Why do YOU prefer a PO over a Rolex Submariner? - Page 3
Like Tree319Likes

Thread: Why do YOU prefer a PO over a Rolex Submariner?

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Re: Why do YOU prefer a PO over a Rolex Submariner?

Quote Originally Posted by Super Fuzz View Post
    I have always lusted after a Submariner, stemming from my first viewing of Dr No and From Russia with Love as an adult. However, I see the price as overblown. Moreover, the case is nowhere near as aesthetically pleasing as the intentional and subtle contours of the newer POs (I have an 8500 42mm). They are just perfect designs. The new versions are great too - especially the 39mm. I wish they had kept the matte finish on the ceramic though. That gloss is a bit much, though not a deal breaker for me.

My PO gains .5 seconds per day, and it gets banged around plenty since I currently spend most of my days with my 2.5 yr old. I think the movement is impressive, robust, and durable. I'd love a Sub, but it would have to be vintage now to please me aesthetically. As others have said, the inflated lugs and silly case design (especially around the crown) have really turned it into a clown watch for me. For those who hate on the PO due to its thickness, have a side by side look with the 114060 and try and tell me the Rolex is really the better design.
    It is a better design.
    soaking.fused, liwang22 and Atleo like this.
    Not all those who wander are lost;

Quote Originally Posted by Betterthere View Post
    It is a better design.

Why?

Not trying to troll, I really don't know much about Rolex design or movements.

Quote Originally Posted by agentmulder View Post
    Why?

Not trying to troll, I really don't know much about Rolex design or movements.
    Super Fuzz said compare them side by side and tell him it's a better design. I have compared, owned both and in regards to hate due to thickness, the SubC is a better design. Height of the case and way it sits on your wrist makes it much more wearable. I said nothing about movements or other aspects. Technically, I should not post in this thread because it is for those who prefer POs over Subs.

I have the black PO 2500 D movement, I like the larger bezel on the omega. I never really cross shopped the submariner at the time of my PO purchase. With that said I have entertained selling my PO GMT in hopes of finding a mint Pepsi GMT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Hidden Content
    Tag Heuer Link CT1111
    Omega PO 2200.51
    Omega SMP 2541.80
    Archimede Pilot XL 45mm
    Marathon JSAR
    G-Shock GW-A1000

I've always enjoyed the more sophisticated appeal of the Planet Ocean, in comparison with the more simplistic design of the Submariner..

However, having seen Omega's newest reiteration of the Planet Oceans (8900) I must say that the design has "evolved" from being sophisticated to just being flashy.

Creating the need to balance between looks (8500) and movement innovations (8900).

But that's just my opinion ;)

David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Betterthere View Post
    I have always lusted after a Submariner, stemming from my first viewing of Dr No and From Russia with Love as an adult. However, I see the price as overblown. Moreover, the case is nowhere near as aesthetically pleasing as the intentional and subtle contours of the newer POs (I have an 8500 42mm). They are just perfect designs. The new versions are great too - especially the 39mm. I wish they had kept the matte finish on the ceramic though. That gloss is a bit much, though not a deal breaker for me.

My PO gains .5 seconds per day, and it gets banged around plenty since I currently spend most of my days with my 2.5 yr old. I think the movement is impressive, robust, and durable. I'd love a Sub, but it would have to be vintage now to please me aesthetically. As others have said, the inflated lugs and silly case design (especially around the crown) have really turned it into a clown watch for me. For those who hate on the PO due to its thickness, have a side by side look with the 114060 and try and tell me the Rolex is really the better design.
    It is a better design.
    I don't agree about the newer ones. They've slowly lost what's special about the original look. Height isn't a deal breaker for me personally- I'm also 6"2 and while fairly lean, I'm no small guy. The PO 42mm is a sweet spot for me. The XL versions are gross IMO. But so is the case and lug design of the newer Subs.

I don't agree about the newer ones. They've slowly lost what's special about the original look. Height isn't a deal breaker for me personally- I'm also 6"2 and while fairly lean, I'm no small guy. The PO 42mm is a sweet spot for me. The XL versions are gross IMO. But so is the case and lug design of the newer Subs.
    Opinions: agree to disagree. My PO was an 8500, sub is 114060. I'm 6 ft 193 lb so that was not the issue. Carry on.

I'm not sure I do.

I like the variety my PO Ti offers (both design and movement) but I already had a couple of Rolexes when I bought it (including a GMT which looks similar to the Sub).

If I were buying just one watch, I'd get the Rolex.

Simple answer to this.. the PO just look better and more interesting than the sub. Modern ones are a tad too thick but still look great. Wearability is a problem due to its size so that's why I went for a Seamaster 300 but I still like the look of the PO. Just wish they make it 1-2mm thinner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    jrosales and jfo2010 like this.

I'm wondering if all this talk about the PO being too tall is in regards to the larger sizes?

Regarding modern Subs: let me be more specific. They are squared off ugly shapes. They lost that beautiful balance they once had. For me, the PO has all of this- especially in the case and lug design of the smaller 39-42mm sizes. I agree the bigger ones are too big all around- but I wouldn't want a watch bigger than 42 no matter what.

I'm a sucker for the classic Rolex hour hand and dot markers of the Sub, but the whole design needs to work in total. That's where it fails nowadays. Omega has done some great things in this respect.

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread Information