WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Still thinking about it...long thread, sorry

713 views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Kluber 
#1 ·
I started a similar thread about a year ago, but lately I’ve been thinking about it again...Trading my PO2500 for a Speedy Pro.

When I look at my PO2500, I keep thinking, for whatever reason, that I’d like something with a little more pedigree...Yes, the PO has a few Bond movies (which Omega paid for the spot), but the Speedmaster went to the friggin’ moon! If that doesn’t speak to toughness, I don’t know what does.

I also like the idea that the Speedy Pro is essentially the exact same design as it was back in the 60s. To me, that’s a sign of a good thing that doesn’t need changing. Look at the Rolex Sub as an example. Rolex has not had to make any real drastic changes since it came out. However, for whatever reason, Omega keeps changing their PO design (trying to fight Rolex??), and to some extent, the SMP designs too. And, the newest PO8500, imo, has gotten just too big. I know I’m in the minority, but to me the Speedy doesn’t live in the shadow of a Rolex like the PO does (please don’t crucify me for saying it). Again, just my opinion, but the black Sub seems to be the go-to diver in most peoples eyes. I must say though I think Omega has a real winner with the AT8500. To me, that watch certainly stands on its own.

I’ve also gone swimming with my PO a few times. And because I’m paranoid about the only $3K plus watch I can permit myself to have, I keep looking down to make sure moisture hasn’t gone in it. So really, I’m not comfortable swimming with my Omega anyway, so why have a 600m capable diver? If ever I return for a beach vacation, will I be comfortable swimming in the ocean with such an expensive watch?...No way, because I can’t afford to replace it if lost. With a Speedy, I’d be forced to take it off and keep it in a safe place.

Although I was wearing my PO when my second son was born, he’s not going to remember it. My eldest likes to turn the bezel, but he’d probably like the chrono function on the Speedy too (“look dad, the hands are spinning!”). Either watch, Speedy or PO, they will make great watches to pass along to the kids.

The Speedy doesn’t have a date function, which is my biggest concern. But, if heard of people using the seconds hand on the chrono for that if the date is that important. Besides, I sit at a computer and have my phone with me all the time. Knowing the date is never that difficult. Would I be able to adapt?

Auto vs. Manual. That also worries me. Will I get tired of winding each morning? However, I'm looking at getting another automatic Hamilton to share daily duties with whatever Omega I have, so will it bother me that much just a few days per week?

Finally, I find the Speedy looks amazing on straps, both brown and black, as well as the bracelet. I’m also of the opinion that a diver on leather just doesn’t work, even though it may look good.

Anyway, I’m just venting my thoughts on you guys and gals this morning. I feel like I’m at a crossroads with my PO. Thanks for listening...euh, reading. I certainly welcome any comments.

See less See more
Reactions: domoon
#2 ·
This is a tried and tested method - buy what you enjoy. It's that simple. I've purchased a few watches where I thought, "well, other people like this, so by default I should buy it and like it." If you like the Speedy Pro more, then flip the PO and buy one. Plenty of great deals on the second hand market for a 3570. To make things even better, your version PO is in demand, so you'll find a buyer quickly.

#3 ·
If you’re still thinking about it, then maybe your heart is already telling you the answer.

But if I were to address a few of the points in your post, I’d say the following..

With regards to the date function. I recently just acquired a speedy and my daily wear before that was an SMP. On my speedy days I don’t really miss the date, as you say we're surrounded by computers and phones. Also, I can’t think of any times in life that something very bad happens because one can’t remember the date :p

A gift to your kid down the line is a lovely gesture, but it’s going to be your watch for a long long time, so its important you enjoy it and you like it. I’m sure they’ll appreciate whatever gift you bestow upon them in future.

No difference between winding and auto, some people make a huge deal of it, but we are literally talking about a little over 30 seconds work in the morning to wind her.

As to Rolex’s shadow, the speedy’s history and people’s perceptions…. I wouldn’t worry about which has the best value in other people’s eyes, really it’s you who is most important, go with what you want and what gives you pleasure. People outside our little watch world probably wouldn’t know a speedy from a sub or their histories either.

#4 · (Edited)
I really like the 2500 PO and agree that outside of the technical feats, the newer version(s) are getting less desirable for me.

But all that said, if the speedy sings to you, go get it. It's definitely Omega's most iconic piece and initial claim to fame.

There's nothing lost with enjoying a certain watch for awhile (perhaps even years) and then making a move to flip it for another more desirable piece for you (with maybe the exception of a loss of money on the resale. But who buys a watch to make money?). Tastes can easily change with time.

The only thing I raise my eyebrow on your post is fear of swimming with the PO! It's a dive watch, man! Gotta take it in the ocean, diving preferably! The PO can take a beating and still come out pristine. Okay, okay enough of me giving you a hard time about that.

Good luck with whatever you do! Post pics of your new speedmaster if you end up making the switch. Cheers!

#5 ·
I've also gone swimming with my PO a few times. And because I'm paranoid about the only $3K plus watch I can permit myself to have, I keep looking down to make sure moisture hasn't gone in it. So really, I'm not comfortable swimming with my Omega anyway, so why have a 600m capable diver? If ever I return for a beach vacation, will I be comfortable swimming in the ocean with such an expensive watch?...No way, because I can't afford to replace it if lost. With a Speedy, I'd be forced to take it off and keep it in a safe place.
I've taken my PO Chrono scuba diving, as have plenty of other PO owners. They can take it, don't sweat it. It's what they were designed for!

I personally would think twice about leaving a Speedy in a hotel room while you're at the beach. I would rather be wearing the expensive watch than risk having it stolen. Either way, make sure it's covered on your home insurance just in case something does happen.

#7 ·
I think you are on the right track. If you still own the Speedy Pro 30 years from now, it will still look great on your wrist. If you still own the PO it will likely look quite dated. Of course, there's noting wrong with flipping the PO down the line for a newer Omega dive watch either. But if you want time tested appeal and watch geek pedigree, you are definitely on the right track with the Speedy Pro...

#8 ·
Can you buy the speedy without flipping the PO? Good second hand prices that are not too hard on the pocketbook if you save a little. The gen 1 PO will be a very desirable model down the road. I' went through the same dilemma a few years back but no way was I parting with my 2254 or PO to get the speedy. Now I have all 3. The speedy is a great, great watch. You will not regret buying one but you will regret selling the PO.

#11 ·
Thanks for all your thoughts so far. I know the PO can handle the diving, but I don't feel comfortable with it in too much water because I can't afford to replace it if lost, and fixing it besides regular service is not appealing either. I had a cheap watch when I was very young. The spring bar failed when an ocean wave hit me and I lost the watch. Not something I want to risk with such a high priced item. Yes there are nato straps, but I'm not a fan of switching straps often either. And, seals can fail in the pool or ocean, even though unlikely with a quality piece. I have whatever money I can spare wrapped up in other things too, so one good luxury watch and another reasonably priced watch is all I really want right now.

So yes, I agree the PO is built to withstand the water, but the cost of it makes me to not want to risk it if unnecessary. And, I can't afford to have a Speedy and a PO, and I'm not sure I'd want that much money tied up in watches (I have two young children and I'm restoring a car too $$).

#13 ·
Hey Kluber...

Thinking diving experience first, either here or elsewhere on holiday (first saw you could do a one off dive for fun a couple of days back when I was in the south of Italy on holiday, did loads of snorkeling and really liked it....) and if I enjoy the experience going for the PADI open water course, that way you always have the qualification if you fancy a dive with a buddy sometime.

Its something Ive been kinda keen on trying for a while but never managed to do it. Its a little daunting and scary, but that often makes for a fun experience. As for the advice, it is much appreciated and Ill take it on board!

I take it your a diver then?

#14 · (Edited)
Hey Kluber...

Thinking diving experience first, either here or elsewhere on holiday (first saw you could do a one off dive for fun a couple of days back when I was in the south of Italy on holiday, did loads of snorkeling and really liked it....) and if I enjoy the experience going for the PADI open water course, that way you always have the qualification if you fancy a dive with a buddy sometime.

Its something Ive been kinda keen on trying for a while but never managed to do it. Its a little daunting and scary, but that often makes for a fun experience. As for the advice, it is much appreciated and Ill take it on board!

I take it your a diver then?
Diving is a blast, you're gonna love it. Nothing really to it, it's a very relaxing and enjoyable experience, so no need to be anxious.

Yeah, I've dove in various places but never Italy, that'd be awesome. I did the PADI cert as well. I've dove in New Zealand, Fiji, Hawaii, Virgin Islands, Malaysia and some others ...I'm kind of a wuss so much prefer warmer water.

Sounds like you have a fun plan. Recommend certifying as well. Also a good rule of thumb I learned the hard way, after you get certified and venture in diving, take a look at the dive shop/tour reviews around the places you plan to dive and pick the good ones to scuba with. This sounds obvious but there is nothing worse than having an awesome location selected and joining a dive tour that has poor procedures. It can ruin the experience regardless of how awesome the dive locations are.

Where are some places you are considering for your first dive?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.