Wanting to buy first Omega (Speedy Pro)
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Wanting to buy first Omega (Speedy Pro)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wanting to buy first Omega (Speedy Pro)

Hey guys. So I am in the market for my first nice watch and a coworker of mine turned me on to the Speedmaster Professional. I absolutely love the look of this watch. I have doing my do diligence on researching the different model numbers and movements so that I have a better understanding of the prices. From what I have gathered is that one can be had for between $3,000 and $3,500. So I thought I would ask some of you guys that have way more knowledge about these watches. What is the going rate for a nice used Omega Speedster? I appreciate any help you can provide.

Re: Wanting to buy first Omega (Speedy Pro)

You need to ask yourself a couple questions first - do you want a newer model, or do you want vintage? Do you want a leather strap or a bracelet? Your ballpark price is pretty accurate - I've seen several for between $3300 and $3700 on the watch sale sites for the current big box with all the extras. If you go older, but not vintage you can probably source one for between $2700-3000. There is a rabbit hole of details if you go vintage though. Speedmaster101 | How To Buy An Omega Speedmaster is a good place to look for information on those.

Thank you rcs914 for your reply. I love the look of some of the vintage watches, but that look comes with a higher price. I wouldn't mind getting an older (not vintage) model that hasn't had to many replacement parts added. Does having the Omega box with it add value? It seems that the newer ones with the fancy black boxes come at a higher price. Not going to lie. I feel a little overwhelmed with all the different reference numbers and movements.

World of Speedies might be overwhelming, especially when you want to go vintage. Basically if you are new in the field do your research, if you want to buy vintage you have to do a lot of it. If you want to go modern there is much easier situation. One major question you must answer is if you want hesalite (plastic) or sapphire glass (with display back). Hesalite is prone to scratches but can be polished out and cheaply replaced, it's more similar to the original moonwatch, sapphire is scratch resistant but it looks and feels different. Also hesalite models are cheaper than sapphire ones. When it comes to modern Speedies, you have following references:

3570.50: metal caseback, hesalite crystal and old red box without extras
    3573.50: display caseback, sapphire crystal and old red box without extras

311.30.42.30.01.005: metal caseback, hesalite crystal and new presentation box
    311.30.42.30.01.006: display caseback, sapphire crystal and new presentation box

If you are newcomer I would suggest to stick to these references. I only gave you the refs with metal bracelet, it's always better IMO to buy with bracelet because it keeps better resale value and the bracelet is cool by itself.

When it comes to prices, the one at the top of my list should be the cheapest and going down prices will rise. Of course everything depends on the condition, age and if the seller has full set (boxes, papers, cards). Also keep in mind that when you buy a watch with unknown service history there is a high probability you will have to perform $500 service and the price could not be as good as it looks. And most importantly always buy the seller.
    Last edited by nicon; May 26th, 2016 at 01:04.
    imagwai and .Jack like this.

Hello, I sent you a message. I have a Speedmaster Pro that I am considering selling.

Quote Originally Posted by nicon View Post
    3570.50: metal caseback, hesalite crystal and old red box without extras
    3573.50: display caseback, sapphire crystal and old red box without extras
    There's also the:

3572.50: display caseback, hesalite crystal and old red box without extras

OP needs to understand that used models often need a servicing, which can cost as much as $800. Add this to the cost of a used watch, and the price can approach the cost of a new (grey market) watch. However, in the case of the 3572.50, there is no modern equivalent, unlike the others. If you want that look, you have to go used. On the other hand, an older 3572.50 with the yellow-gilded 863 movement is gorgeous, as can be seen in this example: Which dial is more desirable for a 3572.50? Tritium or Superluminova

Also, some older 3570.50 and 3572.50 watches have the often desirable tritium dials, but OP needs to understand that the tritium lume has generally faded into uselessness. You buy these for the patina and maybe the movement, but not for the lume.

I sure appreciate all the help and advice guys. Im a little torn between a new used Speedy or a older vintage. There in a 1979 speedy I am liking. I really love the look of the faded tritium.

Quote Originally Posted by jdawson View Post
    There's also the:

3572.50: display caseback, hesalite crystal and old red box without extras

OP needs to understand that used models often need a servicing, which can cost as much as $800. Add this to the cost of a used watch, and the price can approach the cost of a new (grey market) watch. However, in the case of the 3572.50, there is no modern equivalent, unlike the others. If you want that look, you have to go used. On the other hand, an older 3572.50 with the yellow-gilded 863 movement is gorgeous, as can be seen in this example: Which dial is more desirable for a 3572.50? Tritium or Superluminova

Also, some older 3570.50 and 3572.50 watches have the often desirable tritium dials, but OP needs to understand that the tritium lume has generally faded into uselessness. You buy these for the patina and maybe the movement, but not for the lume.
    Eye of the beholder and all that... I've wanted a 3572.50 forever, but I don't like the gold plated movements and much prefer the rhodium plated ones. A Be-Cu movement though looks best to me. Time to get a display back and spacer ring for mine I guess

Just be careful with the vintage, I think you may always post some pictures here and you will get some feedback. There are a lot of frankenwatches out there, many things could be wrong.

Better to save $1k and risk service? Or buy new?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    alex79 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast