***Official SARB017 Seiko Alpinist thread*** - Page 27
Like Tree3083Likes

Thread: ***Official SARB017 Seiko Alpinist thread***

Page 27 of 189 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 77 127 ... LastLast

Re: ***Official SARB017 Seiko Alpinist thread***

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Dowling View Post
    Got one enroute from Chino, pretty pumped, I love green dials... I flipped a Cocktail Time for it so I'm hoping it isn't disappointing.
    You won't be disappointed. Cocktail time only has a special dial, the case, hands, indices, dial, everything is special on the 017.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by blowfish89 View Post
    Lol I have the Alpinist, and want to flip it for a Cocktail Time.
    Guess the grass is always greener on the other side :P
    The Cocktail Time is a great watch, it's just too fancy for me and I found myself never wearing it. I know it's sacrilege but it felt a bit cheap compared to my SARB035 (which I sold too because I couldn't get a good bracelet fit). I love green and this is one of the few green dial watches out there, plus it's 200 m, sapphire crystal, screw down crown so a bit of an upgrade imo.
    Last edited by Mike_Dowling; September 28th, 2014 at 23:21.

Guys, talk me out of flipping my Alpinist.

Quote Originally Posted by chillwill120 View Post
    Guys, talk me out of flipping my Alpinist.
    Easy, if you can find either for sale, check out the prices of the discontinued 013 and 015 Alpinist models. If you sell your 017 and Seiko discontinue it, you'll have to pay at least twice the price to get another should you miss it.

Yeah, since all of the other Alpinist models are discontinued, it would seem that Seiko will discontinue the 017 pretty soon as well. At which point it will be even more desirable and valuable. I'll hold onto it for a while longer. It's just that I've been giving my SKX a lot more wrist time lately so I started feeling bad having a $500 watch that get's little wrist time. But the alpinist is nice to have as a dressier but still sporty watch.
    Last edited by chillwill120; September 29th, 2014 at 21:22.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Dowling View Post
    The Cocktail Time is a great watch, it's just too fancy for me and I found myself never wearing it. I know it's sacrilege but it felt a bit cheap compared to my SARB035 (which I sold too because I couldn't get a good bracelet fit). I love green and this is one of the few green dial watches out there, plus it's 200 m, sapphire crystal, screw down crown so a bit of an upgrade imo.
    I agree, I didn't buy the Cocktail Time for the same reason (I couldn't see myself wearing it with shorts and flip flops everyday). I bought a VSA alliance mechanical instead, see my thread here Could..not..resist - VSA Alliance Mechanical ARRIVED
    I like the Alpinist, my major concern with it till now is: (i) the Seiko OEM bracelet is not good, and it was very expensive, (ii) the watch is gaining 20-25 seconds every day, maybe it will settle down in a month. In any case, my S/O has taken a liking to the Alpinist and wears it now so its not going anywhere.

Inactive

I agree, I didn't buy the Cocktail Time for the same reason (I couldn't see myself wearing it with shorts and flip flops everyday). I bought a VSA alliance mechanical instead, see my thread here Could..not..resist - VSA Alliance Mechanical ARRIVED
    I like the Alpinist, my major concern with it till now is: (i) the Seiko OEM bracelet is not good, and it was very expensive, (ii) the watch is gaining 20-25 seconds every day, maybe it will settle down in a month. In any case, my S/O has taken a liking to the Alpinist and wears it now so its not going anywhere.
    After years of watch wearing I just have to accept the fact that I really don't like dress watches. I buy them but I always reach for my MM300 or another sports watch. Maybe if I had a job that required a suit daily I would be into them. But now they just collect dust until I sell them.

I'm 5'10 185 so a 39mm watch looks fine on me, so I'm not worried about the size of the Alpinist at all.

I have to agree about the bracelet. I got it for $125 used which is much better than the $175 seiya charges, but still a lot for a simple bracelet. The fact that such an expensive bracelet has only two micro adjustments is unacceptable; I can't get a good fit. I also don't like the way it tapers.

You will be fine then - I found the Alpinist hideously small, my girlfriend wears it now.
    As I suspected the SARB017 Alpinist is a little too large and too chunky for my 8 inch wrist, but not unacceptably so. I do wish they had made it about 2 mm smaller and thinner.

Quote Originally Posted by chillwill120 View Post
    I have to agree about the bracelet. I got it for $125 used which is much better than the $175 seiya charges, but still a lot for a simple bracelet. The fact that such an expensive bracelet has only two micro adjustments is unacceptable; I can't get a good fit. I also don't like the way it tapers.
    Yes. Only two options for micro adjust. Uses pins, not screws. Feels cheap and light overall. Rattles a lot, when I shake my wrist, it is very very noisy. I felt this when I was cycling and there was a constant noise - I thought it was my bike's chain at first but then saw this. Most third party and OEM bracelets of better quality are available under $125, I paid $160 for this from Seiya.

Page 27 of 189 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 77 127 ... LastLast

Thread Information