Your thoughts on this Speedmaster ad? - Page 3
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Your thoughts on this Speedmaster ad?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Your thoughts on this Speedmaster ad?

Quote Originally Posted by TellingTime View Post
    Looks like his mom dressed him.
    And she wanted a girl.
    nigelw, Saxon007, Iliyan and 5 others like this.

It looks like a fashion advert - not like a typical mall "fashion" watch where it's a Skagen floating on a black background or something, but a proper high end fashion advert you'd normally see for like Gucci, Dior, Channel, YSL etc.

Very "cool" effeminate young guy in a colour coordinated outfit with matching watch.

To be honest it's probably better than an advert we'd come up with on here...a hairy, slightly balding guy in his 50's with a not-so-casual wrist shot of a speedy with one hand on a BMW steering wheel.
    Aphid, Ken G, jupiter6 and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by WatchMeSpend View Post
    Omega CEO Raynald Aeschlimann on 60 Years of Speedmaster › WatchTime - USA's No.1 Watch Magazine

Because THIS^^ guy claims that Millennials are dropping more dollars on Omega than the previous generation, so he wants the brand to appeal to them, not the OP. Next time they ought to take a poll.
    Do millenials really know Omega's history ? This is the question to ask, because when you purchase an OMEGA, it is a passion purchase and you have at least some knowledge about watches. Not the case of many millenials I have seen who wear Rolexes or Hublot or Panerais and who have almost close to zero knowledge when it comes to watchmaking and watch brands history. (I apologize if my statement is severe but this is the sad truth, I have been observing millenials for the last decade and I came to this conclusion). I have never seen a millenial shell out 9000$ on a speedy hell not even on a daytona. I think Mr Aeschlimann is seriously mistaken when he thinks that millenials are Omega's main target.First there is the income because afaik millenials with some very rare exception don't wear 10k$ watches, second there is the fact that one is watch cultured and involved in forums or nor and third Omega's clientele is already established from a long long time ago. The gods of marketing hype will never replace the real buyers, the real Omega buyers have at least some Omegas and know their watches very well.
    Last edited by georges zaslavsky; May 27th, 2017 at 14:26.
    DrDavid90 likes this.
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

Quote Originally Posted by georges zaslavsky View Post
    Do millenials really know Omega's history ? This is the question to ask, because when you purchase an OMEGA, it is a passion purchase and you have at least some knowledge about watches. Not the case of many millenials I have seen who wear Rolexes or Hublot or Panerais and who have almost close to zero knowledge when it comes to watchmaking and watch brands history. (I apologize if my statement is severe but this is the sad truth, I have been observing millenials for the last decade and I came to this conclusion). I have never seen a millenial shell out 9000$ on a speedy hell not even on a daytona. I think Mr Aeschlimann is seriously mistaken when he thinks that millenials are Omega's main target.First there is the income because afaik millenials with some very rare exception don't wear 10k$ watches, second there is the fact that one is watch cultured and involmved in forums or nor and third. The gods of marketing hype will never replace the real buyers, the real Omega buyers have at leats some Omegas and know their watches.
    Every brand wants a piece of millennial $ pie, I suppose the difference being Rolex keeps it classy.

Personally I'm not a Rolex fan myself but that's something I just can't deny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    georges zaslavsky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DrDavid90 View Post
    Every brand wants a piece of millennial $ pie, I suppose the difference being Rolex keeps it classy.

Personally I'm not a Rolex fan myself but that's something I just can't deny.

I like the vintage Rolex more than the modern (too bulky and too massive in design especially the sub and the sea dweller) but the vintage Rolex prices have gone beyond insanity so I will stick with vintage Omega, Jaeger Le Coultre, Enicar, Cyma, Lejour, Orfina, Aquastar, Wakmann, IWC, Zenith and Zodiac which offer far more interesting choices for my hard earned money. I also like rare and underrated brands like Revue, Jenny, Dreffa, Clebar, Croton, Nivada Grenchen, Lemania and Movado which produced very nice handwound chronographs.
    DrDavid90 likes this.
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever

I like the vintage Rolex more than the modern (too bulky and too massive in design especially the sub and the sea dweller) but the vintage Rolex prices have gone beyond insanity so I will stick with vintage Omega, Jaeger Le Coultre, Enicar, Cyma, Lejour, Orfina, Aquastar, Wakmann, IWC, Zenith and Zodiac which offer far more interesting choices for my hard earned money. I also like rare and underrated brands like Revue, Jenny, Dreffa, Clebar, Croton, Nivada Grenchen, Lemania and Movado which produced very nice handwound chronographs.
    It's good you have plenty of brands you resonate with, nice variety to choose what appeals to you most..
    For me it's pretty much always been Omega, IWC, and JLC given not many other brands (I know of) make models with a 44-46mm in diameter and designs I favor..
    Lately, looking at where the brand is headed with liquid metal "molecularly bonded" numerals peeling of their dials and degrading marketing such as avocado sandwiches, this kid trying to be sexy gone terribly wrong, and an astranaut in a spacesuit holding an umbrella... I think I'll keep a Speedy, get an old seamaster to remember the brand by and move on from Omega.

Guess it's time to rediscover watches once again.

Oh and yes, totally agree with you on the very expensive prices of vintage Rolex watches, even ones without papers!

David

georges zaslavsky likes this.

This is just one of the 5 pics of a single male model posted on Omega's FB page. On its own, it looks bad. But when combined with the other 4, it looks okay. Omega has a watch for everybody, including the millennials.
    SeanoftheDead516 likes this.
    Rolex Daytona 116520 White Dial | Jaeger-Lecoultre Grande Reverso 976 | Omega Railmaster LE 1957 Trilogy | Omega Speedmaster Pro Moonwatch | Omega PO 8500 42mm Orange Arabics | Omega AT 8500 38.5mm Skyfall | Seiko SKX009 | Seiko SKX007 | Casio G-Shock Mudmaster 1A9 | Citizen EcoDrive Toyota 86 Edition x 3

Quote Originally Posted by Theognosis View Post
    This is just one of the 5 pics of a single male model posted on Omega's FB page. On its own, it looks bad. But when combined with the other 4, it looks okay. Omega has a watch for everybody, including the millennials.
    But it doesn't make sense, because when it comes to purchasing power the millenials hardly have a 5k$ or a 6k$ budget. So I don't think that Omega has a watch for everybody because there is no more Geneve or Dynamic line as it was the case in the 60's-70's. I have seen some millenials as I said earlier in that thread most of them were wearing Rolex, Hublot and Panerai but I have not seen one wearing an Omega.The Millenials want to impress with something that everyone has and with money they don't have. Also you have not taken in consideration that a lot of millenials indebt themselves in order to buy watches that are definitely not in their financial means. Millenials also love connected watches and gadgets and very few if none of them has an idea of what is collectible and what isn't. One of my uncles also told me several years ago:"The one who lives permanently at credit is condemned to stay in financial problems because he has never learnt that living above his financial means is like living with a tight rope around his neck." Watch collecting is not for everybody and because it is also a matter of money. There are several deals to be had in vintage watches but too bad people don't care about them.
    Omega and Rolex for ever

But it doesn't make sense, because when it comes to purchasing power the millenials hardly have a 5k$ or a 6k$ budget. So I don't think that Omega has a watch for everybody because there is no more Geneve or Dynamic line as it was the case in the 60's-70's. I have seen some millenials as I said earlier in that thread most of them were wearing Rolex, Hublot and Panerai but I have not seen one wearing an Omega.The Millenials want to impress with something that everyone has and with money they don't have. Also you have not taken in consideration that a lot of millenials indebt themselves in order to buy watches that are definitely not in their financial means. Millenials also love connected watches and gadgets and very few if none of them has an idea of what is collectible and what isn't. One of my uncles also told me several years ago:"The one who lives permanently at credit is condemned to stay in financial problems because he has never learnt that living above his financial means is like living with a tight rope around his neck." Watch collecting is not for everybody and because it is also a matter of money. There are several deals to be had in vintage watches but too bad people don't care about them.
    You mention their purchasing power is hardly 5-6k, yet you mention some of them wear Rolex, Hublot, and Panerais... Omega's idea is to be one of those brands sought after by this market as well. It's actually a global strategy of most big businesses, look at Mercedes Benz with their GLA, CLA, etc all targeting the same millennial market.

Son, give daddy back his watch now...
    Stowa 1938 | Speedy Pro 311 | Seiko SRP775 | 66 Omega SM | 65 Omega Cosmic | 54 Omega SM | 72 Speedy Mark II | 69 Tissot T.12 | 70 Tissot Super T.12 | 70 Seiko 6139 | 71 Seiko 6138 | 69 Bulova SK | Zodiac SW 53 | Ham. Pan Europ | Ventus Mori | Helm Khuraburi 300

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information