WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

New here! 18 years of age, need a bit of guidance. Pretty please!

2K views 26 replies 19 participants last post by  GoonersMatt 
#1 ·
Hello my brand new fellow forumers!

So I've been browsing this forum for a little while now. Thought I'd make myself account, get comfortable and prepare myself to get hooked like a Salmon!! However, my first thread is about mere guidance my dear boys and girls.

I've loved watches ever since I was a young boy, but only recently have I been day dreaming about buying a high end one for myself. I look at Rolex watches, I see huge price tags and people just paying those prices tags for the "name" and the brand. Although they're exquisite timepieces I will wait until I'm older. That brings me onto the Omega; I adore the Seamaster! Its my favourite watch and everything about it satisfies me. I'm the sort of person that will get their mind set on something, and won't stop until they get it.

This brings me onto decisions, I want to purchase the Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean, Co Axial with the orange Bezel. This is the one watch I have wanted for a while now. But is it worth it at my age? Its down to me to make that decision and nobody will change my opinion. But its nice to hear other peoples opinions and to take them on board.

I currently own this beautiful piece -

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

My Seamaster Professional Mid-size Quartz.

Its a beautiful watch, but I am a massive fan of the automatic movement and bigger watch face. And the 45.5m Planet ocean fits that bill perfectly.

So yeah, basically just saying my Hello's and wondering what people think!

Many thanks guys!!!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I was 17 when I purchased my first Omega. It was a electric blue SMP. I wore it about every day for 12 and still adore it. I would say if you don't think you will ever get tired of it, or at least for 10 years, go for it.

One word of advice, or at least preference, think about where you plan to ware it to long-term. Orange is quite a loud color. I was always a fan of the black bezel with orange markers. Also were you looking at a new 8500 or 2500 model?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Welcome to the forum! If that's the watch you have your heart set on then I would say," GO FOR IT!":) As you already have the SMP then there is no doubt a PO would round out your collection perfectly. I look forward to pictures of your decision:-!

#5 ·
I bought my first Omega, a SMP blue dial quartz like yours, at 20. I don't see an issue with a high end watch at your age because it will outlive you. 99% of people won't even notice what kind of watch you have so just do what makes you happy! I'm planning on getting the new PO42 whenever I find a buyer for my SMP.

#6 ·
I would venture to guess that most 18 years probably should not be spending $3-6K on a watch (depending on what model you are buying and where you are buying it).

That being said, everyone's situation is different so if you love the watch and can afford it without sacrificing the essentials, who are we to judge.

#9 ·
I look at Rolex watches, I see huge price tags and people just paying those prices tags ...
Welcome! The PO is a great piece, I never tire of wearing mine.

But- You do realize though that many PO models cost the same or in some cases more then certain Rolex models....

#10 ·
Save some money, all you should worry about now is saving for school, you'll see in a couple years, they'll come out with an even more amazing PO or something else that catches your eye, you may or may not be in depth due to school :) and a couple grand here and there being saved for school can help :) If you are uber rich throw me a couple grand over here and forget my comment :D

I got my first Omega, Constellation two tone at around the same age (20) and honestly when you start its hard to stop :D

Just be thankful you're only hooked on watches, I have 3 other expensive hobbies that make me work over time when an amazing piece shows up for sale :D but I'm glad I hoarded and had enough to finish my schooling because those loans would of imploded me :D

#11 ·
First thing you need to do is come up with a maximum budget you are willing to spend/afford. Going from a quartz to a mechanical watch is very exciting. If you can take it a step further and get an 8500 so you can admire the display back which will really make you adore mechanical watches. My first nice watch was a tag quartz then I got a Kreiger auto with 7750 and display back. You might want to consider used or find a place that will give you a good discount as retail will get up there towards Rolex. Don't worry about what people on here tell you you cant afford or not because of your age. Thats really up to you to decide. I know of a certain 19 year old in the news lately that can snort a POs worth in one evening in Miami like its nothing. At least you are investing your money on something worth while :) that you can enjoy for years.

#12 ·
I'm 21. At 18 I got my quartz TAG for my birthday. When I was a few months off 21, I bought my Pontos (which my dad now owns). Between last October and now I bought my two Omega's. That's how dangerous this game is.

If you can afford it, then I say go for it. I ain't judging your purchases, because I've done it as well! One thing I'd plug though, is the grey bezel over the orange. I chance that it will stand the test of time far greater.

Good luck with your choice mate, and don't forget to do your research, and have a strict budget :)

#13 ·
I got my first Omega at the age of 16. It was the speedy moon, I had saved up for a Rolex Explorer2 polar but when I walked in the store changed my mind when I saw thw speedy. That said at your age fallow your heart, it will be more of a fun ride ever time you look at it.

#15 ·
Thanks everyone! Some fantastic advice here. I have a solid job right now that pulls me very decent money, along side trading anything and everything (within reason of course ;) ) that will get me profit I make a decent amount per month. Money isn't an issue but I refuse to go over £2000-2500 after what I said about the Rolex. I went to college, felt like furthering a career via uni would ultimately waste my time as I know for a fact that I'd be going there just for the social side, and work would come second. This isn't what I wanted so I decided against Uni.

I'm actually jetting off to Australia for 3 months in June. Working out there for 2 months and after my last one month stint last year I can safely say I'm going to love it, and this watch will not only look fantastic but its practical in a place like Auss!

With regards to the actual PO itself, is the 8500 a lot more expensive? I love the back of that watch. It really fascinates me!

#17 ·
I hear Australia is an alright part of the world.

The 8500 is a lot more than the older models, but in my opinion it's worth it. Some prefer the thinner case of the older models, but that's just a case of trying one on (plus you get used to it fairly quickly ;) )

#20 ·
Goonersmatt, your initial inquiry reminds me of my thinking... " I should have bought that apartment in Sydney in 1977 for 30K!" Pretty well sure you will regret not buying your PO now, whilst you can...

And although your current Quartz Bond is a great "Go To" watch, bear in mind that it has a much less upkeep budget than a manual PO. But, there is nothing better than a PO, especially my modified version 2201.50 The best of both worlds, for Orange Numerals do not always sit into every situation!

#21 ·
Great reply Yande/Mark, that is a stunning watch. My current Quartz bond is actually up on eBay. I managed to grab it for a fantastic price, And will probably make myself a healthy £150-300 profit!

For me, the choice is between the one you posted and this -

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

If I were to go with an AT it would have to be the 8500 model (I think that's correct, the model with the Sapphire Crystal back to it?) Not entirely sure about price, but I'm sure it'll be slightly cheaper than the PO.

#23 ·
Like you, I've been into watches since I was very young. I'm 27 now and bought my first Omega when I was 19...promptly sold it and thus began the vicious cycle of flipping watches.

If I was talking to a 19 year old me, I'd tell myself to hang onto that first Omega. Others will come and go, but you'll never be able to replace the first one...

The Seamaster Quartz is a great watch, btw. Timeless design, low upkeep cost and superbly accurate. I'd hang onto that one if I were you.

#24 · (Edited)
Like you, I've been into watches since I was very young. I'm 27 now and bought my first Omega when I was 19...promptly sold it and thus began the vicious cycle of flipping watches.

If I was talking to a 19 year old me, I'd tell myself to hang onto that first Omega. Others will come and go, but you'll never be able to replace the first one...

The Seamaster Quartz is a great watch, btw. Timeless design, low upkeep cost and superbly accurate. I'd hang onto that one if I were you.
I've been flipping watches for some time, trying to trade my way up to something spectacular. I recently got a Speedmaster auto with date (with the silver dial), thinking i was going to flip it but i fell in love with the watch and looking at your words i think i would always regret selling this one if i moved it along. but now the money i have to buy the next watch to flip for profit is tied up......how Will i feed my watch addiction now? so I understand where you are coming from.

at 19 and you can afford a PO - nice! go for it, as long as you aren't sacrificing the essentials.

#25 ·
Well I'm 19 years old so I understand what you're saying, and if that's the watch you like, go for it!
I personally prefer the black PO.

And when it comes to age and what to wear don't think too much about that, just wear you want.

And if you still have doubts, for reference, see my signature, and compare my watches with my age. They suit me just fine.

Good luck!

#26 · (Edited)
Fair play to you younger guys buying nice watches at such an early age.
When I was you're age I was still wearing Casio's! :)
I was spending my money on wine, women & high living......the rest I just wasted! :-d
Didn't get my PO until my mid 40's and my DSSD followed a few years later.
Good on you. |>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.