Speedmaster Moonwatch (005) accuracy. Your experience? Mine sucks somewhat.. - Page 2
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Speedmaster Moonwatch (005) accuracy. Your experience? Mine sucks somewhat..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Speedmaster Moonwatch (005) accuracy. Your experience? Mine sucks somewhat..

Also, have you checked if it is magnetized? For whatever reason my Speedy 3572 became magnetized and started gaining 30-40s/day. Put a compass net to it to check, and the north arrow tracked towards the watch. Took it to the local shop, 5 minutes later it was right as rain.

Defer to Archer for the 2 o'clock reset issue which only popped up once.

Re: Speedmaster Moonwatch (005) accuracy. Your experience? Mine sucks somewhat..

Quote Originally Posted by alexjust View Post
    Hey fellow Omega people, I couldn't find quite similar thread by searching WUS so here it goes...

I bought my Speedy (new) a bit over a year ago, but started noticing lately that it goes faster than the rest of the time in my part of the world. It probably gains about 3-4 minutes in 7-10 days. I let it fully unwind thus hoping (quite likely - naively) that it will "reset" , but to no avail.

I once saw the hour subdial somehow stuck on 2 o'clock while both the chronograph's seconds arrow and 30 minutes dial were dead on 12, I reset the chronograph and hadn't had this issue since. Do you think these experiences are warning signs that the famed Speedy might go kaput on me? My warranty is until Jul 2018..

Not sure what to do really...its an expensive watch (in relative terms) and it is a shame to let it play mind games with me, but I'm too lazy to send it to Omega (how is their customer service and turnaround times, btw?) and would hate to be without my daily wear for weeks (optimistically) while they are checking stuff there. Anyone has similar experience with Speedy's accuracy?
    The watch is new so service is not the issue. The Speedmaster Pro is non-COSC. Omega lists the 1861 movement specs at -1 to +11. Anywhere in that range is to be expected. Three minutes fast in seven days is almost +26 seconds a day. That would not be bad for some other watches, but for the Speedmaster it is way off. Sometimes a watch like this can be affected by a knock of some type. If this occurred during shipment, or on your wrist a simple regulation by a qualified watchmaker, or at the AD will fix the problem. Most of the time that can be done on the spot. After that, the resting position will influence your movement's accuracy. Every Speedy movement is different, so you will have to experiment with something that works for you. My Speedy runs about +6 seconds a day when rested dial up. It runs -2 seconds a day when rested crown down. This is my preference so I set the watch one minute ahead at the beginning of every other month. At the end of the two month period the movement has worked its way from +60 sec to -60 sec. As a daily wearer I only have to rest the watch six times a year and it is never more that a minute off, and within seconds of perfect most of the time. I hope this helps.

I bought my watch about a year and a half ago (April of 2016), for the first 6 months or so, the watch gain about 10-14 seconds/day. Now, it settled down a bit. For my speedy, I wear it almost everyday, but when I get home, I rest the watch HEAD DOWN, it gain less than 1 second/a day.

For magnetism, I would not worry too much about it. I'm using a Surface Pro, which has pretty strong magnetic field everywhere. I'm having no issue with it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by alexjust View Post
    Thanks for the detailed response. Interesting explanation for the hour sub-dial, you are probably right because watch received no shock.

To answer your questions:

1 - What are you measuring the watch against to determine the timing error, and how are you measuring it (daily, weekly, etc.)
    https://www.time.gov/ - should do the job. Every few days to a week.

2 - How often do you wind the watch?
    Every night around 10-10.30pm.

3 - Do you run the chronograph all or some of the time?
    From time to time. Not daily. Never all the time. Usually not more than 1-2 hours, if I do.
    Thanks for the answers - time.gov is a good source in my experience. Daily winding is good as it's meant to be wound daily, and not doing so will cause the timing to drift as the watch runs down. Also running the chronograph can cause an amplitude drop of up to 40 degrees, which can cause the watch to run faster, so if you were not winding daily or were running the chrono all the time, those would be the first 2 things to change to correct the timing.

Although it could be magnetized, that usually leads to gains that are in the minutes per day range - not always but typically. I would personally not bother with using a compass - compasses have magnets in them so the needle will move it there is something ferrous that is can be attracted to, so I personally don't consider this a valid test. If you are going to pursue the magnetism route, just get a demagnetizer and demagnetize it, and see if the timing improves. If it does not, then I would suggest taking it in while it's still under warranty.

Cheers, Al

The Hodinkee App has an atomic clock, both digital and analog display, that I use to set/check time.

I don't own a Speedy, but have a 2500 and 8900 Planet Ocean. The 2500 is +2-3 seconds per 24 hrs. The 8900 is +1 second per 24 hrs. The 2500 will vary a little depending on how I wear it, the 8900 does not vary from +1 regardless of usage. I didn't realize the Speedies varied so widely. Can anyone say why they do so? I have been seriously considering buying a Speedy Racer (329.30.44.51.01.002 to be exact), but gaining a minute every couple of days will drive nuts.

let me know if I need to start a new thread for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Poydras12 View Post
    The Hodinkee App has an atomic clock, both digital and analog display, that I use to set/check time.

I don't own a Speedy, but have a 2500 and 8900 Planet Ocean. The 2500 is +2-3 seconds per 24 hrs. The 8900 is +1 second per 24 hrs. The 2500 will vary a little depending on how I wear it, the 8900 does not vary from +1 regardless of usage. I didn't realize the Speedies varied so widely. Can anyone say why they do so? I have been seriously considering buying a Speedy Racer (329.30.44.51.01.002 to be exact), but gaining a minute every couple of days will drive nuts.

let me know if I need to start a new thread for this.
    The Speedmasters being discussed here are Speedmaster Professional models with the manually wound 1861 family of movements. These are not chronometer rated watches, so their timekeeping is not to the same standards that a COSC watch would have.

The watch you are considering is a completely different watch, with a completely different movement - it is a more modern 9900 series and is a chronometer. Average daily rate for that watch would be from 0 to +5 seconds per Omega specs, measured over 6 positions.

Cheers, Al
    Poydras12 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    The Speedmasters being discussed here are Speedmaster Professional models with the manually wound 1861 family of movements. These are not chronometer rated watches, so their timekeeping is not to the same standards that a COSC watch would have.

The watch you are considering is a completely different watch, with a completely different movement - it is a more modern 9900 series and is a chronometer. Average daily rate for that watch would be from 0 to +5 seconds per Omega specs, measured over 6 positions.

Cheers, Al
    Thank you Archer. And thank you for the concise and informative response to my naïve question.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    Thanks for the answers - time.gov is a good source in my experience. Daily winding is good as it's meant to be wound daily, and not doing so will cause the timing to drift as the watch runs down. Also running the chronograph can cause an amplitude drop of up to 40 degrees, which can cause the watch to run faster, so if you were not winding daily or were running the chrono all the time, those would be the first 2 things to change to correct the timing.

Although it could be magnetized, that usually leads to gains that are in the minutes per day range - not always but typically. I would personally not bother with using a compass - compasses have magnets in them so the needle will move it there is something ferrous that is can be attracted to, so I personally don't consider this a valid test. If you are going to pursue the magnetism route, just get a demagnetizer and demagnetize it, and see if the timing improves. If it does not, then I would suggest taking it in while it's still under warranty.

Cheers, Al

Thank you, Al, very helpful. I'll try that first

Quote Originally Posted by trh77 View Post
    Mine gains 15s/d. What’s omegas tolerance here? Can I send it for service?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Ironically enough, this week my Speedy is out of sync and started running right around this rate. +15 spd. If it continues, I might have to have it looked at.

Quote Originally Posted by biokeys87 View Post
    Ironically enough, this week my Speedy is out of sync and started running right around this rate. +15 spd. If it continues, I might have to have it looked at.
    Just measured...same result. Would you have this serviced? It’s only 2 months old.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information