Why do YOU prefer a PO over a Rolex Submariner? - Page 4
Like Tree319Likes

Thread: Why do YOU prefer a PO over a Rolex Submariner?

Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Re: Why do YOU prefer a PO over a Rolex Submariner?

Quote Originally Posted by DrDavid90 View Post
    I've always enjoyed the more sophisticated appeal of the Planet Ocean, in comparison with the more simplistic design of the Submariner..

However, having seen Omega's newest reiteration of the Planet Oceans (8900) I must say that the design has "evolved" from being sophisticated to just being flashy.

Creating the need to balance between looks (8500) and movement innovations (8900).

But that's just my opinion ;)

David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree with this statement. They look nice but not over the PO8500 for me.

As for preferring PO over the Sub. It's just looks really. I don't like the look of the Sub as much. The Sub is Rolex's best looking watch imo and it has a great finish and it's comfortable to wear. I just don't like it enough... too many negatives for me as well - cyclops, mercedes hands, flat crystal, too shiny... no, PO for me.
    jrosales likes this.

I consider, but would not avoid a watch because of lesser pedigree (moon, diving, racing, movies, Napoleon). I really don't like the case shape of the Rolex. Don't like what I get for my money with Rolex either. Hated the PO when it came out. Turned out it was the orange numerals and bezel. Bought the 2500 because I tried it on when my friend was shopping. It got fatter over the years and lost it's elegance with increased aggressive angles. It also got more expensive. Coincidentally, I also became less interested.

When it comes to movements and everybody worrying about them, I have Seiko 5s that are very accurate, so you can imagine that I am OK with a 2824/2892/1120/2500. An 8500 would look great from the bottom of the watch, but I'm not willing to buy a watch just because it has an 8500 in it.

I'd buy a 3303 powered watch with no concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterthere View Post
    Super Fuzz said compare them side by side and tell him it's a better design. I have compared, owned both and in regards to hate due to thickness, the SubC is a better design. Height of the case and way it sits on your wrist makes it much more wearable. I said nothing about movements or other aspects. Technically, I should not post in this thread because it is for those who prefer POs over Subs.

Understood.

When people talk about the design I assume they actually mean the "design" as in everything that went into the design of the watch .....such as the movement, case, bezel, dial and bracelet. In which case, my knowledge of Rolex watches is very limited.

I don't like that Rolex got rid of the chanfers. I think they put zero effort in the case and then just inflated them. The 5 digit models were beautiful. The PO is polished beautifully, even the way the crown is polished is really nice, you can see the effort they put in to their cases.

Arrow hands>Mercedes hands

Quote Originally Posted by Atleo View Post
    Planet ocean progress peaked with the 8500 to me. The new ones look a little avante garde for my tastes.

I owned a PO 42mm 8500 and it's a great watch. A little beefier than a sub and certainly more visually modern. The display back is cool.

Full disclosure: I've since sold it and wear a sea dweller every day. Different watch entirely but I like the more subdued nature of it.

Let me help reintroduce it

Vindic8 likes this.

And the front

BUT I do like the sub well I like the master GMT II better than the sub

mykii likes this.

I prefer the 2500D over a 114060, but the 14060M is king of the divers in my world. Perhaps I have an old soul for a Gen Xer but I don't care for the new iterations of PO's and Subs. My top three would be:

14060M
    2254.50 (I know it's not a PO but you get the point)
    2500D
    MJK

Keep on Rockin in the Free World!

Garden City Park, New York, United States

Same reason I don't want a bmw I don't want ....... dbagness to wash over me by association. Rolex is a fine watch but many who buy them don't know that only that their supposed to... to show off

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    chillwill120 and JustinCG like this.
    MikeCfromLI
    NYC\LI
    Hidden Content

My last watch purchase was deciding between an 8900 PO and a 116610LN. I went with the PO. I picked it up 2nd hand so it already took the hit from AD pricing. I feel I got a very good deal.

I had the cash to buy the PO outright but I would have had to flip a beloved watch to make up the difference for the Sub. I decided to get the PO and see if it didn't check all the boxes for me before I go fo the Sub.

I have been very happy with the PO for the short time that I have had it. I have large wrists so the size issue some have is not a concern for me. I really like the dial. It has a richness and a diversity that I enjoy looking upon.

I truly feel that I have made the right choice. I can say that for now the burning desire to get a Sub has been quenched. I will not say that it will be indefinitely, I just am glad I didn't sell my 2nd watch as I am very satisfied with my PO for the time being.

I also enjoy taking pictures of my watch with my phone in differing environments and the PO has been a fun and photogenic subject of those little sessions.

Last edited by Vindic8; May 25th, 2017 at 07:10.

Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread Information