Will we in the Omega communities ever see people actively proclaiming to leave other brands in favor - Page 4
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Will we in the Omega communities ever see people actively proclaiming to leave other brands in favor

-->
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Re: Will we in the Omega communities ever see people actively proclaiming to leave other brands in f

quote from watchmespend.

I grew up with Ford everything. I had a V8 Mustang, a Supercharged Thunderbird and a Taurus SHO. They made the Mustang too small, the Thunderbird into a slower two seater boring car and the Taurus into a slower jellybean looking car. It was time for me to move on and now I drive an Audi, but most of us that drove American muscle cars usually ended up going German, you just ran the course.
    Time goes on, I started with Wittnauer and went TAG and then went Omega. In regard the the old fart comment, I actually wore a gold Seiko with a diamond at 12 o clock and a brown crock strap when I was sixteen to twenty two years old. Kind of styled like a JLC Reverso.[/QUOTE]

The old fart comment was just my kind of humour on the matter. Has you pointed out we all start somewhere and then as we start to mature in life so does our taste. I would love to own a JLC or zenith, but havent the funds to do so. Omega to me as a great youthful look on some of the range, then the other range to me as gone too extreme(or too expensive) on the age side, they is no in between. I still like omega and will always be a omega fan, but I yearn for a JLC or zenith, and thats were I see some other members have gone I am not calling them old farts, but their taste needs a mature watch in their collection. I think the people that say " I will never buy another omega " were never true fans of omega and the people that have bought another brand still are omega fans.
    Last edited by joeuk; January 1st, 2012 at 13:15.

Re: Will we in the Omega communities ever see people actively proclaiming to leave other brands in f

Quote Originally Posted by joeuk View Post
    The old fart comment was just my kind of humour on the matter. Has you pointed out we all start somewhere and then as we start to mature in life so does our taste. I would love to own a JLC or zenith, but havent the funds to do so. Omega to me as a great youthful look on some of the range, then the other range to me as gone too extreme(or too expensive) on the age side, they is no in between. I still like omega and will always be a omega fan, but I yearn for a JLC or zenith, and thats were I see some other members have gone I am not calling them old farts, but their taste needs a mature watch in their collection. I think the people that say " I will never buy another omega " were never true fans of omega and the people that have bought another brand still are omega fans.
    Joe, I don't think anyone actually took your joke seriously. I thought it was quite humorous. In my mind, JLC is kind of a natural next step for Omega fans. Having studied their lineup pretty closely now, and having researched some of their iconic models, I feel that they and Omega approach the design of their watches in a similar manner. (Of course many would say JLC is in a world its own, and a very clear cut above Omega, Rolex and other mid level watchmakers, in terms of the mechanical side of horology.) Speaking only about the aesthetics side of things, I think it's natural for fans of modern Omegas to also like modern JLCs. Both companies offer very complete, fully realized designs and very cohesive ranges. Every little detail has been developed to the fullest. There are many, many watches from other companies in JLC's price range that don't compare well in one category or another. (Either they make elegant dress watches, and ugly sport watches, or vice versa. Omega and JLC seem to get (almost) all of their designs right.) Some of the newest Zeniths are very nice, too (man, I love the Captains), but much of their current and recent range is quite unattractive, design-wise — in my humble opinion. As a whole, Zenith, especially the Zenith of the last decade or so, is lucky to be considered more or less the equal of Omega in the marketplace, and is not necessarily a brand that any Omega owner needs to "aspire to."
    Last edited by Dixan; January 1st, 2012 at 14:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Dixan View Post
    Joe, I don't think anyone actually took your joke seriously.
    Ditto! (And if anyone did, they could really use a SOH transplant. )

Personally, I think every serious collection needs four watches, at a minimum: An iconic dive watch (I have two: the PO and the Sub-C); an iconic chronograph (for me it's my Speedies); a vintage watch (for the time being, it's my first "grown-up" watch, a Croton automatic, received in 1960); and a quality dress watch. That last one for me could be a JLC, but I really aspire to a Lange. However, if I could ever score that vintage Patek, both the third and fourth watches would be combined into one.

Since I have a vintage watch, albeit one I never wear, the acquisition of another is a lower priority. And since my lifestyle tends towards the casual now, a fine dress watch also would likely spend most of its life in the safe. The first two categories always have been a top priority, and I always have had an example of one, if not both.

And that makes priorities a greater factor in our watch acquisitions, I believe, than brand or even price.

Rob
    Datejust 116233 • Datejust 16233 • TH Carrera WAR211B.B0782
    Air Zermatt H64554131 •
    Viewmatic H32455185 • KF chronograph H71466133

Copyright notice: Original photographs posted by this member are copyright © 2010-2014 by WatchWerx.com and New Sheriff Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved. Posting of original photos conveys to WatchUSeek a non-exclusive, royalty-free, limited license for continued publication of such photos on WatchUSeek. Use of these photographs for any other commercial purpose, including, but not limited to, use by other members for personal "for sale" postings, is prohibited without express written permission.

Ditto! (And if anyone did, they could really use a SOH transplant. )

Personally, I think every serious collection needs four watches, at a minimum: An iconic dive watch (I have two: the PO and the Sub-C); an iconic chronograph (for me it's my Speedies); a vintage watch (for the time being, it's my first "grown-up" watch, a Croton automatic, received in 1960); and a quality dress watch. That last one for me could be a JLC, but I really aspire to a Lange. However, if I could ever score that vintage Patek, both the third and fourth watches would be combined into one.

Since I have a vintage watch, albeit one I never wear, the acquisition of another is a lower priority. And since my lifestyle tends towards the casual now, a fine dress watch also would likely spend most of its life in the safe. The first two categories always have been a top priority, and I always have had an example of one, if not both.

And that makes priorities a greater factor in our watch acquisitions, I believe, than brand or even price.

Rob
    For someone whom I appear to be in some sort of disagreement with, I seem to find myself enjoying or agreeing with your posts the overwhelming majority of the time!

I would add that a collection should have at least one precision quartz, both as a reference and as a handy grab and go.

However I think that this is precisely where there is a real tension between the needs and wants of brand managers and owners - brands want to encourage both excessive consumption and medium term dissatisfaction. Omega (in common with most high end mass market brands) manage the neat trick of having people justify a purchase as a lifetime or even an heirloom purchase while encouraging them to start hankering after the newest latest shortly afterwards.

Mind you, I feel fairly content with most of these categories in JLC and yet I still seem to keep picking up Omega, go figure.

[Q

I'm still hanging out for a Reverso, but I have to admit that the thing that has stopped me so far is my love of the Dunhill facets which fill that role all too well
    mav likes this.
    Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity. Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by joeuk View Post
    Don't worry, nobody took you seriously (this time ). I was just saying that it was funny that I started out wearing a style that most people plan to end up wearing, but I was sixteen at the time. Back then the thin Longines were the rage. As time goes on, I would like to get some watches classified as "old people" watches (and not just on this forum) for a few reasons. One is because I have so many divers and I want a collection that is diverse. Another is because I like to match my watches to the occasion and shirt if possible and when I started out, I had to get "do it all" watches, which brings me back on topic.

That is why I chose Omega. I saw the 2255.80, tried it on and could see and feel the quality immediately. The fact that the piece was accurate and had awesome lume was a bonus. It looked awesome, but also seemed to go with a long sleeve dressy shirt and a polo at the same time. When I saw people boasting about Rolex and studied the difference, I couldn't understand why anybody would pay that for a watch that was no more reliable, didn't have better finish, was no more accurate, had some superfluous attributes and that the general public who did not see the watches for their real attributes were going on about.

Rolex watches were definitely good, but at some point I could almost buy three SMPs to one submariner. Being a guy that loves value, I bought Omega and became a "fan". I would not buy a watch just because it is an Omega, it has to do something for me. I guess you can call me a fan, but not a blind follower.

I am a fan of many other brands that I couldn't afford in the past, but soon I will look to pick one up. A price increase from Omega has stopped me lollygagging in the Omega camp and opened my eyes. Not only that, I'm not awestruck by the new stuff or the size of it, I would have to have "extra" cash lying around before I purchase one. I still want my 8500 AT, but beyond that, I feel no draw, unless they come out with something new. This is a good thing for me. I don't know if I should bother with certain other brands around the 8-12k range or go for a pre loved Breguet. I just usually play it by ear. Baselworld 2012 will tell the tale...

Like you watchmespend I owned a gold (coloured) with black face and a fake diamond at 12, makes me laugh thinking of that style esp as I am not keen on gold watches, but in years to come you never know lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dixan View Post
    AT... G-M-T! AT... G-M-T! AT... G-M-T!
    <cough> Make that a UTC and you have my vote. Seriously, GMT is outmoded.

Omega Constellation 14900SC (551) "pie pan" [inherited 1984]
    Omega Planet Ocean 2209.50 (2500C)
    Omega Seamaster (TC Quartz): 200M "pre-Bond" (1441)
    Omega Speedmaster Chronograph: 3513.50 (1152)
    Omega Speedmaster X-33 Gen 2 3291.50 (1666C)
    Tissot Sideral S [original owner 1971] (784-2)

mav

Quote Originally Posted by WatchMeSpend View Post
    Rolex watches were definitely good, but at some point I could almost buy three SMPs to one submariner. Being a guy that loves value, I bought Omega and became a "fan". I would not buy a watch just because it is an Omega, it has to do something for me. I guess you can call me a fan, but not a blind follower.
    Let's keep in mind that Omega is a luxury watchmaker, and as such, being associated with value is not necessarily a good thing, especially when the brand is trying to attract a higher end clientele. Value, discounting and making price a primarily factor in buying cheapens the brand. In strategic terms, making a better product and making the product the focus of why you should buy, not price, is what makes any luxury brand successful in the long run.

Look at other luxury brands from other industries, like Porsche, Christian ........., even Apple. They are more expensive than their competitors, but people buy their products because they make a better sports car, woman's shoe, computer respectively, developed a very loyal following and elevated their brand. If you take away price and value, ask yourself if Omega makes a better product?
    Ω

Mav can understand the car and apple products, ........but WOMENS SHOES you seem to know a lot about womens shoes lol

Let's keep in mind that Omega is a luxury watchmaker, and as such, being associated with value is not necessarily a good thing, especially when the brand is trying to attract a higher end clientele. Value, discounting and making price a primarily factor in buying cheapens the brand. In strategic terms, making a better product and making the product the focus of why you should buy, not price, is what makes any luxury brand successful in the long run.

Look at other luxury brands from other industries, like Porsche, Christian ........., even Apple. They are more expensive than their competitors, but people buy their products because they make a better sports car, woman's shoe, computer respectively, developed a very loyal following and elevated their brand. If you take away price and value, ask yourself if Omega makes a better product?
    I think that the issue isn't about producing a better product, it's about turning your product into a Veblen good, one in which it is perceived as superior simply because it is more expensive. The fact is that there are few, if any watch movements that better the chronometer grade 2892 and yet people will pay a great deal more for watches that simply cannot be very much better. Likewise, the case maker Fricker will offer their services to pretty well anyone and offer a standard of finish which the average WIS, let alone the average consumer, will not be able to differentiate.

To illustrate my point, can anyone honestly tell the difference between the standard of finish on the case of this MKII and the standard of finish on a Rolex case? Or the standard of finish on the bracelet and that on, say, a grand Seiko?

The question of whether Omega makes a better product, or even what a 'better product' is in any universal sense, is a very very difficult one to get any traction on.
    WatchMeSpend and heavenscloud like this.
    Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity. Seneca

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread Information