse). Unless the archives sines up with a so-far unknown combo, it should be a 145022-68 case. S/n 265576XX puts it in '68 production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SpeedyAdam likes this.

I'll play.... 145.022 '68, serial 27,32x,xxx

Last edited by Darlinboy; January 29th, 2014 at 03:08.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread Information