Salvation Speedmaster
Like Tree8Likes
  • 7 Post By Spacefruit
  • 1 Post By Spacefruit

Thread: Salvation Speedmaster

Salvation Speedmaster

A while back I bought, from Ebay an original Speedmaster.
    The seller was the Salvation Army in Miami, and they showed only external photos.
    While there was no reference shown, it could be deduced that if original, the watch had to be a 105.012, a 63 or 64, most likely a 64 as the T marks are present on the dial, in the closer spaced configuration.
    Probably as a result of this obvious "barn find" condition, it was fiercely contested and ended up costing around $7000. So I took the decision to preserve it as much as possible as found - otherwise I would simply turn it into yet another "restored" 105.012 just like all the others.

Here is the back as bought - filthy:
    Name:  P6210013.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  2.49 MB
    The failed opening marks perhaps indicate why this watch is untouched, perhaps no one could get in. Certainly when we got it open, after great difficulty, all screws looked untouched.

From the front the crystal shows considerable wear, but it can be seen the dial and hands appear untouched and in good condition. The bezel is in terrific shape - just dirty.

Name:  big f.JPG
Views: 347
Size:  214.2 KB
    (Original Sales Photo)

So I sent it to STS with the instructions to clean the entire watch, and service the movement. I instructed them not to change anything. Normally the service procedure would be to replace the crystal, the pushers, and crown. In the event, the rear gasket was changed and that was all.

Here it is returned. Looks almost the same, which was the idea, just clean.

Name:  P8130010.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  1.96 MB

Still showing all the scratches on the crystal. I considered polishing it, but I have decided not to.
    I think I shall leave it as is. It is after all the most original watch I own.

More here
    The Salvation Speedmaster | Speedmaster101
    Last edited by Spacefruit; August 13th, 2015 at 19:00.

Re: Salvation Speedmaster

Nice looking watch, but the "Professional" wasn't added to the dial until 1965, after Ed White's EVA.

EDIT - looks like there's some debate on when it was added to the dial, though most sites and books I've read list 1965 or 66.
    Last edited by rfortson; August 13th, 2015 at 21:40.

Wow very cool!

Quote Originally Posted by rfortson View Post
    Nice looking watch, but the "Professional" wasn't added to the dial until 1965, after Ed White's EVA.

EDIT - looks like there's some debate on when it was added to the dial, though most sites and books I've read list 1965 or 66.
    Professional markings on the dial first appeared on the 105.012-63, coinciding with the assymetrical case.

105.012 | Speedmaster101

interestingly the 105.003 was produced up to 1969 and still carried the non pro dial, in the straight lug case.
    rfortson likes this.

Thread Information