WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

PO Deep Black

3K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  Deep Black 
#1 ·
Can this watch take a beating like constant shock from gun fire?(military) or it shouldn't be worn on the field

#2 ·
I would not wear it personally. Shock is best handled by a quartz piece. I don't wear any automatics when going to the shooting range or playing golf for that matter. Perhaps a G-Shock or Luminox are best for those situations. Just my $.02. :eek:)

#6 ·
Good call! That's why it pays to have a good mechanical "beater" watch for these occasions. :)

#9 ·
I shoot almost daily and have had zero issues. I wear my Planet Ocean 2500 every hour of every day except when I shower. I don't like to get the NATO strap wet, lol.

The watch is not right next to the muzzle so there really isn't that much "shock" that your watch is exposed to. Banging it getting in and out of vehicles or on door frames is more of an issue.

#10 ·
I shoot almost daily and have had zero issues. I wear my Planet Ocean 2500 every hour of every day except when I shower. I don't like to get the NATO strap wet, lol.

The watch is not right next to the muzzle so there really isn't that much "shock" that your watch is exposed to. Banging it getting in and out of vehicles or on door frames is more of an issue.
Love it! What are you shooting with? I would say a 22 you would be ok, however, a 45 or more may be a tad risky. Then again, it depends on the amount of recoil. :)

#15 ·
I bought the Planet Ocean Deep Black (all black) in February 2017. Absolutely LOVE this watch! The accuracy is insane, gaining maybe 3 seconds/month. I keep it on a winder when not wearing, and I'm sure this helps a lot. As far as durability, I can attest this watch is very durable. I've dropped mine from waist height a couple of times - once on asphalt and once on a wood floor. I've also scraped it against a rental car (took a deep chip out of the car's paint) and otherwise banged it against stuff. Through all of this, I've not got a single scratch (after inspecting with a loupe) and it's maintaining its insane accuracy. In my opinion, it is extremely durable. Having said all of that, one place I would NOT wear it is to the range. I'm just not willing to risk my $10K watch that way. I would buy a G shock or something for range wear. JMHO.

#18 ·
Never even occurred to me to take off my mechanical watch when shooting. Your wrist would be in agony long before enough shock was transmitted to the watch to damage it. Dropping it on a hard floor is going to subject it to way more shock than it sitting on your wrist when you're shooting.

FWIW, my 2500 is my daily beater, working around and on boats, and I've found it to be almost bizarrely durable. I could use it as a hammer and I'm pretty sure whatever I was punishing with it would come out the worst for it. Even the AG on the sapphire is unmarked, which is just downright weird at this point.

#21 ·
Sorry about that test... So, to be clear, I have zero qualms about shock damage to my Deep Black from shooting. As I said above, I've done some stuff to it and it shows no damage at all. It is a very durable tool watch and I've proven to myself it can take a beating. I don't wear it shooting more out of concern for damage from residue, as in the grime discharging from the barrel, port, etc. My hands are usually quite dirty after shooting and I don't want that stuff on My Precious. Who knows what that residue might do to the AR coating. What do you guys think? Am I being paranoid?

#23 ·
It's your watch so do what you want with it. However I have no issues doing everything with my P.O. That's one of the best things about this watch for me, is that I can wear it and do anything with it and I know it will be fine. I shoot and clean my weapons with it on and I have had zero problems or issues in regards to the solvents and degreasers and lubes used. No issues with carbon, it comes off no problem. I throw the NATO in the washing machine with my clothes when it gets grimy. There is another thread where a guy wore his speedy pro for decades (i believe) and was a mechanic and had grease and oil and who knows what else on his watch every day. No issues. These types of things and being able to do these things make the watch more special.

#27 ·
I don't wear any of my watches when I qualify at the range. Not because of the shock but I'm afraid I will put a nasty scratch in one. Having to shoot with multiple types of weapons makes it too easy to scratch a watch. Just my opinion. If comfortable shooting with your watch on, I don't think the shock would be an issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.