The reason why I won't buy a Speedmaster... - Page 15
Like Tree395Likes

Thread: The reason why I won't buy a Speedmaster...

Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 204
  1. #141
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,269

    Re: The reason why I won't buy a Speedmaster...

    Quote Originally Posted by aries2 View Post
    The moon shot was real.
    I have never actually seen anyone with a Speedmaster in real life though...I'm pretty sure they faked the watch.
    Buy a Seamaster...the ocean is real...or is it....?
    LOL. I think you might be onto something.

  2. #142
    Member powerband's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,506

    Re: The reason why I won't buy a Speedmaster...

    Quote Originally Posted by TellingTime View Post
    I disagree. It has existed in pop culture almost as long as the actual event. REM had a hit mentioning it in the early 90’s and the videos they put out receive millions of hits. That’s legs to me.
    Your resource is REM? Your conclusion about a scientific achievement on a grand scale is from a... music band.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ticking Away the Moments that Make Up a Dull Day

  3. #143
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,269

    Re: The reason why I won't buy a Speedmaster...

    Quote Originally Posted by powerband View Post
    Your resource is REM? Your conclusion about a scientific achievement on a grand scale is from a... music band.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I didn't say anything about my conclusion. I just stated some FACTS. Are you saying those videos don't receive millions of hits or something?

  4. #144
    Member Ron521's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    746

    Re: The reason why I won't buy a Speedmaster...

    People LOVE a conspiracy theory....even earlier, the alleged "Roswell Incident", and the Kennedy assassination...kept publications such as the Enquirer in business. And more recently, shows like "The X-Files" prove that if you weave an interesting enough story, and populate it with engaging characters, you don't NEED any actual hard evidence.

    People often fall into one of two mindsets, characterized either by Ken Hamm (popular creationist) or Bill Nye (the Science Guy), who engaged in a public debate a few years ago. When moderators asked the two men "What would make you change your beliefs?".....Ken answered "NOTHING", indicating that his mind was closed, and that he would continue clinging to his Iron-Age mythologies no matter WHAT evidence came to light.

    Bill Nye answered "Evidence"...indicating an open mind, a willingness to consider new ideas, and if evidence which disproved earlier ideas came to light, possibly reconsider his opinion.

    Which seems like the more reasonable, intelligent position?
    powerband, iinsic, Iliyan and 5 others like this.

  5. #145
    Member powerband's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,506

    The reason why I won't buy a Speedmaster...

    Quote Originally Posted by TellingTime View Post
    I didn't say anything about my conclusion. I just stated some FACTS. Are you saying those videos don't receive millions of hits or something?
    The problem is you’re implying the band and their video hits support your premise. It’s an argument flaw.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ticking Away the Moments that Make Up a Dull Day

  6. #146
    Member iinsic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Southwest FL
    Posts
    10,570

    Re: The reason why I won't buy a Speedmaster...

    In all fairness to the OP, things do get rather quiet here as summer ends. This is the liveliest thread I've seen here in some time.

    I'm just not sure I've really been reading it, or if it's some sort of fever dream.
    Jollytron likes this.
    Datejust 16233 • Seiko SKX013Steinhart Ocean 39
    Opiniones sunt foramina intestinorum ... omnis persona habet illud. -- Harry Callahan the Elder (200 BCE)

  7. #147
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,269

    Re: The reason why I won't buy a Speedmaster...

    Quote Originally Posted by powerband View Post
    The problem is you’re implying the band and their video hits support your premise. It’s an argument flaw.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The band had a song that was a hit that included the subject matter in the lyrics. There's video(s) out there on the subject that have millions of views. That means there's a lot of people that believes it was faked. So follow...there's possibly millions of people that believe it has been faked for a decades. That gives it legs IMO.

  8. #148
    Member powerband's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,506

    Re: The reason why I won't buy a Speedmaster...

    Quote Originally Posted by TellingTime View Post
    The band had a song that was a hit that included the subject matter in the lyrics. There's video(s) out there on the subject that have millions of views. That means there's a lot of people that believes it was faked. So follow...there's possibly millions of people that believe it has been faked for a decades. That gives it legs IMO.
    Your posts would be more cogent if you are clear on what you assign “legs” to: that the moon landing is fake, or that people believe the moon landing is fake.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ticking Away the Moments that Make Up a Dull Day

  9. #149
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,269

    Re: The reason why I won't buy a Speedmaster...

    Quote Originally Posted by powerband View Post
    Your posts would be more cogent if you are clear on what you assign “legs” to: that the moon landing is fake, or that people believe the moon landing is fake.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LOL. I think you're just excited to have an argument BUT...has legs is an idiom. It's used to suggest a news story will continue to RUN and remain popular. A story with no legs means it's going nowhere. --You're welcome.

  10. #150
    R1P
    R1P is online now
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    776

    Re: The reason why I won't buy a Speedmaster...

    Quote Originally Posted by powerband View Post
    Your posts would be more cogent if you are clear on what you assign “legs” to: that the moon landing is fake, or that people believe the moon landing is fake.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Or that the people enjoy the music and could care less about the issue of the moon landing.
    powerband likes this.

Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Why Do We Buy Watches? Why? Why? Why? Why so many?
      By rolexus in forum Public Forum
      Replies: 84
      Last Post: 4 Days Ago, 00:06
    2. Why I won't buy an expensive watch
      By SeikoAutomatic_01 in forum Affordable watches
      Replies: 51
      Last Post: December 30th, 2015, 22:41
    3. The real reason the world won't end on the 21st
      By BrentYYC in forum The Cafe
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: December 21st, 2012, 04:18
    4. Replies: 2
      Last Post: November 28th, 2012, 16:07
    5. Replies: 27
      Last Post: March 4th, 2012, 20:25

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •