Shockproof of omegas - Page 4
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Shockproof of omegas

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Re: Shockproof of omegas

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    I don't know. They sure look great, but it's kind of antithetical to the idea of a tool watch, which is what I think of when I think Speedmaster. Once tool watches started careening towards being luxury goods, even sapphire was introduced to pander to "scratchophobes" at the cost of durability, but at least a smashed sapphire crystal replacement is only in the hundreds of dollars, rather than thousands. When I buy a tool watch, I still want to be able to wear it in all scenarios without worry, and I think I'd always worry a little too much about bashing the beautiful DSOTM when using it in active situations. Heck, I probably wouldn't mind if my Aqua Terra had Hesalite.

Now, if they offered a lifetime warranty on the DSOTM case, then I'd maybe change my mind.
    are you sure it's antithetical to that idea? save for dropping it from heights into a few specific surfaces, they are going to be incredibly strong and resilient, yes? as people in this thread have stated, they have dropped em, banged them, smashed them, and hit them with no I'll effects. how is that not characteristic of a tool watch?

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MswmSwmsW View Post
    are you sure it's antithetical to that idea? save for dropping it from heights into a few specific surfaces, they are going to be incredibly strong and resilient, yes? as people in this thread have stated, they have dropped em, banged them, smashed them, and hit them with no I'll effects. how is that not characteristic of a tool watch?

Sure. It's twice the price of the more durable steel model, and it still has the possibility of breaking, however unlikely. I haven't exactly seen any evidence of these things being abused, yet. When we start seeing auto mechanics using these things every day for years, then maybe perception could change, but I have a feeling that most owners still treat them with kid gloves a bit.

let's see if we can get a different image on the tapatalk splash screen, no more broken lug.

here is my current lineup

dayandnight likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MswmSwmsW View Post
    let's see if we can get a different image on the tapatalk splash screen, no more broken lug.

here is my current lineup

My two ceramics, older pics I now have the ceramic deployant on the Grey Side.

spikeyadrian and Iliyan like this.

What's the case made of on the 3-lug watch in the picture? Sintered or composite metal?

ceramic, zirconium based

Last edited by MswmSwmsW; August 13th, 2017 at 03:32.

I guess nothing is really unbreakable. Both ceramic and steel has it's pros and cons. Steel bezel may not break, but it will scratch and the sapphire will shatter if the drop is hard enough. Just gotta be really careful with our watches. Even a hard knock against a wall or something may damage the movement inside.
    Last edited by imranbecks; August 13th, 2017 at 07:23.
    Emporio Armani AR5860/Jorg Gray 6500 Commemorative Edition/Nautica NCS 600 N15016G/ΩOmega Seamaster Pro 2220.80.00/ΩOmega Seamaster Aqua Terra 231.10.42.21.03.003/ΩOmega Seamaster Aqua Terra Quartz 231.10.39.60.06.001/Seiko Diver SKX007K/Seiko 5 SNKE51K1/Steinhart GMT-Ocean 1 Pepsi/Tissot Le Locle Automatic

Hidden Content

I don't know. They sure look great, but it's kind of antithetical to the idea of a tool watch, which is what I think of when I think Speedmaster. Once tool watches started careening towards being luxury goods, even sapphire was introduced to pander to "scratchophobes" at the cost of durability, but at least a smashed sapphire crystal replacement is only in the hundreds of dollars, rather than thousands. When I buy a tool watch, I still want to be able to wear it in all scenarios without worry, and I think I'd always worry a little too much about bashing the beautiful DSOTM when using it in active situations. Heck, I probably wouldn't mind if my Aqua Terra had Hesalite.

Now, if they offered a lifetime warranty on the DSOTM case, then I'd maybe change my mind.
    As the case with most tools, the harder the material the better. So it's the only tool watch IMO. You put a SS speedy under the hood and you'll do significant depreciation on your watch just with all the scratches and nicks. I don't think I could generate enough force to shatter my DSOTM under the hood.
    Last edited by TellingTime; August 14th, 2017 at 01:00.

Quote Originally Posted by TellingTime View Post
    As the case with most tools, the harder the material the better. So it's the only tool watch IMO. You put a SS speedy under the hood and you'll do significant depreciation on your watch just with all the scratches and nicks. I don't think I could generate enough force to shatter my DSOTM under the hood.
    Why would one care about depreciation and scratches on a tool?

Why would one care about depreciation and scratches on a tool?
    Ha. Scratches on a tool shows somebody uses them. I've seen plenty of mint tools in other guys garages though. Talking about tool watches. People do care about condition. That's why putting a SS speedy under the hood will get the crap nicked out of it. And in the long run will cost you more than a DSOTM exposed to the same conditions IMO.

I won't wear one of my SS watches in the garage. However my DSOTM is king in the garage. That's because it's usually the hardest material in the garage. So no nicks for me.

Edit: Forgot to mention I removed carpet with mine this weekend and prepped the floor for hardwood.
    Last edited by TellingTime; August 15th, 2017 at 00:39.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information