My first Omega: 1st Gen. Speedy Pro Moonwatch - Comments and Advice Please
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: My first Omega: 1st Gen. Speedy Pro Moonwatch - Comments and Advice Please

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My first Omega: 1st Gen. Speedy Pro Moonwatch - Comments and Advice Please

Hello, I come to the forum as a proud new Omega Moonwatch owner. I would like to seek some guidance and knowledge from the forum. Let me just preface this intro by saying I never would imagine owning a Moonwatch, based on the price alone, my daily watch is a Wenger day/date. I Inherited this genuine beauty June'15 from my father, didn't even know he had it. He worked in the space industry (Lockheed) in the late 60's and 70's. My immediate goal is to learn all I can about this watch, service, size bracelet, and wear it.

First sight was total intrigue, a well preserved relic from the past. I picked it up, winded it up, and voila, started ticking as new. I pushed the chrono buttons and it all works and lines up great. Put it on my wrist for size, felt heavier and larger than I'm use to and the bracelet was too big.

I am currently doing some research on the identity, restoration, and different looks and bands for this watch. I will likely bring it to a local watch shop to open the case and take some pics of the inside, (serial number and movement).

Condition, Appearance, Notes
    From what I gathered online, Appears to be a vintage 1969-1970.
    Hesalite crystal in excellent condition, very small scratches under magnification and a small scuff at the 1 O'clock position.
    Case and bracelet are in great condition with no major scuffs or scratches.
    Case looks original with no prior polishing, still has grime from normal wear.
    I came across a service receipt from 1995; local shop in San Jose Bay Area, $25 for the main spring and $95 to clean & oil. (what a deal)
    One concern is that when winding the watch, it does not stop, (seems to be a mainspring as others report similar issue on WUS). I can keep winding infinitely, it gets to a point after several winds~25 and makes a small click sound and releases tension a bit, like a wind over protection(but from what I read these watches don't have such a feature). I don't force it or over wind it, I just wind it about 25 times, and leave it at that, runs fine but only holds power for about 12 hours.

I called the watch shop who replaced the main spring in '95 to see about mainspring servicing and they quoted me $500 over the phone. Is this a good deal or should I consider other options for repair / full overhaul?

I took the attached pics with my iPhone. You can really see the detail and how grimy the watch is in places,
    I didn't even wipe it down before taking these pics since I know it's got to go in for service and cleaning.

Questions: Terminology applicable to my watch?
    What do these terms mean: "Smooth or Domed Dial" "Stepped Dial" "Transitional" "Dot over 90"

Any suggestions on servicing and how I can best photograph/document this watch?
    Any additional information on this watch would also be appreciated. (historical reference, rubber or leather band replacement ideas/sources, moonwatch pointers/references, etc..)

Website References
    Case with horizontal – or straight – engraving (which appears to be a more sought after model per some websites)
    "THE FIRST WATCH WORN ON THE MOON"

(Most of the black lacquering in the engraving is still intact on my watch...
    in contrast to The black lacquer as referenced on this website that has "long worn off")

Post-Moon Professional Speedmasters (1st Generation):

Shortly after the successful landing by Apollo astronauts on the moon Omega moved to commemorate the event by means of a specially engraved caseback... The exact begining and ending date of this caseback is not well known, but usage started shortly after the Apollo 11 landing timeframe and lasted until 1971 when the modern caseback was adopted. This is the caseback found on ST145.022's dating from after the first lunar landing to some point in 1971

145.022 straight writing | Speedmaster101

more blogging on this vintage Omega Speedmaster Professional 145.022-69

Price Chart: **Straight writing engraved back

Reference Poor Running Good Collector

145.022-69** 1850 2800 3300 5500

Name:  image1.JPG
Views: 613
Size:  1.15 MBName:  image2.JPG
Views: 608
Size:  663.8 KB
    Last edited by mbwatch2628; June 25th, 2015 at 18:08. Reason: resize pics

Re: My first Omega: 1st Gen. Speedy Pro Moonwatch - Comments and Advice Please

It looks to me to be an early 70's Speedmaster Pro, and not a late-60's "transitional" because it lacks the stepped dial and pre-moon case-back.

The bezel also has the dot next to the 90 instead of near the top of the 90 - see attached photo of a dot over 90 bezel and stepped dial, where the outer ring of the dial is not as raised as the center section, so the hour markers appear to be at two different heights.

Name:  48134-a6bfa275fa9a14c60e97e571eb7a4008.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  108.0 KB

The $500 to service is about right these days, although some guys will do it for $300 for established customers. Omega would charge over $700, plus they might replace vintage parts and that would hurt the value (DO NOT change the original dial, bezel and hands).

Replacing the crown is sometimes needed to be water resistant, and often pushers have been replaced, as well as the crystal. However, the crystal can usually be polished easily (but if you try it yourself you might rub the numbers off the bezel) at the same time.

Don't let anyone over polish the case either, as trying to remove dings and deeper marks with ruin the contours of the watch. They should only gently clean up the case by hand and leave the deep marks.

We don't do valuations here, but speedmaster101.com already did it for you - after a full service the watch is probably worth $3,000 if no other major issues or damage are present other than the moderate bezel dings, assuming the hands have not been replaced (they appear to have a patina too). The dial and hands should only glow under a black light, and then when it's switched off the glow will fade over a few seconds to a few minutes.

I'm a little concerned abut possible case corrosion at the anterior 5 o'clock lug and 2 o'clock pusher - but it may just be dirty. Don't try to clean it in case it's not watertight anymore. Have a watchmaker look at it.

AND KEEP IT FOREVER AS A FAMILY HEILOOM, and sorry for your loss.
    OMEGA * Grey Side of the Moon * Silver Snoopy Award * Ti Planet Ocean 8500 & 9300 * PO LM LE x2 * X-33 Solar Impulse LE * Seamaster Pro Ceramic +/- Chrono * Planet Ocean 2500 * 76 Speedmaster Pro * Ti SMP Chrono 2298.80 * SMP 2541.80 * WatchCo SM300 * '62 Seamaster DeVille * '62 SS Seamaster
    ROLEX * GMT Master II BLNR & Coke * Polar Explorer II 216570 * Black Exp II 16570 * Tudor Black Bay Red
    OTHER * Grand Seiko SBGX115 * Hamilton Harrison Ford Chrono * Bulova Moon x2 * Victorinox Dive Master 500 x4 * Luminox Atacama 1842 & 1923 + Colormark 3157 * TAG Classic 2000 & Red Bull Formula 1 * Seiko Astron GPS Solar * Seiko Prospex LE/PADI/SKX007/009/173 * Citizen Ti Perpetual Calendar + 300M Diver x3 * DLC Apple Watch * Egard Passages * Casio ProTrek Solar * Commander 300 * NTH Sub x2
    SOLD
    * Omega AT Quartz, Skyfall, MC, 2503.33 * Omega Great White GMT * Omega SMP Mid * Speedmaster 3513.30 * Rolex Sub Hulk & 16800 & TT Sub * Nomos Midnight Orion stolen * Rolex Polar Exp II * Omega CK-2998LE

Thanks for the watch input and condolences on my loss that really does make this watch much more special to me.

I see what your saying about the stepped dial and dot over 90. Is it possible to have a stepped dial without the dot over 90, or do these two features come together?

I can't wait to open it up and see the backside of the caseback and the movement. I'll post more pics once that's done. Hopefully there will be more information inside to better document. Everything appears to be vintage stock, the dial and hands glow as you indicated. I wont over polish or replace any parts other than the crown and pushers if needed. The watch looks great in person, hard to get a true pic, especially with my iPhone. The watch is just dirty/grimy, no corrosion. I agree with all your feedback and will proceed as you outlined and take it to a watchmaker to be serviced. The local watchmaker said he would give me a discount since the watch had been serviced there in 1995.

Quote Originally Posted by mbwatch2628 View Post
    Thanks for the watch input and condolences on my loss that really does make this watch much more special to me.

I see what your saying about the stepped dial and dot over 90. Is it possible to have a stepped dial without the dot over 90, or do these two features come together?

I can't wait to open it up and see the backside of the caseback and the movement. I'll post more pics once that's done. Hopefully there will be more information inside to better document. Everything appears to be vintage stock, the dial and hands glow as you indicated. I wont over polish or replace any parts other than the crown and pushers if needed. The watch looks great in person, hard to get a true pic, especially with my iPhone. The watch is just dirty/grimy, no corrosion. I agree with all your feedback and will proceed as you outlined and take it to a watchmaker to be serviced. The local watchmaker said he would give me a discount since the watch had been serviced there in 1995.
    I do believe that there are many early 70's watches are out there with a stepped dial, but most have a "dot next to 90" rather than DO90. The stepped dial was phased out before the mid 70's though, while the DO90 bezel was phased out a few years before that.

There are many late 60's watches that had both, but then the bezel or dial have been replaced over the years with a more modern equivalent, and loss of sentimental and monetary value to go with it.

Glad you could negotiate the service cost. Enjoy!
    OMEGA * Grey Side of the Moon * Silver Snoopy Award * Ti Planet Ocean 8500 & 9300 * PO LM LE x2 * X-33 Solar Impulse LE * Seamaster Pro Ceramic +/- Chrono * Planet Ocean 2500 * 76 Speedmaster Pro * Ti SMP Chrono 2298.80 * SMP 2541.80 * WatchCo SM300 * '62 Seamaster DeVille * '62 SS Seamaster
    ROLEX * GMT Master II BLNR & Coke * Polar Explorer II 216570 * Black Exp II 16570 * Tudor Black Bay Red
    OTHER * Grand Seiko SBGX115 * Hamilton Harrison Ford Chrono * Bulova Moon x2 * Victorinox Dive Master 500 x4 * Luminox Atacama 1842 & 1923 + Colormark 3157 * TAG Classic 2000 & Red Bull Formula 1 * Seiko Astron GPS Solar * Seiko Prospex LE/PADI/SKX007/009/173 * Citizen Ti Perpetual Calendar + 300M Diver x3 * DLC Apple Watch * Egard Passages * Casio ProTrek Solar * Commander 300 * NTH Sub x2
    SOLD
    * Omega AT Quartz, Skyfall, MC, 2503.33 * Omega Great White GMT * Omega SMP Mid * Speedmaster 3513.30 * Rolex Sub Hulk & 16800 & TT Sub * Nomos Midnight Orion stolen * Rolex Polar Exp II * Omega CK-2998LE

I dont know what Larry see, but from your both Pictures, i see a nice Speedy from 69 or 70 with an Stepped Dial.

To get sure, open the Caseback.

Service for 500$ isnt really cheap.
    Look for the User Archer. He is on this Forum already. Imho one of the Best Watchmakers for a Warch like yours. He is worth every $.

Jens

I just contacted Al Archer, in Toronto, if that is who you mean. I have read and heard many good things about him. He quoted me $500.00 for a basic service, excluding any parts that may need replacing. Money well spent!

Thanks for the information. It does appear to have a Stepped Dial, maybe not as clear in my pics. I'm itching to open up the case and snap some more pics, it's on my to-do list.

Here is another pic of the watch face with chrono hands all in top alignment. This pic also reveals some of the micro scratches on the crystal, it's looks just fine the way it is though.
    Name:  FullSizeRender(1).jpg
Views: 495
Size:  767.7 KB

I kept looking for the lume pips to take a step down in the outside ring, and without a slight sideview (from an angle) I cannot/could not easily see steps in his dial that look like the ones in the dial that I posted. Being so hard to see the steps, and having a DON90 bezel made me think early 70's
    SOLD

I really appreciate all the information thus far. I took the band off and wiped some of the build-up grime from the case with q-tips, it shines up nicely, no major scratches. Then, I took the case today to a watch shop and had it opened up, it was screwed on tight. I asked the watch shop to ID the year marking with his magnifying eye piece and it was.....a 145.022-69 (See attached pic) Woo-Hoo--that's my birth year!
    The inside movement looked as good as gold, all original and shiny. The watch shop commented on how nice the watch was. Expensive and complex to work on. This place just does minor services on watches, not these expensive speedy's. I am attaching some additional pics of the caseback and movement (with the SN 3162 XXXX whited out using Photoshop for security). I'm so pleased with the findings today and honored to have such a nice watch. It's coming along quite nicely, next I will be thinking of the mainspring service. Super nice Speedy Watch, loving it. Any additional feedback or words of wisdom, in respects to preservation/restoration, would be appreciated.
    Name:  image1.JPG
Views: 412
Size:  468.7 KB
    Name:  image2.JPG
Views: 409
Size:  809.6 KB
    Name:  movement_sn cover.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  868.8 KB
    Name:  image1(2).jpg
Views: 416
Size:  1.54 MB
    Name:  image2(2).JPG
Views: 414
Size:  1.04 MB
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have the exact same watch, caseback, and serial number that starts with 3161xxxx! These date the watch to 1972-73, but that date can vary by 1-2 years. This caseback was only produced for a short time, ending right around the time the watch is dated to.

The dial and hands do look quite new. Mine are aged and brown. It is likely the watch was in for a service, and some parts were replaced. I can't see any markings on the inside caseback to indicate a service, but the picture is not very clear. Also, I'm not sure that Omega does this when they service a watch, but they do replace parts so the watch looks as new as possible.

Do you have the original bracelet for it? Should be the 1171.

Bezel looks good. Lugs look nice and sharp.

Think how closely together our watch movements were made! We should see exactly how close the serial numbers are.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information