Thread: Old Omega Desk Clock?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Old Omega Desk Clock?

Hello, I've been trying to find out more information about this Omega ball clock that I got awhile ago for curiosity and had no luck. Here are two photo's of it if anyone got a clue how old this is or anything. Thanks :)

Land of eternal sunshine (except when it rains)

Re: Old Omega Desk Clock?

While it is possible the movement itself is genuine (I kind of doubt it, but would need closer and clearer images to say for sure), the case itself is more than likely a fake. Omega did not make this style of ball watch. In fact, there are many of these "ball watch" omegas being faked and sold on eBAY. However, most of these fakes are usually smaller and have a cheap movement.
    Check out my collection at:

www.omegacollector.com

The movement just looks so 'stamped out brass'. and what the heck are "ball" watches anyway? are they a real curiosity from the past re-done for the ebay market or are they modern renditions of 'nostalgia'?
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

Got this in 1995 in Ukraine. I'll take off the glass and get better pictures when I'm home.

Omega Forum Moderator emmanuelgoldstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by v4npro View Post
    Got this in 1995 in Ukraine. I'll take off the glass and get better pictures when I'm home.
    The country this was purchased in says it all. I am usually not one to generalise but many of the watches coming out of the Eastern Bloc are franken-watches. I recently visited my fiancées family in the Ukraine, I couldn't count how many franken-watches I saw on the trip.
    “Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

-- John Maynard Keynes

Quote Originally Posted by emmanuelgoldstein View Post
    The country this was purchased in says it all. I am usually not one to generalise but many of the watches coming out of the Eastern Bloc are franken-watches. I recently visited my fiancées family in the Ukraine, I couldn't count how many franken-watches I saw on the trip.
    Sorry but does franken watch mean fake? Or parts from different watches put together?

Omega Forum Moderator emmanuelgoldstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by v4npro View Post
    Sorry but does franken watch mean fake? Or parts from different watches put together?
    A franken-watch is a watch that has been cobbled together from different parts. This is usually done to cheat buyers and trick them in believing something when it's not correct.
    “Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

-- John Maynard Keynes

Here's a closer picture(sorry, using a cell phone, I don't have a digital camera to get better detail).

JoeK is right, while OMega did make desk clocks and ball clocks this one appears suspect.

DB a ball clock has two very convex crystals (two glass half-spheres) that look like lenses and it was a bit of a fashion trend from the earlu 1900s up until the thirties. Below is an eight day "Goliath" which, as you can see, has superb craftmanship and design. The ball clock that I really hanker over is the ball clock with the cast iron cobra support - it is magic!

The clock above should have an enamel dial, the Omega lettering doesn't look right and I think it probably is a franken, but does bear closer scrutiny. Big pics and pics of case markings would tell if it is a confection or just a franken.

Cheers

Desmond

Quote Originally Posted by mondodec View Post
    JoeK is right, while OMega did make desk clocks and ball clocks this one appears suspect.

DB a ball clock has two very convex crystals (two glass half-spheres) that look like lenses and it was a bit of a fashion trend from the earlu 1900s up until the thirties. Below is an eight day "Goliath" which, as you can see, has superb craftmanship and design. The ball clock that I really hanker over is the ball clock with the cast iron cobra support - it is magic!

The clock above should have an enamel dial, the Omega lettering doesn't look right and I think it probably is a franken, but does bear closer scrutiny. Big pics and pics of case markings would tell if it is a confection or just a franken.

Cheers

Desmond
    Hmmm-cool. and to OP-I stand corrected. Maybe you got yourself an interesting piece of Omega history. (and if its pieced together? I guess its still based on a neat old thing and worth having around. enjoy)
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information