Why do YOU prefer a PO over a Rolex Submariner? - Page 11
Like Tree319Likes

Thread: Why do YOU prefer a PO over a Rolex Submariner?

Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Re: Why do YOU prefer a PO over a Rolex Submariner?

Quote Originally Posted by Knisse View Post
    I highly prefer the brand Omega to the brand Rolex - Rolex is a Rolex which does not conjour positive image in my head. Still i would buy the submariner any day over the PO because i think Omega lacks the technical capabilities to make normal size watches. I still wear a 2500 Aqua Terra because that is the last time Omega managed to make a reasonably wearable diver watch. The previous was the wave dial bond.

Simply - despite being a huuuugh corporation they have not managed in almost 10 years to make a decent sized watch, i am starting to think that they are too incompetent to make around 9-10mm watches with the 8500 movement, in the either diver/sport/dress combined category.

And yes, i am angry about it because Omega is my brand, and i want one that fit me properly
    I'm a fellow AT2500 lover, too, although I don't really like the newer Maxi case Rolex watches, either, so really it's the decision between the PO 2500 and 16610.

What's bonkers is that the current Sub's movement is a half millimeter thinner than the Omega 8500, so I don't understand why Omega doesn't get the thickness down. I think it's because they want sapphire case backs and "wrist presence."

I own both. I prefer the PO due to it being less common, especially the version I have and nobody notices it on my wrist which I like a lot.
    Dan

My Instagram: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    I'm a fellow AT2500 lover, too, although I don't really like the newer Maxi case Rolex watches, either, so really it's the decision between the PO 2500 and 16610.

What's bonkers is that the current Sub's movement is a half millimeter thinner than the Omega 8500, so I don't understand why Omega doesn't get the thickness down. I think it's because they want sapphire case backs and "wrist presence."
    You are probably right about that - but it has got to absurd length - if i wanted a brick on my arm i would look into Breitling or Panerai.
    DrDavid90 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Knisse View Post
    You are probably right about that - but it has got to absurd length - if i wanted a brick on my arm i would look into Breitling or Panerai.
    Oh, I agree. That's why I haven't been interested in many new Omegas in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Savvy View Post
    I am a salesman --selling construction projects and having 5 appointments every day talking with customers face to face. For me PO is the right watch. Definitely less recognizable than Rolex. I do not want that every customer stares at my wrist with Rolex. I can afford Rolex but it is not for me. i do not need a statement watch like Rolex.
    PO is the best.
    True story lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

Rollies for me!

Although the Submariner is an iconic watch, there's alot of people who own the Submariner. People at this point are more interested in a Submariner because it's a Rolex and that Rolex is the luxury watch to own. IMO the PO is more unique and less like the others.
    SeanoftheDead516 likes this.

I just sold my blue TT Submariner today, so that's three Subs I've bought and sold (Sub 16800, Sub Hulk, Sub 16613 TT)

But I still have all of my Planet Ocean's (two Planet Ocean Liquid Metal Limited Edition, one Planet Ocean 2500 with orange bezel mod, one Ti Planet Ocean 8500, and one Ti Planet Ocean 9300).
    OMEGA * Grey Side of the Moon * Silver Snoopy Award * Ti Planet Ocean 8500 & 9300 * PO LM LE x2 * X-33 Solar Impulse LE * Seamaster Pro Ceramic +/- Chrono * Planet Ocean 2500 * 76 Speedmaster Pro * Ti SMP Chrono 2298.80 * SMP 2541.80 * WatchCo SM300 * '62 Seamaster DeVille * '62 SS Seamaster
    ROLEX * GMT Master II BLNR & Coke * Polar Explorer II 216570 * Black Exp II 16570 * Tudor Black Bay Red
    OTHER * Grand Seiko SBGX115 * Hamilton Harrison Ford Chrono * Bulova Moon x2 * Victorinox Dive Master 500 x4 * Luminox Atacama 1842 & 1923 + Colormark 3157 * TAG Classic 2000 & Red Bull Formula 1 * Seiko Astron GPS Solar * Seiko Prospex LE/PADI/SKX007/009/173 * Citizen Ti Perpetual Calendar + 300M Diver x3 * DLC Apple Watch * Egard Passages * Casio ProTrek Solar * Commander 300 * NTH Sub x2
    SOLD
    * Omega AT Quartz, Skyfall, MC, 2503.33 * Omega Great White GMT * Omega SMP Mid * Speedmaster 3513.30 * Rolex Sub Hulk & 16800 & TT Sub * Nomos Midnight Orion stolen * Rolex Polar Exp II * Omega CK-2998LE

Spectacular Watch!!

I have tried to make a list of the features that I really like about my Planet Ocean. I have owned three of them now and I grow in appreciation about what they bring to the wearer.

The Movement

At work I come in contact with equipment and devices that can create serious magnetic fields. I appreciate the advanced anti-magnetic protection in this movement.

I really like the 60 hour power reserve. I can take the watch off on Friday night after work and wear other watches over the weekend. It is still on time and ready Monday morning with no need to set it.

The quickset hour hand is a great tool for traveling. I am a stickler for my watches being set to the atomic clock. Hacking the watch to set the hour when I land typically puts watches behind slightly. The quickset hour feature saves this hassle.

The other thing I like to do is take pictures of the watch I'm wearing. To take advantage of a particular background setting or lighting condition the quickset hour hand lets me quickly adjust it to balance out the hand position so the hands aren’t stacked up. I can then easily set it back without hosebagging the time.

The Bezel

I often use it to time things such as my BBQ or smoking meats. The PO has a very easy turning bezel that allows me to grip and turn it precisely, even with gloves on. Most of my watches I cannot set the bezel time easily with gloves.

The Crystal

The slightly domed crystal prevents that flat glare that happens on many watches. The fact that it is also a double domed crystal provides a clear view with no distortion. I also really appreciate the double anti-reflective coating. The result is an invisible crystal from nearly every viewing angle.

The Dial

In the case of my PO I have chosen the blue variant. The range of blue colors that the dial and bezel present are amazing. It looks different all day in varied lighting conditions. Most of the watches I own are black dialed. Switching to them from the blue PO has made many of them feel boring to look at.

The ceramic dial provides a deep, exquisite experience. It reminds me of a pool of liquid ink.

I applaud the choice of a dark color wheel with a lighter date font. I find it more legible and a more integrated design. For me this eliminates the need for a cyclops interrupting the balance.

I also prefer the visual dial diversity that comes with the combination of applied indices and numerals.

The Hands

The minute and seconds hand have good, visible contrast all the way out to the edge of the dial. As I get older clean and legible become more important. There is never any question what time it is when I glance quickly at the watch.

I have never been that excited by Mercedes hands. This is my personal opinion but I feel they lack masculinity. They are also used on over 60% of the dive watches on the market from a plethora of manufacturers. I much prefer the bold arrows and the spear-like seconds hand. I guess I’m a barbarian in my tastes.

The Lume

The lume on the PO is a combination of blue and green. Predominantly blue with the bezel pip and the minute hand in green. The contrast makes it very easy to see the pip/minute-hand relationship but also just brings a rich experience to the dial. The lume brightness, intensity and longevity are excellent.

The Band

For me the double push button release is more convenient than digging my fingernail into a fliplock and popping it open. It just feels more refined.

The Case

It has clean, demonstrative lines using a combination of brushed and polished elements. It has a bold and masculine look.

I like a display back. My interest in automatic watches started because of the fascination with the human ingenuity behind gears and springs arranged to keep time. I still like to look upon and marvel at the brilliance. Occasionally I get the opportunity to talk to a non-WIS about what an automatic watch is. It is nice to be able to show them the beating heart of a balance wheel and watch the amazement spread across their face.
    Last edited by Vindic8; June 21st, 2017 at 07:57. Reason: spelling
    refugio, zombaid, highbob and 5 others like this.

Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread Information