Part of my grandfather's legacy (cal 321 Speedmaster Pro)

Thread: Part of my grandfather's legacy (cal 321 Speedmaster Pro)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Part of my grandfather's legacy (cal 321 Speedmaster Pro)

I'm mostly a lurker around here, but one of my friends is a regular contributor and prodded me to tell this story (and shot almost all these photos).

My grandfather was a product of the great depression. He was born in the US, moved to Germany during the 1930s during the Great Depression, and moved back to the United States after the outbreak of war with his family. His family had almost nothing, from what I understand leaving it behind to flee Germany.

A self made man, he put himself through college while holding down a full time job and raising my mother, my aunt, and my uncle. He started his own businesses, and traveled the world for them. He said he picked up this watch in Switzerland the week after the moon landing. From Chronomaddox.com, I believe this is a ST145.012, a caliber 321 Speedmaster.

Over the past few years, I've been flying to Boston (from San Francisco) every other or every third month for a weekend to get to know my grandfather as an adult, get to hear the stories he was too quiet to tell in front of many people. (He wasn't a quiet man with his opinions, but he never told old stories with a group.) He remained heavily involved in HAM radio and his community until the end. He was heavily into the details of everything he did and was engaged in a way that's sadly rare.

I've been wearing this in very heavy rotation since his memorial service, and today sent it to Nesbit's for service. The Hesalite is pretty heavily scratched, and I believe it wasn't regularly serviced before. If I turn the crown backwards with the crown out, the movement can stop and I'm noticing significantly diminished reserve when the chronograph is running. But all in all, she's a beauty for a 42-ish year old watch.

I can think of no better way to remember my grandfather than to wear his old watch, to look at it and think of him every day I wear the watch.

Re: Part of my grandfather's legacy (cal 321 Speedmaster Pro)

Thanks for sharing such a great story. Being a Speedy fan, that is the kind of story that makes me appreciate my Speedmaster's even more. Your grandfather's watch looks like it was kept in great condition. You have a special watch with fond memories of your grandfather, wear it well in his memory.

By the way, welcome to the Omega forum!

Yes welcome here and oh what a gem of a watch and story to accompany. I can also think of no better way to remember him. Awesome story thanks so much for sharing and enjoy your time @ WUS
    "You've stolen my heart, yes You have, You've wiped away the stains, broke away the chains, yes You have!" Leeland

What a great story about your Grandfather. It's obvious that you cared a great deal about him. The watch is beautiful and now you have a great memento.

Oh by the way it's perfectly normal when your are setting the time on a Speedmaster Pro and apply a little back turn on the crown for the movement to stop. The current Speedmaster based on the cal 1861 movement does this as well. I can even get mine to run backwards occasionally. The first time I saw mine stop, I was a little concerned since it was brand new. With a little practice you can set the time exactly by holding the second hand at 60.

Thanks for sharing great story.
    Enjoy your beautiful watch.

Calpine CA, north of Lake Tahoe, beautiful place

what a cool story for a cool watch
    I have one of that model and they wear great
    enjoy

A great story. Thanks for posting. The watch still looks great, did you have it serviced?

Great story and an heirloom truly worth holding on to~Cheers!

Great story and a great watch, thank you for sharing! Inherited watches are really something special. At the moment im wearing a tissot from 1970 from my father.

Very special. Treasure it, and his memory.
    For me, every day is a new thing. I approach each project with a new insecurity, almost like the first project I ever did, and I get the sweats. I go in and start working. I'm not sure where I'm going - if I knew where I was going, I wouldn't do it. Frank Gehry

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information