Omega 552 vs Rolex 1520 1960s movements

Thread: Omega 552 vs Rolex 1520 1960s movements

-->
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Omega 552 vs Rolex 1520 1960s movements

Back in the 1960s when Omega manufactured most movements in house, how good were their movements in going toe to toe with Rolex of the same time period?

For example, how robust is the non date Omega 552 vs a Rolex non date 1520?

Re: Omega 552 vs Rolex 1520 1960s movements

Quote Originally Posted by es335 View Post
    Back in the 1960s when Omega manufactured most movements in house, how good were their movements in going toe to toe with Rolex of the same time period?

For example, how robust is the non date Omega 552 vs a Rolex non date 1520?
    I think they were both pretty good movements, with a slight nod to Omega. IMHO, Rolex Oyster cases were and still are superior to Omegas.

This should start a whole hornet's nest of Omega vs. Rolex posts. Hope not, as this has been done before.

Let's just call this a draw,
    gatorcpa

I have them both and I would definitely call it a draw. They are both utterly fantastic movements. Which is 'better' is entirely down to personal taste IMHO. The Omega's regulation was better than the 1520 Rolex but then the 1570 went on to have a free-sprung balance. And so it goes on.

Five series:

Fifteen series:

To be fair, please remember that the Rolex movement is freshly serviced while the 565 is waiting for a project and unserviced.
    Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity. Seneca

interesting vibration decoupling (?) around the rotor spindle on the rolex.

Refer to Desmond's excellent article on Constellation movements 551-751

http://users.tpg.com.au/mondodec/movement3.pdf

A very interesting read on Omega movements. Pages 3, 5 mention differences in the mid 500 series Constellations and the 1570 Rolex.

Thumbs Up Re: Omega 552 vs Rolex 1520 1960s movements

Since becoming interested in watches in general and in Omega particular, I've been curious about this as well. Can't say anything about Rolex, but my Geneve date has cal 565 in it and it puts every other auto/manual watch i have/had in shame. I'm sure it has been serviced and adjusted properly through the years and was serviced prior coming to me. That 565 runs +2 seconds in five days compared to +3 s per day of my former 2254.50 and -3 s per day of my 2532.20. Add to that (official) 50 hours power reserve, which my Geneve exceeds by 2 h in my informal tests, when SMP 300 M pretty much run out of juice at 44 hours. All this from non-chronometer movement. Seems that those stories are quite true! Makes you wonder what would have happened, if Omega had been able to continue to develop and make their own movements ...
    Yours, Seaside

interesting vibration decoupling (?) around the rotor spindle on the rolex.
    Not sure quite what you mean; can you explain?

Cheers.

the radial slots in the rotor between the outer weight and inner spindle, to me, can serve no other purpose than to decouple these two features from vibration. perhaps i'm wrong. perhaps someone thought they looked pretty. but it seems unlikely to me.

Ahh, yes, I see what you mean. I can see how, in principle it would, however given how small and robust the rotors are I cannot really imagine it actually having that effect in everyday use. Do you think it may just be a reification that acknowledges that in a larger and more dynamic rotor it would have that effect?

I'm not disagreeing, I'm just uncertain.

Quote Originally Posted by seaside View Post
    Since becoming interested in watches in general and in Omega particular, I've been curious about this as well. Can't say anything about Rolex, but my Geneve date has cal 565 in it and it puts every other auto/manual watch i have/had in shame. I'm sure it has been serviced and adjusted properly through the years and was serviced prior coming to me. That 565 runs +2 seconds in five days compared to +3 s per day of my former 2254.50 and -3 s per day of my 2532.20. Add to that (official) 50 hours power reserve, which my Geneve exceeds by 2 h in my informal tests, when SMP 300 M pretty much run out of juice at 44 hours. All this from non-chronometer movement. Seems that those stories are quite true! Makes you wonder what would have happened, if Omega had been able to continue to develop and make their own movements ...
    How does one change the quick set date on a 565? I've heard it's a push / pull mechanism?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information