Why do YOU prefer a PO over a Rolex Submariner? - Page 14
Like Tree319Likes

Thread: Why do YOU prefer a PO over a Rolex Submariner?

Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Re: Why do YOU prefer a PO over a Rolex Submariner?

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Killer View Post
    Some great comments here. No wonder I have been reading these forums as far back as 2009 but only recently have become a member. In 2009 I purchased my first Swiss watch after receiving a final bonus from work and I wanted a nice watch as a late 40th birthday gift for myself. During that time I was torn between the Submariner and the PO. I just couldn't justify the Sub's price (even back then) which is why I purchased the Omega. I've got a 42mm 250D. The watch has been ultra reliable and only last month did I have my service which I negotiated free with the Swatch Group after my first PO stopped. (t was replaced by a brand new one after about a month and that is the one that I have now. I think the watch is timeless. Love the thinner black bezel insert. I'm not a fan of the new ceramic bezels and I think the cyclops ruins the aesthetics of any watch despite me now struggling to see the date without my reading glasses. :)

Do I think the sub is a better watch? Probably. However, I just couldn't sell my first proper Swiss watch and my PO will be part of my small collection until the end of my days.

I'd still love to own a Rolex one day and would probably choose either a Pepsi GMT, Daytona (I wish) or Milgauss. I, however, have a rule. The watch must be at least 41mm which probably discounts the Milgauss.

All the best Gentlemen!!
    There is a new Datejust in 41mm now available in steel and gold or just steel. Awesome new movement, slimer more elegant case and available in oyester and jubilee braceket.

I had a 42mm 2500 black. I loved it but some things annoyed me always. The dial was never really black and the indexes were never really white. The 8500 models have solved these issues but they are crazy thick and way too blingy for my taste. I went for a 5 digit no date sub and forgot the PO for my whole life. The sub is a PERFECT WATCH for me.

blx
    I love the look of the Rolex Sub but feel like it draws too much attention. I personally have the PO and am very happy but won't rule out getting the Sub later

I find it interesting/noteworthy that in a post where the OP asks the question "Why do YOU prefer a PO over a Rolex Submariner?" directed at PO owners who prefer their PO to a Sub, that you have people who are not the intended audience posting defensive or disparaging opinion. If you prefer the Sub to the PO than you are not the intended audience. If you just have a Sub and have never had a PO, you are not the intended audience.

If you have a Sub and prefer it to a PO, great, post in an appropriate thread. There are about 1000 "Sub vs Planet Ocean" threads out there. But please take the two seconds to read the post title and act accordingly.

If you do in fact have a PO and prefer it to the Sub, or prefer aspects to the Sub, those are the people being asked to for their insight and opinion. Otherwise it really just comes off as arrogant and rude.
    highbob and lukeap69 like this.

My gut feeling confirmed by Roger Smith and Laurent Ferrier.

http://www.revolution.watch//budget-...prettyPhoto/0/

Two out of four recommend Rolex as best under $10,000 watch. What good statistics.

Good luck to Mr. Ferrier in buying a ceramic bezeled Daytona for under $10k.

Quote Originally Posted by Makhdoom View Post
    My gut feeling confirmed by Roger Smith and Laurent Ferrier.

http://www.revolution.watch//budget-...prettyPhoto/0/

Two out of four recommend Rolex as best under $10,000 watch. What good statistics.
    Except that Ferrier is talking about finding a vintage piece at an auction. And the Daytona is not under 10K, is it?
    highbob likes this.
    Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day...

Quote Originally Posted by Vindic8 View Post
    I find it interesting/noteworthy that in a post where the OP asks the question "Why do YOU prefer a PO over a Rolex Submariner?" directed at PO owners who prefer their PO to a Sub, that you have people who are not the intended audience posting defensive or disparaging opinion. If you prefer the Sub to the PO than you are not the intended audience. If you just have a Sub and have never had a PO, you are not the intended audience.

If you have a Sub and prefer it to a PO, great, post in an appropriate thread. There are about 1000 "Sub vs Planet Ocean" threads out there. But please take the two seconds to read the post title and act accordingly.

If you do in fact have a PO and prefer it to the Sub, or prefer aspects to the Sub, those are the people being asked to for their insight and opinion. Otherwise it really just comes off as arrogant and rude.
    Go back and read his 2nd post in thread (3rd overall). He said he was leaning towards a PO thus he was asking for reasons why one might prefer a PO rather than a sub. By posting that, he opened the door for advice. In my case I have owned both, thus I said I preferred the SubC.
    Not all those who wander are lost;

Quote Originally Posted by Super Fuzz View Post
    Except that Ferrier is talking about finding a vintage piece at an auction. And the Daytona is not under 10K, is it?
    Since he is not talking about new Rolexes it can be safely assumed that Omega is better than a Rolex, wrong, his reason for picking vintage Daytonas is that some can be had for less than $10,000. Check Chrono24 for validation.

So to reiterate, two watchmakers picked Rolex and none of them picked Omega.

My gut still wins, Rolex is king, thats why it has a crown on the dial.
    Last edited by Makhdoom; June 26th, 2017 at 04:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterthere View Post
    Go back and read his 2nd post in thread (3rd overall). He said he was leaning towards a PO thus he was asking for reasons why one might prefer a PO rather than a sub. By posting that, he opened the door for advice. In my case I have owned both, thus I said I preferred the SubC.
    Yes please do read that. He states that he is leaning towards the PO and he then calls out a specific, objective aspect of the PO where it outperforms the Sub. It is appatant that he is looking for more traits the PO shines. I see nowhere where he asks for more information about the Sub. I also do not see where he deviates from his original question in any way. If you found the language "leaning toword" an open door to change the direction of the post I would says it's a stretch.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Thread Information