Shockproof of omegas - Page 3
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Shockproof of omegas

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Re: Shockproof of omegas

Quote Originally Posted by TellingTime View Post
    Just like people find informative to post that old pic, I find it informative to question it. Of course I don't really know, but it seems unusual in nature. You don't see a lot of "crap, I just nicked my SS" threads. And then someone post a horror nick saying it could happen to you. Same goes with gasket failures. So why do people go out of their way to be informative?

One thing for sure. Opening the door for some informative member to post that pick isn't helping the resale value of your watch.

The pic or it didn't happen is pretty common around here.
    Point taken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dude, every time I'm close to Nick, i feel horror, too.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

I own two ceramic Speedmasters and I'll admit I worry but I'm not any more or less cautious than any of my other watches.

The one thing that scared me last year was people chipping the inner lug when changing straps.

It seemed in this cases Omega handled the issues under warranty. That is why I wouldn't buy a ceramic watch grey market. I want the warranty!
    dayandnight and MswmSwmsW like this.

i got a good deal on my gsotm. bought it used, and it had 3 years of the factory warranty left. better than grey market price, no wear on the strap, AND factory warranty= just as good as new.

GTTIME likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GTTIME View Post
    I own two ceramic Speedmasters and I'll admit I worry but I'm not any more or less cautious than any of my other watches.

The one thing that scared me last year was people chipping the inner lug when changing straps.

It seemed in this cases Omega handled the issues under warranty. That is why I wouldn't buy a ceramic watch grey market. I want the warranty!
    yeah i saw one of the threads about that. i didn't realize it happened to more than one person, though. i wonder if that was a bad batch, or?

Wasn't that chip thing only happening on the GSOTM? I know I've seen the picture of a DS having a chip next to the crown.

I'm slowly starting to realize that ceramics are probably a low margin watch and therefore will never truly be loved on these forums. They've been out 3 years now and you hardly see positive (informative) posts about the material or how if you want a black luxury watch it's your only real option.

Sure there's a possibility something could happen, but that's the case with any watch. However, only in ceramic threads does the worst case scenario always get highlighted.

We should start a ceramic owners thread to counter the negativity.
    Deep Black and MswmSwmsW like this.

i have a feeling that after a few more years when our ceramics still look and function exactly like new, and continue to have very few case issues that people will come around.

Deep Black likes this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 6R15 View Post
    A ceramic watch is not something you want to drop on tile. It will shatter like your happiness.
    I can definitely relate......sad story.

Quote Originally Posted by MswmSwmsW View Post
    i have a feeling that after a few more years when our ceramics still look and function exactly like new, and continue to have very few case issues that people will come around.

I don't know. They sure look great, but it's kind of antithetical to the idea of a tool watch, which is what I think of when I think Speedmaster. Once tool watches started careening towards being luxury goods, even sapphire was introduced to pander to "scratchophobes" at the cost of durability, but at least a smashed sapphire crystal replacement is only in the hundreds of dollars, rather than thousands. When I buy a tool watch, I still want to be able to wear it in all scenarios without worry, and I think I'd always worry a little too much about bashing the beautiful DSOTM when using it in active situations. Heck, I probably wouldn't mind if my Aqua Terra had Hesalite.

Now, if they offered a lifetime warranty on the DSOTM case, then I'd maybe change my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by dayandnight View Post
    I wanted to know how shockproof omegas are and whether I should worry if I dropped my gsotm on a tile floor 2 feet from my bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'd worry if I dropped any mechanical watch onto a tiled floor from two feet!
    dayandnight likes this.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information