Speedy Pro: Can I afford my grail

Thread: Speedy Pro: Can I afford my grail

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Speedy Pro: Can I afford my grail

Good day everyone. I am curious if my eyes are bigger than my wallet in this case. I am a 22 yr old that just landed his first big job out of college. I have been lusting after the speedy pro for the last 8 mo or so and dont know if I can afford it presently. I have a budget of between 1200.00 and say 1500.00 USD. Obviously I'd have to go used but the question I have is; is it possible to get a say 85-90% watch at this price point or am I better off dragging my feet until my finances catch up with my wandering eyes. Thanks for all the help.

Re: Speedy Pro: Can I afford my grail

Congrats on the job! With some careful shopping, $1500 can net you a nice used Speedy so long as you're not expecting a newer one with boxes, papers, etc. Good hunting!
    Seiko Marinemaster SBDX001
    My Father's Hamilton Khaki Automatic

My Grandfather's Movado Sub Sea Automatic

"That's what character is-It's in the tryin'" Eric Taylor.

About a week or so ago I saw a Speedy Pro on a strap sell on eBay for around $1500. It was a bit beat up and didn't have boxes or paperwork, but it was real.

Congrats on the new job.

While you can definitely get one within your budget, you need to make sure to either set aside about $300 for a service or make sure you get one that you are 100% sure doesn't need to be serviced (eg. one which has been recently serviced by Omega and is still covered by the factory service warranty).

the best is to wait a little more and get a new one with more money....

a new is always better.....

I would save towards a new watch. Servicing a chronograph is expensive, and chances are you would need to service a heavily used one. That would bring your cost to $2,000. You can buy a brand new one for under $3,000 from an AD.

I think it is worth the wait.

I agree with the others, $1500 will get you a Pro on strap. If you save a little longer you can get one on bracelet for $2000.

Live on Top Ramen for another three months and scrape together $2,000 or so. I bought my Speedy used, less than one year old, with full box and papers for $2,200. Not a mark on it, save for a few swirlies on the clasp. You're almost there, so don't be penny-wise and pound-foolish. Good luck!!!
    Hotel Clerk: Do you have seventeen dollars and a good watch?
    Del: No I don't. I have uh... two dollars... and a Casio.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    CASIO: MTG-910DA, MTG-1200B, GW-M5610, GW-9400 | IWC: 325501 Mark XVI, 377704 Pilot's Chronograph, 500401 Big Pilot | OMEGA: Speedmaster Professional 3570.50.00 | SEIKO: Prospex SRP787 | TAG HEUER: Formula 1 Chronograph CAU1111

Hidden Content

I say keep saving and buy new...If this is your "grail" watch then I'm sure it will be staying with you for an extended period of time, maybe even the rest of your life...As such I think buying new would mean a bit more to you in the long term...Also if you keep saving then your basically half way there for a new piece...

For $2k, give or take, you can get a second-hand one that's new enough it shouldn't need a service. IMO that's the sweet spot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information