Why do YOU prefer a PO over a Rolex Submariner? - Page 9
Like Tree319Likes

Thread: Why do YOU prefer a PO over a Rolex Submariner?

Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Re: Why do YOU prefer a PO over a Rolex Submariner?

Also don't forget the domed sapphire with AR on the PO, versus the flat without AR on the Sub...
    Different league.
    Alex_TA and Leandrobgoulart like this.
    *** Omega Seamaster GMT - 2234.50.00 *** Omega Planet Ocean Chronograph - 215.30.46.51.03.001 *** Omega Speedmaster Professional "Moonwatch" - 3572.50.00 *** Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military MAXI - Limited Edition *** Seiko Marinemaster Professional - SBBN035 *** Grand Seiko "Snowflake" - SGA211 ***

I don't own a PO, but I actually prefer the Explorer II to the Submariner that I sold...and I prefer my AT 2500 over both. :)

For me it went like this...Last year I was all set to by myself a Sub for my 40th Birthday. I had the money set aside, and about a month before my birthday I went watch shopping to try some things on. So i go into the Rolex boutique, try on the Sub and.....

To my utter disbelief, the sky did not open up, choirs of angels did not sing, and Steve McQueen's ghost did not come down to pat me on the back and whisper "you've made it son" as I had been expecting. Honestly, my overall impression was sort of, well, unimpressed. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the Sub for what it is, and I understand that it is a great iconic watch, but I just felt like for that kind of money I should be buying something that blows me away rather than questioning my purchase.

The same day I went to the Omega boutique and the PO, on the other hand, made an instant and lasting impression. Nevertheless, I was still holding on to the idea that I needed a Rolex Diver, and I thought that maybe it was the size of the Sub that was putting me off, so I planned to put some extra cash aside and I decided to try for the DSSD. However I had a similar experience on the trip to try that one on. The bracelet seemed too narrow for the watch, and when I tried it on it just didn't do it for me. It just didn't feel like the right watch for me. I left the store, but instead of being discouraged I actually had a sense of relief. On the ride home it became clear what I wanted to do.

I went home, and with the money I had saved I bought a Speedmaster 57' and a Planet Ocean. And I couldn't be happier with my decision.

When I put on my Planet Ocean it just feels right. It feels like my watch, like the watch that fits who I am, and like the watch that could easily be my "one watch" to accompany me through a lifetime. It is just a truly amazing, high quality, solid watch. And I am ever so grateful that the watch I chose to mark this milestone in my life was not "just another Sub".

munichblue, calv1n, mykii and 14 others like this.
    Nothing in his pockets but Knives and Lint

G-Shock (around 30, mostly custom)
    Omega Speedmaster '57
    Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 8500
    Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 8500 (orange)
    Breitling Superocean Heritage (blue)
    Omega Speedmaster Racing (red)
    Ball Skindiver II
    Ball Fireman NECC (white dial)
    Tudor Fastrider (yellow)
    Sinn 240
    Marathon JDD
    Victorinox Airboss
    Bulova Military UHF

Why do YOU prefer a PO over a Rolex Submariner?

Not a PO but hey.. take it easy on me..

PO 39.5 on the way !!

Last edited by Ragna; June 3rd, 2017 at 04:52.
    SeanoftheDead516 likes this.

Rolex are my Dads watch....
    i feel too young for one, the PO checked all the right boxes for me.
    highbob and SeanoftheDead516 like this.

The PO is a better diver for a start, not that any of us will go to the depth but the fact it can do it leave you completely assured of its capability.
    Also the bracelet and clasp just feel more solid to me, you know and feel that you have a luxury watch, it might be taboo to say but although the oyster bracelets feel fantastic I was personally underwhelmed when I tried one on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently lost some weight and also bought a SD 16600. Since then the 2201.50 feels and looks huge to me and I haven't worn it since.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by matthew1938 View Post
    Also the bracelet and clasp just feel more solid to me, you know and feel that you have a luxury watch, it might be taboo to say but although the oyster bracelets feel fantastic I was personally underwhelmed when I tried one on.
    I have to assume you've only tried on the older (5-digit model #) Rolexes, because their current bracelets (especially the Sub's) is second to none in this price range.

However the bracelet and clasp on my PO is the only disappointing part of an otherwise awesome watch.

Simply because of size. 45mm , I have large wrists so the 45mm is perfect for me. the 2500 is my pic because its slimmer so can been worn in any situation including cuffs etc. Love the vintage look and feel.
    Attached Images Attached Images

KayGee and willydribble like this.

Quote Originally Posted by cedargrove View Post
    I have to assume you've only tried on the older (5-digit model #) Rolexes, because their current bracelets (especially the Sub's) is second to none in this price range.

However the bracelet and clasp on my PO is the only disappointing part of an otherwise awesome watch.
    Brand new......personal preference I suppose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread Information