What's a true limited edition = value

Thread: What's a true limited edition = value

What's a true limited edition = value

This topic relates to a previous thread about the limited edition "speedy moon" watches...
    Can one really ascertain the value of so called "limited editions"
    On one hand, a large manufacturer, like Omega may call 1 of 3,000 or even 5,000 a limited edition and another smaller company will call 1 0f 500 a limited edition and worth far more than the regular production run.
    Last night on one of the talk, sell, T.V watch programs, they mentioned that a certain watch was one of 100 (limited edition) that will be put out on rare occasions???
    Is it really worth spending (and it is always mentioned and priced as such) the extra $$$ to purchase a "limited edition"
    Of course the manufacturer makes a big difference... But one rep. from a rather larger reputable, company stated that anything over 250 pcs. can hardly be considered a "limited edition"
    Any thoughts on the aforementioned???
    And what is actually a limited edition +/- 3,000pcs or +/- 250 or even 100pcs?
    Thanks,
    Bob

Re: What's a true limited edition = value

IMHO I think that watches that are limited to 100-250 pieces could be classify as limited edition. For watches make under 50 pieces, IMO is a true limited edition.

Watches that have been limited to 500 pieces and over IMO is just a marketing strategy.

Regards,
    Kevin

If it under 50 pieces and very special; maybe. Like the Corum Golden Bridge
    in Platinum. Otherwise, most are a waste of money. A run of 50 could last
    for years if no one is buying. Most of the time it's nothing to get excited
    about.

Jon

Personally, I have had one limited 30th anniversary speedy, but sold it to get a cal 321 speedmaster instead

Here are some of my thoughts on limited. I think they have a little higher value than the normal ones, but not much than a couple of hundred dollars.
    And that wuold at least to me be only if they was in all original shape, mint and all papers included. If not, it is only a different looking speedy
    Unless we are talking very limited watches of course

But I don't like the limited editions that much. If you want it to keep value, I don't think you should use it, and then, I would not like to have a watch I would not use.
    On the other hand, if you like the white dial on the 35th (I do), you can of course just look at it as a regular speedy and use it like that
    But if you want something keeping it's value, I think a calibre 321 is going to be better in the future.

And finally, I think it's impossible to tell the value of the missing card. To some people it would make no difference at all, and to some people collecting it would not even be interesting without

Just a few of my personal thoughts on this matter. I would say, buy a watch you like to wear

Cheers Jon

Buy it because you like it! Don't give LIMITED EDITION a second thought!John Wilson.

The very nature of supply and demand is likely to make a limited edition more valuable, in itself. Of course, as is the case with any watch, the buyers will determine the price. If a perspective buyer really wants a 35th Anniversary Speedy, the comparative rarity of the model will demand a higher price.
    Regarding the figures presented in the initial post, it's relative. If a normal production run of a product is 100,000, 100 LE pieces are certainly more desirable than 100 LE of 1,000. That is to say, it's hard to just say that 3000 LE pieces is just marketing, unless you consider the normal production run of that item.

I think there are several variables that help determine the true value of a Limited Edition watch.

Number of pieces - A numbered 30th Anniversary Speedy, with a run of 9,999 pieces is not going to fetch the same price as say, a MIR LE of 35 pieces, even though the only difference is the caseback.

Distinguishing features, which makes the LE unique, as well as how attractive those features are. For instance, if the only distinguishable feature is a special caseback, it may not be as desirable as one with a unique (and attractive) dial. Even that is subjective, as is the case with the LE Snoopy Speedy.

The market - Even with a relatively high production run, if the right buyers exist, the value will be higher. The LE 007 Seamaster had a run of 10,007 pieces, which seems like a lot. However, these pieces generally fetch much higher prices than the standard model.

It's difficult to just say, X number of pieces makes a LE "worth it." To the right collector, a Limited Edition may be worth much more than a standard model. To a buyer just looking for a nice looking watch to wear, the extra cost isn't justified.
    Just my thoughts.

eric

Thanks Eric and all,
    I guess all the watch companies use the LE as a marketing ploy from Corum to Rolex, Omega, Tag and even lower end Invicta and Android, so it is all relative, and only worth what the market dictates.
    Yet WE the watch buyers certainly have little aprehension in snapping them up!
    Thanks again,
    Bob

It's difficult to just say, X number of pieces makes a LE "worth it." To the right collector, a Limited Edition may be worth much more than a standard model. To a buyer just looking for a nice looking watch to wear, the extra cost isn't justified.
    Just my thoughts.

eric[/QUOTE]

I've owned a 20th Anniv. Apollo XI LE and two 30th Anniv. Apollo XVII LE's. I was afraid to wear any of them for fear of diminishing their value as "collectables". (IMO, a limited edition of anything only has value as a collectable.) All three have been sold to fund the purchase of "wearables".

Now here are some true "limited editions" although Omega will not admit to their existence:

These are three Seamaster 120m's produced by Omega in 1998 with dials imprinted with "Speedmaster".

John

Quote Originally Posted by john wilson
    Buy it because you like it! Don't give LIMITED EDITION a second thought!John Wilson.
    The BEST advice of all!!

Thread Information