Speedmaster Moonwatch (005) accuracy. Your experience? Mine sucks somewhat..
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Speedmaster Moonwatch (005) accuracy. Your experience? Mine sucks somewhat..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Confused Speedmaster Moonwatch (005) accuracy. Your experience? Mine sucks somewhat..

Hey fellow Omega people, I couldn't find quite similar thread by searching WUS so here it goes...

I bought my Speedy (new) a bit over a year ago, but started noticing lately that it goes faster than the rest of the time in my part of the world. It probably gains about 3-4 minutes in 7-10 days. I let it fully unwind thus hoping (quite likely - naively) that it will "reset" , but to no avail.

I once saw the hour subdial somehow stuck on 2 o'clock while both the chronograph's seconds arrow and 30 minutes dial were dead on 12, I reset the chronograph and hadn't had this issue since. Do you think these experiences are warning signs that the famed Speedy might go kaput on me? My warranty is until Jul 2018..

Not sure what to do really...its an expensive watch (in relative terms) and it is a shame to let it play mind games with me, but I'm too lazy to send it to Omega (how is their customer service and turnaround times, btw?) and would hate to be without my daily wear for weeks (optimistically) while they are checking stuff there. Anyone has similar experience with Speedy's accuracy?

Re: Speedmaster Moonwatch (005) accuracy. Your experience? Mine sucks somewhat..

Mine gains 15s/d. What’s omegas tolerance here? Can I send it for service?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Re: Speedmaster Moonwatch (005) accuracy. Your experience? Mine sucks somewhat..

Mine has been running at around +8.5 secs per day consistently. Not bad, but could be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP: what do you think would "suck" the least out of these options?

1. Putting up with the current accuracy issues (and the "mind games") and hoping it doesn't get any worse
    2. The inconvenience of taking it in and having it looked at (and being without it while it's fixed)
    3. Waiting for the watch to finally go "kaput" and then having the inconvenience of taking it and having it looked at; being without it; AND paying hundreds to have it put right

Personally, I'd go with No. 2! That's what warranties are for...

Good luck!
    rfortson likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken G View Post
    OP: what do you think would "suck" the least out of these options?

1. Putting up with the current accuracy issues (and the "mind games") and hoping it doesn't get any worse
    2. The inconvenience of taking it in and having it looked at (and being without it while it's fixed)
    3. Waiting for the watch to finally go "kaput" and then having the inconvenience of taking it and having it looked at; being without it; AND paying hundreds to have it put right

Personally, I'd go with No. 2! That's what warranties are for...

Good luck!
    Rationally i agree with you.
    Ken G likes this.

Mine is a year old and gains around 2 spd. I recollect reading somewhere the it has deviation range from -4 to +8 spd but I have read many performing much better. Normally I would like it to be with +5 spd.
    You can't buy love; but you pay heavily for it.

Speedmaster is -1/+11 according to Omega.
    Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day...

Quote Originally Posted by alexjust View Post
    Hey fellow Omega people, I couldn't find quite similar thread by searching WUS so here it goes...

I bought my Speedy (new) a bit over a year ago, but started noticing lately that it goes faster than the rest of the time in my part of the world. It probably gains about 3-4 minutes in 7-10 days. I let it fully unwind thus hoping (quite likely - naively) that it will "reset" , but to no avail.

I once saw the hour subdial somehow stuck on 2 o'clock while both the chronograph's seconds arrow and 30 minutes dial were dead on 12, I reset the chronograph and hadn't had this issue since. Do you think these experiences are warning signs that the famed Speedy might go kaput on me? My warranty is until Jul 2018..

Not sure what to do really...its an expensive watch (in relative terms) and it is a shame to let it play mind games with me, but I'm too lazy to send it to Omega (how is their customer service and turnaround times, btw?) and would hate to be without my daily wear for weeks (optimistically) while they are checking stuff there. Anyone has similar experience with Speedy's accuracy?
    So according to your 3-4 minutes over 7-10 days comment, the watch appears to be running about 24-25 seconds fast per day. Taken at face value, that is well outside the tolerances that Omega sets out for this watch (daily average rate should be from -1 to +11 measured over 3 positions). However, you have not given sufficient information to really make a firm judgement. So when people make complaints like this on forums, a few questions come to mind:

1 - What are you measuring the watch against to determine the timing error, and how are you measuring it (daily, weekly, etc.)

2 - How often do you wind the watch?

3 - Do you run the chronograph all or some of the time?

With regards to the hour recorder not being fully reset, that is likely a user error. The hour recorder operates and rests somewhat independently of the seconds and minutes recorders. If you run the chronograph for an hour or two to let the hour recorder move, you can see this by stopping the chronograph and pressing the reset pusher very slowly. There will be a small resistance and the minutes/seconds will reset, but the hour recorder only resets when you fully depress the pusher.

If you have only seen this situation once, it was most probably from not fully pressing the reset. Note that this hand could also move (unlike the minutes and seconds) if the watch received a strong shock.

Cheers, Al
    nigelw and georgegervin44 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    So according to your 3-4 minutes over 7-10 days comment, the watch appears to be running about 24-25 seconds fast per day. Taken at face value, that is well outside the tolerances that Omega sets out for this watch (daily average rate should be from -1 to +11 measured over 3 positions). However, you have not given sufficient information to really make a firm judgement. So when people make complaints like this on forums, a few questions come to mind:

1 - What are you measuring the watch against to determine the timing error, and how are you measuring it (daily, weekly, etc.)

With regards to the hour recorder not being fully reset, that is likely a user error. The hour recorder operates and rests somewhat independently of the seconds and minutes recorders. If you run the chronograph for an hour or two to let the hour recorder move, you can see this by stopping the chronograph and pressing the reset pusher very slowly. There will be a small resistance and the minutes/seconds will reset, but the hour recorder only resets when you fully depress the pusher.

If you have only seen this situation once, it was most probably from not fully pressing the reset. Note that this hand could also move (unlike the minutes and seconds) if the watch received a strong shock.

Cheers, Al
    Thanks for the detailed response. Interesting explanation for the hour sub-dial, you are probably right because watch received no shock.

To answer your questions:

https://www.time.gov/ - should do the job. Every few days to a week.

Every night around 10-10.30pm.

From time to time. Not daily. Never all the time. Usually not more than 1-2 hours, if I do.

My experience with my Speedy has been around 5-7 seconds per day. Something is definitely up with yours.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information