WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

The Perfect 3 Watch Rotation

47K views 249 replies 178 participants last post by  Michael Day 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a PO and I love it. Now I'm thinking about getting two other watches. I think I have come up with the perfect 3 watch rotation. Planet ocean, IWC Mark XVI, and a Rolex Explorer I. That covers all bases: sea, air, and land! Just wondering what everyone's thoughts were. If you could only have 3 watches what would they be? I'm not interested in flipping my watches so whatever I buy I plan on sticking with indefinitely. Also, I would be interested in other brands that less common than Omega, IWC and Rolex.

#3 · (Edited)
well if we're talking land, sea, and air, I would probably go: Tag Heuer Carrera, Planet Ocean, Breitling Sky Racer

Actually for Sea I might choose the IWC Portuguese Yacht Club, making all 3 chronographs. but that would mean bumping the PO :(

#6 ·
The Rolex and the IWC are just too similar. If you are going with a modern Explorer that covers dress/tool better than the IWC and is a more interesting watch in a number of ways. The obvious hole is a chronograph and the obvious chronograph is a Speedmaster Pro. Get an early one and that ticks the vintage box too. Easy.

Moving to left field, Forget about the IWC and the Explorer and look at the watches that they are a homage to: the WWW military watches of the second world war. What about a High end thermocompensated Quartz? Seiko Grand or Citizen Chronomaster are the obvious candidates. Alternatively What about the sisties Omega Dynamics? chunky, funky ovoids with a choice of legendary movements? Get a cheap vintage like the Dynamic or one of the less well known (but equally good) WWW and you could get something really special like the Breguet XX...

#7 ·
I've been thinking about this very subject lately, and here's my perfect trio:

1. Daily all-arounder: Speedmaster pro
2. Dressy, special occasion: JLC Reverso (new tribute to 1931 model)
3. Travel, beach beater: seiko sumo

The only really useful thing I'm missing is a GMT function.

#10 · (Edited)
My 3 would be:

Everyday wear to white collar job dress sport: Railmaster on leather. Mine looks like this one.

Water / adventure: Seamaster on NATO. Wrist shot of my 2254 auto:

Passion: 105.003 Speedy on JB Champion bracelet

And one Casio, Marathon Nav II, or other beater watch.

I recently sold my 14060M Sub and a Moon to Mars Speedy and don't miss them. We'll see how much closer we can get to this "ideal of 3" over the next year.

#13 ·
My "3 watch rotation" will one day be my PO, a Speedy Pro (next on the list), and a white-dialed 2500 cal. Aqua Terra. I think it covers all the bases - a diver, a chrono, and a "clean and simple" dress watch.

#15 ·
Either of these 2 would be good for the 'dressy' aspect:
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Baume & Mercier Riveria Automatic 8781

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Product

Aqua Terra Automatic Chronometer. 41.5 mm

Reactions: knezz
#17 ·
1. Planet Ocean - Rugged diver

Or Rolex Sea Dweller

2. Speedmaster - Manual wind chrono - great on strap or bracelet

3. Rolex GMT Master - Perfect Travel watch

Or

Breitling Navitimer - On strap a nice dressy chrono

Fortunately I have all these (and a vintage seamaster 70's chrono) so I have the set I like.

#19 ·
Well, I have two of my three:

1x everyday wearer - Speedy (albeit a 3510.50) on black leather with an OEM deployment. Nice enough that I'm proud of wearing it everyday, but not so nice that I'm scared of a little rough-and-tumble. I even wear this one whilst out cycling.

1x dress(ish) watch - vintage Rolex Air-King, on either an oyster bracelet or a black OEM strap and buckle. It's amazing how much dressier this watch looks on the leather strap and it's relatively understated compared to, say, a Sub.

...which just leaves a Planet Ocean-sized hole where the 'watch for getting wet' should be. Well, either that or a birth-year (1978) Submariner, but I think that the PO is slightly less likely to bankrupt me.

#49 · (Edited)
Pretty much the same 3 I'd choose. I already have a PO2500 and a Speedy 3570.50 so that just leaves a Skyfall AT in the next 2 years hopefully. I think I would still add a 4th down the line when I gathered enough funds.- IWC Portuguese Chrono. At that point I'd be done with watches. I would keep my Orient Mako as my beater watch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.