PICS: My Watch Collection Just Tripled (Somethin' for Everyone)

Thread: PICS: My Watch Collection Just Tripled (Somethin' for Everyone)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation PICS: My Watch Collection Just Tripled (Somethin' for Everyone)

I went to visit my grandmother today and came home with some interesting pieces that had belonged to my great-great-uncle. She had removed his jewelry box from his house when he went into hospice and had forgotten she still had it. He died several months ago. She asked me if there was anything in there that I would like.

The first thing that caught my eye was an Omega Electronic Chronometer (f300). I don't know much about these watches, but I have seen them on here a few times. My uncle had it on a custom, Indian-made sterling silver band with turquoise. Not my style, but I think it would great cleaned up on a black, leather band. This watch appears to be in fairly good condition. I'm guessing the crystal is a domed, hesalite crystal. With a little cleaning, some Polywatch, and a band -- this could be a looker. I love the red accents and the applied logo. This one doesn't work, but I'm guessing it just needs a little work or a battery (do they have batteries?)

The next thing that caught my eye was this interesting Longines watch. It is a fairly small watch, but I know this was typical for older mens' watches. The back is fairly plain, but says 10K Gold Filled. I don't really know what that means, exactly. I'm pretty sure it's on an aftermarket stretching bracelet that is not original. What caught my eye, though, was the amazing patina of the face, the lovely small-seconds feature, and most of all the pyramid-shaped crystal. I don't know how nice Longines are, but I have heard of them, and it does say Swiss on the face, so I figured it was a pretty cool watch. This one is a mechanical. I would it up, and it is keeping time.

Next is probably the most aesthetically pleasing watch of the bunch. It is an extremely sleek, beautiful Bulova pocket watch. It appears to be real gold -- the inside of the case says Bulova, 10K Rolled Gold Plate, New York. There are also lots of little markings and figures that look like they had been left by someone who probably worked on the watch. The face of this watch is just absolutely gorgeous. It reminds me a bit of that cool Omega that jimmoose has. I'm a sucker for small seconds hands, and I just love the thin, minimalist hands and Arabic numerals. This is definitely a keeper. Again, I don't know much about Bulova, but it was a brand I had heard of before. I popped the back off and the Swiss movement is just lovely. This one is also a mechanical. I wound it up, and it's working fine.

Last, but not least, there was this other unusual pocket watch. It was the only one that was not Swiss, but it had so much character I could not pass it up. This one needs some work, as it appears that the hour hand is missing, and the crystal has come loose. The few markings on the outside of this watch appear to have worn down from use. There are also no markings on the face, but it has an elegant black on white motif with Romans. If you open the back of the watch, you have access to a beautiful movement that has some elegant etching as well as the words: P. James & Co, Medow Street, London. I don't know anything about this maker, but I love it. The most unusual part of this watch is the fact that it has a chain with a clasp (for a belt loop) and a key that winds the watch (on the back). There are also some markings on the inside of the watch like 0.800, a picture of some lion-looking thing, the letter K in some fancy font, and what appears to be some sort of serial number.

So, those are the new acquisitions after this past weekend. Below I will post a few pics of some of the watches I already had, including my new Sapphire Sandwich, which I finally took a few pictures of (although I neglected to clean the crystal before the picture as you can see).

Great-grandpa's pocketwatch:

Omega Seamaster -- neighbor gave it to me when he was moving

...and a few pics of the new Sapphire Sandwich

I don't know much about most of these watches, so feel free to share any info you may have on them. Hope y'all enjoy the pics.

Re: PICS: My Watch Collection Just Tripled (Somethin' for Everyone)

By the way, if anyone can recommend a watchmaker in the Houston area that I can trust to look at these pieces and perhaps do some refurbishing/servicing on them, I would appreciate it.

Absolutely awesome!!!

Very cool! Something to be proud of! John Wilson
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

"Man fears time; time fears the Pyramids"

Land of eternal sunshine (except when it rains)

VEry nice. THe battery should be easy to source. I can't remember off the top of my head which one it is, just that a modern equivalent does exist. M4tt would probably knows this..
    Check out my collection at:

Hidden Content

must have been a loss to lose a neighbor that gifts seamasters! congrats on some great acquisitions.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin View Post
    The London Hallmarks look like it dates from 1845, but I am missing some details.

I need to know what the mark directly south from the .800 mark, which how fine the silver is.

Is it a Panther's head, without a crown? Also, there is supposed to be portrait in a oval looking to the left. Maybe the portrait is missing, as duty was never paid on the case, I don't know.

I also looked at my Watch and Clock makers of the world books, and my F.J. Britton watchmakers names books, but came up blank. I had the same problem with my Fuzee from 1783, I can't find the watchmaker...

P.S. I love the f300Hz! :)
    Last edited by SpringDriven; April 13th, 2009 at 07:38.
    James
    NAWCC Member.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringDriven View Post
    The London Hallmarks look like it dates from 1845, but I am missing some details.

I need to know what the mark directly south from the .800 mark, which how fine the silver is.

Is it a Panther's head, without a crown? Also, there is supposed to be portrait in a oval looking to the left. Maybe the portrait is missing, as duty was never paid on the case, I don't know.

I also looked at my Watch and Clock makers of the world books, and my F.J. Britton watchmakers names books, but came up blank. I had the same problem with my Fuzee from 1783, I can't find the watchmaker...

P.S. I love the f300Hz! :)
    This is the best picture I currently have of the logo. I can't really tell what it is. My best guess is that it's some sort of bird -- perhaps a turkey, peacock, etc. -- that is facing to the right, with some plumage to the left.

I don't see any portrait or place where a portrait would be. I have no idea who originally bought this watch or how it made its way to the states. If it dates from the mid 1800s, it could have belonged to my great-great-uncle's grandpa for all I know...

Very nice! You're a lucky man..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information