Planet Ocean Questions - Page 2
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Planet Ocean Questions

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Planet Ocean Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Liljrj View Post

I tried on the 8900 PO on my very small 8.3 inch wrist See pic. Once the bracelet is sized, to my surprise it sets much lower than I expected from all the online comments. Also it slips nicely underneath a shirt cuff. IMO any thickness concerns are wildly overblown.
    If you don't mind the thickness, then you're good to go. I do, however, find mine to be much thicker than my other watches and, accordingly, less comfortable. I've worn mine for over a month straight and wore my SubC yesterday. The difference was night and day. Still like my PO very much though. It's a fun watch.

42mm 2500 for sure.

I love my 2500C and my local Omega service centre said it's a good movement as long as it's serviced correctly.

Looks fantastic, keeps great time and it's not as tall (and top heavy) as the 8500 i tried on at my local AD.

Just my two pennies worth!
    Last edited by WillHarris2306; August 7th, 2017 at 20:31.

I have always love the PO since they came out and still want one. I don't consider them to thick but still favor the original black dial with orange bezel with 2500 movement .Trying now to decide whether a PO or a Panerai. I like the sub but my sweet spot is 44mm. Best way is spending time at the boutique and making sure to pick the right one.
    WillHarris2306 likes this.

So I did some comparison shopping and found that I am partial to the 43.5 over the 39.5, which is not what I expected.

Just placed an order today.
    om3ga seamaster likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by willa1975 View Post
    So I did some comparison shopping and found that I am partial to the 43.5 over the 39.5, which is not what I expected.
    This has been my experience as well – on paper, the 39.5 is what I'd much prefer, but something about the proportions just didn't feel right, no matter how hard I tried. The thickness of the 8900 isn't too bad, thanks to the shorter L2L, which helped it sit closer to the wrist. Pretty sure I'm going to take the plunge before the summer's over.

I love my 2500 45.5 but after wearing it for a few days, when I switch to another watch, like my SMC300, I'm always shocked at how much more comfortable it is. It's just a relative thing...I don't think of the PO as uncomfortable until I wear a more comfortable watch afterwards, lol.

I have relatively thick wrists I guess, at 7.75", and I buy my dress shirts off the rack. Only a few watches will slip under the cuff. My point is that the thinner your wrists, the less of an issue the watch's height is going to be, but only you can make that determination given your wrists and the shirts you wear.

FYI as far as I know the 8900 43mm is the thinnest PO yet...the 42mm 2500 might be a shade thinner, dunno, but the point is if you're concerned about height the 43mm is going to be the best you can do in the PO line.

Because of the thickness, I'd go with the Rolex, a 2500 PO, or an Aqua Terra.

My first (and only) watch is a Grand Seiko Hi-Beat GMT. It is a relatively thick watch (just over 14mm), so I am comfortable with that.

I really wanted to go with the 39.5mm PO, but to my eyes it wears smaller than I expected, and the 43.5 did not seem to swallow my 7.5" wrist at all.

I get my shirts custom tailored and will probably just have them account for the watch when they measure the cuffs. I tend to roll up my sleeves a lot at work anyway.

Will probably get a dress watch as a third purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
    I love my 2500 45.5 but after wearing it for a few days, when I switch to another watch, like my SMC300, I'm always shocked at how much more comfortable it is. It's just a relative thing...I don't think of the PO as uncomfortable until I wear a more comfortable watch afterwards, lol.

I have relatively thick wrists I guess, at 7.75", and I buy my dress shirts off the rack. Only a few watches will slip under the cuff. My point is that the thinner your wrists, the less of an issue the watch's height is going to be, but only you can make that determination given your wrists and the shirts you wear.

FYI as far as I know the 8900 43mm is the thinnest PO yet...the 42mm 2500 might be a shade thinner, dunno, but the point is if you're concerned about height the 43mm is going to be the best you can do in the PO line.
    Not sure if this helps or not. A couple of profile shots. AT MC, PO2500 42mm, PO8900 43.5mm.

Sent from iPhone 7

Also, this is what I've captured for case heights.

PO2500
    42mm -- 14.2mm
    45.5mm -- 15.5mm

PO8500
    42mm -- 15.7mm
    45.5mm -- 16.5mm

PO8900
    39.5mm -- 14.16mm
    43.5mm -- 16.04mm

PO9900
    45.5mm -- 18.87mm

SM300MC 41mm -- 15mm