Lets see your Transitional 861 Speedmaster! - Page 9
Like Tree131Likes

Thread: Lets see your Transitional 861 Speedmaster!

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Re: Lets see your Transitional 861 Speedmaster!

Quote Originally Posted by mimo5000 View Post
    Hey Adam,
    I might be confused...but are you saying. You have a Transitional with a serial of 265576XX?
    Cause, so do I!

Either that or I totally misread your post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    To clarify, I only purchased the dial; as what's "good" from 265576XX is being parted out. I saw it pop up and he accepted my offer. I was shocked. The AML dial was still over 10 times the price of the stepped, painted logo dial I also picked up. Yowza!

The AML dial even had 2 small rust spots that popped off cleanly. Looked like very small, dry droplets of rusty water. Those and other minor marks cleaned up perfectly.

Still taking double takes when I check what time it is. Such a different look.

Cheers,
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by joe band View Post
    and here's an old pic i did find... tritium, stepped, AML, SHORT hour markers.
    Attachment 1360629

WAIT- a google search and this came right up, vintage, tritium, stepped, PRINTED logo dial that had LONG hour plots (same seller as speedy adam listed):
    Attachment 1360641

so there you go, take your pick; applied metal logo, OR long hour plots??
    my guess is these are both factory replacement dials, and not OEM as they left the factory on an actual watch.

Great thread guys.

And i am pretty sorry to spoil it with my non transitional watches here, but the picture Joe band posted about the steped AML with short hour plots is pretty interesting as i have about the same one in my 105.003 just without the
    word professional.
    May i ask where you found it ?

I already sourced a dot over 90 bezel, a correct crown and a correct second hand for it, now i just need a correct dial.
    By the way, even if it looks greenish everything is Tritium on this watch.

Sorry again for hijackin this thread.
    Hidden Content
    I wonder about Ed´s 2nd watch Hidden Content

C u

René

Lemania rules Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by sulaco View Post
    And i am pretty sorry to spoil it with my non transitional watches here, but the picture Joe band posted about the steped AML with short hour plots is pretty interesting as i have about the same one in my 105.003 just without the
    word professional.
    May i ask where you found it ?

I already sourced a dot over 90 bezel, a correct crown and a correct second hand for it, now i just need a correct dial.
    By the way, even if it looks greenish everything is Tritium on this watch.
    that dial was for sale on ebay a few years ago, i pulled the pic because it was so weird. IIRC it was for an 861. the second one with the long plots and painted logo is for an 861.

the fact that yours is for a 321, and is pre-pro adds to the intrigue.

Speedmaster 145.022 SN #265568XX Jan 20th 1969

Hello from northern germany,

on my favorite german "Uhrforum", I found this speed master, got the possibility to buy it and I guess, this is a real "transitional model" with the AML-Dial, 145.022 68 ST Caseback, production date and "Dot over 90, Dot under 70, Tachimétre"-Bezel

Omega said this watch was produced on the 20th Januar of 1969 and was send to Persia, now know as Iran.

During a service in the 90s the dial was cleaned (so-called "shaved" ?) from the Tritium, while the hands got new Tritium before it was forbidden to be used any longer. Therefore the

I changed to case back to a Thomas Preik glas back to preserve the originals good condition, to you got a nice view on the metal chronograph brake, used in the first 861s, before they changed to a plastic part and later, with the 863 and 1863, back to metal.

Therefore a nice watch...

Name:  Speedie XIII.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  90.7 KBName:  Speedie.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  49.1 KBName:  Caseback.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  292.5 KB

With kind regards

Sven aka Omega511
    Last edited by omega511; February 11th, 2014 at 21:15. Reason: Caseback picture added

Re: Speedmaster 145.022 SN #265568XX Jan 20th 1969

Sven,

Welcome. Beautiful piece you have there. Thanks for sharing it. I, for one, can't get enough of the Transitional pieces.

How about a picture of the case back.

Re: My 145.68 ser #26.5564** Dec 68 Transitional

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyAdam View Post
    How about a .321 with a painted logo stepped dial? And he knows what he's talking about because he's also selling (3) late .321s with AMLs & a Pulsations Transitional (all 1968). Hard to believe.

https://www.chrono24.com/en/omega/sp...arch/index.htm
    Not sure how I saw a stepped dial but it's not. So much for trusting this seller (and my eyes).

In other news, I was lucky enough to see Buzz Aldrin speak last week. It was pretty surreal seeing him in person. Incredibly inspiring. He spoke for almost 2 hours! A friend that came with me reminded me that his mom works at the Smithsonian. One thing lead to another and I've been talking with them about Buzz's watch. I shared the notes I've put together and asked for any additional information or clarification. Maybe I'll hear back with some more insight.

--Adam

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyAdam View Post
    Not sure how I saw a stepped dial but it's not. So much for trusting this seller (and my eyes).

In other news, I was lucky enough to see Buzz Aldrin speak last week. It was pretty surreal seeing him in person. Incredibly inspiring. He spoke for almost 2 hours! A friend that came with me reminded me that his mom works at the Smithsonian. One thing lead to another and I've been talking with them about Buzz's watch. I shared the notes I've put together and asked for any additional information or clarification. Maybe I'll hear back with some more insight.

--Adam
    new info on his watch is intriguing, very cool! where did you see him speak? he's coming here in july for the apollo 11th anniversary.

ALAMEDA, CA -- (Marketwired) -- 02/11/14 -- SAVE THE DATE-- In celebration of the 45th anniversary of the historic Apollo 11 mission in 1969, when humans first walked on the moon, the USS Hornet Museum will host Splashdown 45. This ever-popular festival, which also commemorates the daring, safe recovery of the astronauts and their command module by the aircraft carrier USS Hornet CVS-12, will take place Saturday, July 26, 2014 from 10:00am to 5:00pm, followed by an evening reception from 6:00pm-10:30 pm. All events will take place onboard the carrier at 707 W. Hornet Ave., Pier 3 in Alameda, CA. Special guest speakers include Apollo 11 astronaut and best-selling author,
    Buzz Aldrin, one of the first two men to walk on the moon. Aldrin will be available to sign copies of his acclaimed book, Mission to Mars: My Vision for Space Exploration. Festival guests will also have an opportunity to meet Aldrin and other significant guests during the USS Hornet Museum's VIP cocktail reception and dinner in the evening. A press conference with Aldrin is being planned.

Quote Originally Posted by joe band View Post
    new info on his watch is intriguing, very cool! where did you see him speak?
    I saw him here in the south bay. He mentioned it on Facebook and off we went. My dad was even in town so he joined up too. Got there so early we were front and center.

I might have to join you in Alameda. I'm ex-Navy (bubble head) so seeing the Hornet is a nice bonus!

Name:  Buzz Feb2014.jpeg
Views: 518
Size:  245.2 KB

Wonderful thread, guys. Thanks for sharing all of your knowledge and photos.

Just got my 1968 ST Speedy Pro (there's nothing like vintage), all original except the crown, which I will replace with a correct one:

Quote Originally Posted by applebook View Post
    Wonderful thread, guys. Thanks for sharing all of your knowledge and photos.

Just got my 1968 ST Speedy Pro (there's nothing like vintage), all original except the crown, which I will replace with a correct one:

Stunning looking '68 you have there. Looks fantastic and welcome to the Transitional club. Great looking chronograph hand you got there too.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread Information