omega /longines
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: omega /longines

-->
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

omega /longines

Is the longines watch as good as an omega?I have both but i am not a watchmaker and would like to know how they compare, movements et cetera....

Re: omega /longines

I hope you get an answer from a kind member, as I have wondered about the same question.

My gut feel is that Longines use the same base ETA movements, but are less finished, but this is a hunch, rather than knowledge.

One thing I will say. I read in a watch magazine about an interview with a fairly distinguised horologist (Can't recall name).

When asked which he thought were the finest movements he had seen, he said movements from the fifties, made by Vacheron and by Longines. I wouldn't mind if someone could comment on this as well.

In the past few years Longines has made a truly major comeback. I
    remember when it was Longines or Omega in their price range. Now,
    Longines is a major value and is bringing out a lot of retro (hommage) watches that
    are real eye catchers. This is a brand that is really worth checking out.
    Last edited by Watchbreath; May 31st, 2007 at 21:23.

Omega tends to release more COSC watches, but otherwise the two are fairly close in quality and, as of right now, use a lot of the same ETA movements. (Omega, it seems, might be moving towards using in-house movements.) Longines is a great buy for the money and tend to sport more vintage designs. I would not overlook a Longines watch.
    Question your desires,
    Know of your youth,
    examine well your blood . . . .

William Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night's Dream, 1, 1, 67

If your talking say 1950's movements, then Longines I think was superior to Omega, but if you go into the 60's and 70's then Omega really takes over. I disagree with the statement that modern Longines watches are poorly finished compared to Omega though, I do not think this is the case having seen some of their newer stuff. The difference to me seems to be the level to which they modify the ETA movements. Omega does extensive modifications, while Longines does only a few minor modifications, they are finished to a high degree, but simply not extensively modified al a Omega.

Quote Originally Posted by David C. Lesko View Post
    If your talking say 1950's movements, then Longines I think was superior to Omega, but if you go into the 60's and 70's then Omega really takes over. I disagree with the statement that modern Longines watches are poorly finished compared to Omega though, I do not think this is the case having seen some of their newer stuff. The difference to me seems to be the level to which they modify the ETA movements. Omega does extensive modifications, while Longines does only a few minor modifications, they are finished to a high degree, but simply not extensively modified al a Omega.
    David,

Thanks for the views into the vintage movements and today's finish. I wouldn't doubt your insight on the matter to be correct. I know that ETA offer a version of the ETA 2892 to be highly finished, off the shelf. Do you know if Longines use this as is, or further refine?

Also, Omega extensively modify the ETA movements. Would you say that this currently make Omega watches better than Longines, or is it just an alternative approach to the same goal?

I look at the shop windows and sense that Longines seem to be a lower placed brand than Omega. I am not sure if is the case, and if it us, why it should be so. Especially given the esteem of the vintage movements.

On the subject of 70's movements, I once read that Longines L.990 was considered quite a movement. Again, I finder harder to get decent knowledge about this brand.

My experience with modified Eta movements is with my Midos. I looked into the whole Eta "Grades" of movements because my Mido Chrono really looked vastly different (given that it was the same # movement) from my Victorinox when I compared them side-by-side.

This comes from my review over on Affordables:

"
    The material differences are listed below.

Standard and Elabore:
    Mainspring - Nivaflex NO Shock protection - Etachocs Pallet stones - Polyrubies, Epilame-coated Balance - Nickel gilt Balance staff - Epilame coated Collet - Nivatronic Hairspring - Nivarox 2 Hairspring heat treatment - Etastable

Top and Chronometre:
    Mainspring - NivaflexNM Shock protection - Incabloc Pallet stones - Red rubies, Epilame-coated Balance - Glucydur gilt Balance staff - Epilame coated Collet - Nivatronic Hairspring - Anachron Hairspring heat treatment - Etastable The performance differences are the big differences between the various grades: ("The limit values are subject to interpretation: 95% of the pieces delivered in a lot must be within the specified limits.")

Standard:
    2 positions (CH, 6H) daily rate: +/-12 sec/day Maximum positional variation: 30 sec Isochronism (between 0 and 24 hours): +/- 20 sec

Elabore:
    3 positions (CH, 6H, 9H) daily rate: +/-7 sec/day Maximum positional variation: 20 sec Isochronism (between 0 and 24 hours): +/- 15 sec

Top:
    5 positions (CH, FH, 6H, 9H, 3H) daily rate: +/-4 sec/day Maximum positional variation: 15 sec Isochronism (between 0 and 24 hours): +/- 10 sec

Chronometre:
    As per COSC specifications, which as far as most owners will notice, isn't much different from Top grade. There are variations in the finish that will come with the movement, the Top and Chronometre come with snailed rotors, and elabore is a little better decorated that standard. But, even standard grades can be gold plated or even decorated."

And Mike
    Stuffler (Mod here at WUS) was kind enough to help educate me further on my Eta (Valjoux) 7750 but these apply to their movements generally as I understand it:

“The "ingredients" you mentioned for sure are what I’d call the "key components" of a "high grade" movement. I sum it up: Balance wheel: Glucydur vs Ni Hairspring: Nivarox 1 versus Nivarox 2 or Anachron (ETA) Mainspring and barrel material: Nivaflex NO vs NivaflexNM Shock protection: Etachron vs Incabloc vs KIF. Incabloc is more expensive than the Etachron shock protection and belongs to the "top" and "chronometre" grades of ETA. NIVACOURBE is a patented spring treatment by ETA. The open spring end is treated with heat in order to prevent deformation of the spring in case of a shock. This treatment is named: ETA SA: "ETASTABLE" NIVAROX-FAR: 'NIVACOURBE" Most of the mechanical-ETA-movements can be ordered with ETASTABLE if you are willing to add some $$. Certainly a "high end module". Nivarox 1 is the best quality of Nivarox (1-5 is available). 0...0,5 sec deviation within 24 h on a change of temperature of 1º. I’ve to admit: very technical thing.”
    -Robert
    Buy what you like, keep what you love, don't spend too much.
    As long as you follow those simple rules - you shouldn't listen to anyone about your watches.

Thanks for posting this thread as I was wondering about this for quite a while and was thinking of getting a Longines for a dress watch. I like their "Master" Collection from the website.

Not long ago a business partner (older than me) who used to wear TH's exclusively suddenly switched to wearing Longines...didn't really ask him directly why, I just said over lunch one day, "That's really elegant looking..." to which he replied, "You think so? I think so myself..." and then we proceeded eating. Well, it *was* really elegant looking in my opinion...

Glimmer

Quote Originally Posted by marconi View Post
    Is the longines watch as good as an omega?I have both but i am not a watchmaker and would like to know how they compare, movements et cetera....

Smile Re: omega /longines

Thanks guys I never meant to compare the two I just wanted to know if the longines is a good watch as i have a 1948 small wrist watch handed down from my father many years ago.My watchmaker serviced it recently and said it was a nice watch.Next time I see him I will ask him what movement it has.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information