Why do YOU prefer a PO over a Rolex Submariner? - Page 2
Like Tree321Likes

Thread: Why do YOU prefer a PO over a Rolex Submariner?

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Re: Why do YOU prefer a PO over a Rolex Submariner?

Older PO is a great watch, the newer ones are too gigantically thick to be considered for everyday wear by us tiny wristers

Planet ocean progress peaked with the 8500 to me. The new ones look a little avante garde for my tastes.

I owned a PO 42mm 8500 and it's a great watch. A little beefier than a sub and certainly more visually modern. The display back is cool.

Full disclosure: I've since sold it and wear a sea dweller every day. Different watch entirely but I like the more subdued nature of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Forgive my typographical errors. This was sent from a mobile device.

New ones with 8800 movements are really attractive. I have the SubC but that PO sure made me look a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by Toothbras View Post
    Older PO is a great watch, the newer ones are too gigantically thick to be considered for everyday wear by us tiny wristers
    I get ya. It might be too beefy for me, but I love the anti-magnetic master chronometer though.

Submariner seems to be more desirable in general from the people I've spoken to.

Banned

I also have own both. I would go for the Rolex : more reliable and better feeling on the wrist (my opinion)...

I've owned a subc and don't like the case. I love Rolex but I feel the new subs are bloated and the cases are very plane. I much prefer the 5 digit reference. Also I feel the sub draws to much attention, I love that my PO flys under the radar. Plus I think the attention to detail that omega has put into the case, bezel and dial on the PO smokes the subc. I have the new 39.5 PO and I don't see any advantage over a sub other then maybe the clasp. But other then that in my opinion the PO does everything else better.

I'm not sure I do. However, if I did it would be because of the Daniels co-ax.

I've never owned either, although I have had a Sea Dweller (pre-ceramic bezel) and I do regret selling that a great deal. Rolex used to be attainably expensive and my last one (a GMT II) bought new in the UK in 2003 cost me less than GBP2500 BNIB. Nowadays the prices are silly - here in NZ I would be asked the equivalent of about GBP6000 for the modern version. The black version of the PO is NZ$16,000 - around GBP8,000 equivalent.

I owned a PO, sold it, bought the SubC. The sub was a great watch, I enjoyed it but just a bit too much bling for me. I sold the Rolex about a year ago, just went back to the PO when I found a minty 2500 D.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tricky question and I have a feeling that this thread may quickly turn into a comparison thread.

Let me explain why the question is tricky from my perspective... for most people a submariner means either a 14060 or 114060 or 16610 or 116610 and PO means the steel PO with calibers 2500, 8500, 8900 etc. If these are being pitted against each other, then I would prefer the Sub mostly because of value proposition, aesthetics, height and weight.

For me I have the Hulk (116610LV) and the 42mm Ti PO with 8500 movement on the OEM blue rubber strap. Between these two, the PO looks to be more sporty and it is my go to watch for weekend fun related activities. Also the PO is by far more accurate than both of my modern Rolexes.

Aiming to retire with a Patek Philippe Nautilus (5711/1A-010) & Richard Lange (232.025)

I have always lusted after a Submariner, stemming from my first viewing of Dr No and From Russia with Love as an adult. However, I see the price as overblown. Moreover, the case is nowhere near as aesthetically pleasing as the intentional and subtle contours of the newer POs (I have an 8500 42mm). They are just perfect designs. The new versions are great too - especially the 39mm. I wish they had kept the matte finish on the ceramic though. That gloss is a bit much, though not a deal breaker for me.

My PO gains .5 seconds per day, and it gets banged around plenty since I currently spend most of my days with my 2.5 yr old. I think the movement is impressive, robust, and durable. I'd love a Sub, but it would have to be vintage now to please me aesthetically. As others have said, the inflated lugs and silly case design (especially around the crown) have really turned it into a clown watch for me. For those who hate on the PO due to its thickness, have a side by side look with the 114060 and try and tell me the Rolex is really the better design.
    Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day...

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information