Omega 5000g Shock Resistance: What does that mean?

Thread: Omega 5000g Shock Resistance: What does that mean?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Omega 5000g Shock Resistance: What does that mean?

Hi Folks,

I was on the Omega.ch site the other day reading the FAQ page and noticed all Omega watches have a shock resistance of 5000g. What does that mean? I understand shock is measured by dropping the item from a certain height onto a hardwood surface. But what exactly is the reference to 5000g shock resistance with regard to my watch? I tried to research some sites on shock resistance, but came up with nothing. I even checked out the G-shock videos on the website, but they didn't really explain anything. I imagine the G-Shocks can withstand way more shock than my Seamaster Bond. So then, what would a G-Shock's resistance number be? 10,000g? 15,000? 50,000g?

jsbach

Re: Omega 5000g Shock Resistance: What does that mean?

I suspect that it means that if you put them very carefully into a machine that very smoothly decelerates them in a way that means they 'feel' a momentary 5000g they don't break. In my experience that means that you can drop one from your wrist onto carpet and it probably will not break, wood and it probably will break and stone will certainly invalidate your warranty in 8.3 picoseconds.
    Hidden Content Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity. Seneca Hidden Content

Basically don't drop your watch.
    *Nick*
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor souls who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat " - Theodore Roosevelt

a shock rating means nothing without impulse duration and profile. basically it's marketing.

it's also a heck of a lot higher rating than most mil-spec equipment.
    present:
    Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military

Hidden Content

U is for Uranium... Bombs!

Nicely put!

a shock rating means nothing without impulse duration and profile. basically it's marketing.
    I would assume that the the shock's duration and profile will at least make a show of simulating a landing after being dropped. The first thing to go in a watch that is dropped is the balance and the anti shock protection does make a difference. However pretty well every high end watch since the fifties has it and so I would assume that, with minor variation for different anti shock strategies; KIF, Incabloc, etc, all decent escapements will have similar resistance. Actually, on reflection, I would suspect that those with a deformable plastic movement spacer will cope with intense shocks better than those with movements that are bolted in. I'm actually in the middle of writing something about the way that high end manufactures add or advertise features that are, at best, irrelevant or universal. I wasn't going to, but I might well use this as another example now.
    Last edited by M4tt; October 30th, 2009 at 10:45.
    Hidden Content Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity. Seneca Hidden Content

It's the equivilent to

dropping the watch onto a hard surface from about 3 and a half feet. (True)

Re: It's the equivilent to

dropping the watch onto a hard surface from about 3 and a half feet. (True)
    That makes sense, however, to be pedantic, the Swiss don't use the foot as a unit of measurement. I guess you mean a metre, which converts to 3.281 feet?
    More to the point, the devil is in the details. Both pine wood and granite are hard, but they will have very different shock profiles. More to the point, simply dropping something would introduce too many variables to be a reliable test and wouldn't allow Omega to accurately control the shock profile. I agree that the test will be loosely equivalent to dropping from about wrist height, but I'm quite certain they will use a testing machine.

5,000G does seem like a suspiciously round number. Does anyone know the precise details of the shock test?

*edit*

Here we go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shock_resistant_watch

ISO 1413.
    Last edited by M4tt; October 31st, 2009 at 10:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Zidane View Post
    And, even though a 45mm PO on a Steel bracelet may feel like it is up to it, don't use one as a knuckle duster

Though, if it were to save my life, I probably would. And it probably would, and survive.

And no, I am not related to JB.
    Last edited by ddatta; October 31st, 2009 at 17:52. Reason: trying to be funny!
    DD

Shock resistance is also related to the weight of the watch, so full ss and heavy watches (such as the SMP series) will experience more severe consequences after an accidental fall. Add to that the complications of the watch. I bet a 2594.50 SMP chronograph will suffer more compared to the non-complicated 2254.50 SMP...
    To see a world in a grain of sand and a heaven in a wild flower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour...

Real world test results -

I live in the middle of nowhere and it's a 6 mile round trip to the nearest village down country lanes. Sadly a minority of drivers don't seem to be very good at it around these parts and i've been hit 5 times in the last year while walking along said lanes.

One time i was hit full force by the passing car at about 40-50mph on the arm/wirst (as that's the bit of you that sticks out most when walking) There was a piece of the cars wing mirror stuck to the bezel edge on my Speedmaster. It took the full force of the hit. No damage at all apart from scuffed up hesalite, watch kept on ticking and keeping time as good as before.

How many "G's". No idea.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information