Perfect casting: Omega Speedmaster has starring role in Gravity
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Michael Weare
  • 2 Post By floydfan33

Thread: Perfect casting: Omega Speedmaster has starring role in Gravity

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Watchuseek Editor
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,983

    Perfect casting: Omega Speedmaster has starring role in Gravity

    Name:  OMEGA Speedmaster Professional in Gravity.jpg
Views: 3453
Size:  97.7 KB

    Gravity
    , starring George Clooney and Sandra Bullock, has been one of the smash hit movies of 2013. The 3-D thriller centres around Dr. Ryan Stone, played by Bullock, a brilliant medical engineer on her first shuttle mission, with veteran astronaut Matt Kowalsky (Clooney). But on a seemingly routine spacewalk, disaster strikes. The shuttle is destroyed, leaving Stone and Kowalsky completely alone - tethered to nothing but each other and spiralling out into the endless depths of space.

    An admirable supporting role in the movie was played by the OMEGA Speedmaster Professional, and of all the stars in the movie, it’s the Speedmaster with easily the most experience in coping with the weightless inky black void of outer space. The OMEGA Speedmaster is the only watch to have been qualified for every NASA piloted flight since 1965.

    Name:  speedmaster_gents_moonwatch_soldat.jpg
Views: 2469
Size:  39.5 KB

    The movie, directed by Alfonse Cuaron, which has so far grossed over $250m – more than double its production costs - could find itself up for several special effects Oscars in the new year.

    The OMEGA Speedmaster Professional Chronograph has a unique place in the history of space exploration as the only piece of equipment to have been used in all of NASA's manned space programs from Gemini in the mid-1960's to the current International Space Station program. Even before its official approval, it had been the private choice of astronauts on two of the one-man Mercury missions.

    Visit the OMEGA website

    Visit the Gravity website
    smuggled_sheep and Ichigo like this.

  2. #2
    Member derids's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Perth, Aus
    Posts
    1,404

    Re: Perfect casting: Omega Speedmaster has starring role in Gravity

    Yes! I just watched this a few hours ago and saw the Speedy. Also saw Coulson's Speedy in the latest ep of Marvels Agents of SHIELD. Nice close up too.
    Hidden Content tempore pulcher

  3. #3
    OzO
    OzO is offline
    Member OzO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    South Pangaea
    Posts
    5,930

    Re: Perfect casting: Omega Speedmaster has starring role in Gravity

    Haven't there been what, 5 threads about there being no Speedmaster Pro in gravity? Just some clunky looking digital watches
    Cheers,
    Mark

    Insert clever and/or deep and meaningful philosophical quote here

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Seoul
    Posts
    46

    Re: Perfect casting: Omega Speedmaster has starring role in Gravity

    Quote Originally Posted by OzO View Post
    Haven't there been what, 5 threads about there being no Speedmaster Pro in gravity? Just some clunky looking digital watches
    Mostlt clunky looking digitals, but surely the Speedy Pro made its cameo. Checkout the last pages of the thread ;) see
    [Have] Rolex Datejust, Omega Speedy Pro, Tag Heuer Aquaracer, Luminox Navy Seal
    [Want] Rolex Submariner, Rolex GMT Master, IWC Pilot, etc.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Seoul
    Posts
    46

    Re: Perfect casting: Omega Speedmaster has starring role in Gravity

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Weare View Post
    Name:  OMEGA Speedmaster Professional in Gravity.jpg
Views: 3453
Size:  97.7 KB

    Gravity
    , starring George Clooney and Sandra Bullock, has been one of the smash hit movies of 2013. The 3-D thriller centres around Dr. Ryan Stone, played by Bullock, a brilliant medical engineer on her first shuttle mission, with veteran astronaut Matt Kowalsky (Clooney). But on a seemingly routine spacewalk, disaster strikes. The shuttle is destroyed, leaving Stone and Kowalsky completely alone - tethered to nothing but each other and spiralling out into the endless depths of space.

    An admirable supporting role in the movie was played by the OMEGA Speedmaster Professional, and of all the stars in the movie, it’s the Speedmaster with easily the most experience in coping with the weightless inky black void of outer space. The OMEGA Speedmaster is the only watch to have been qualified for every NASA piloted flight since 1965.

    Name:  speedmaster_gents_moonwatch_soldat.jpg
Views: 2469
Size:  39.5 KB

    The movie, directed by Alfonse Cuaron, which has so far grossed over $250m – more than double its production costs - could find itself up for several special effects Oscars in the new year.

    The OMEGA Speedmaster Professional Chronograph has a unique place in the history of space exploration as the only piece of equipment to have been used in all of NASA's manned space programs from Gemini in the mid-1960's to the current International Space Station program. Even before its official approval, it had been the private choice of astronauts on two of the one-man Mercury missions.

    Visit the OMEGA website

    Visit the Gravity website
    A bit late to the party. There is at least one thread discussing the issue with more than a few pages. No complaints though! Love the moonwatch and the movie ;)
    [Have] Rolex Datejust, Omega Speedy Pro, Tag Heuer Aquaracer, Luminox Navy Seal
    [Want] Rolex Submariner, Rolex GMT Master, IWC Pilot, etc.

  6. #6
    Member iinsic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Southwest FL
    Posts
    10,566

    Re: Perfect casting: Omega Speedmaster has starring role in Gravity

    This is not the most up-to-date post. This is old news ... at least on WUSOF.

    Perhaps this thread would have made more sense in another forum on WUS (e.g.-the Public Forum), and not the Omega Forum. I doubt the editor can post something here that most of us don't already know more about than he does. Just a suggestion.
    Last edited by iinsic; December 12th, 2013 at 01:34.
    Datejust 16233 • Seiko SKX013
    Opiniones sunt foramina intestinorum ... omnis persona habet illud. -- Harry Callahan the Elder (200 BCE)

  7. #7
    Member floydfan33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    1,455

    Re: Perfect casting: Omega Speedmaster has starring role in Gravity

    Quote Originally Posted by derids View Post
    Yes! I just watched this a few hours ago and saw the Speedy. Also saw Coulson's Speedy in the latest ep of Marvels Agents of SHIELD. Nice close up too.
    I spotted it too!





    Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    Attached Images Attached Images

    derids and smuggled_sheep like this.
    "Well I'm a loyal hockey fan, I love the Vancouver Canucks!" - Canucks Arena Song (Circa '82)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •