***Official SARB017 Seiko Alpinist thread*** - Page 49
Like Tree3085Likes

Thread: ***Official SARB017 Seiko Alpinist thread***

Page 49 of 189 FirstFirst ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 99 149 ... LastLast

Re: ***Official SARB017 Seiko Alpinist thread***

Perfect! Thanks.

I've been reading in other places on this board that the watch has been discontinued, so it's getting harder to find... Can anyone verify?

Quote Originally Posted by Seppia View Post
    It is a very wearable 38mm, I have never owned a snk, but judging from pics if you are ok with the size of one, you will be ok with the other too.

Easily had from any number of sellers on Rakuten direct from Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Gewus View Post
    Don't know, but watch and bracelet together: 135 grams.
    Thanks...it seems like the OEM band is about 11g. Just the watch without band is about 68g

With that in mind, the bracelet is at least 67g...depends how many links you have out of yours to make an accurate assessment.

Hey all,
    So I know I'm a latecomer to this thread, and definitely not trying to hijack it... just wanted to comment that I am happily amazed to find that this watch is rare and gorgeous and that there's no real competition for a mechanical at this price point.

Everything about this watch is just amazing, and I have been looking and shopping in the 300-350 price range for a week now and can find nothing that compares to this watch without bumping up another 250-350 bucks.

I see that there is lots of talk about the stock band... There will be nothing left over for me to get a new band for it, so does anyone know the longevity of the stock band?

I have a Timex Expedition and an HMT Pilot that I could offer for trade on the watch strap forum, but I'd rather not, so I am wondering what kind of life I can expect to get from the stock band.

Thanks again. I'm digging this thread.

The 017 will feel and look larger than your snk but not overly so, you'll be fine with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Papamud View Post
    Hey all,
    So I know I'm a latecomer to this thread, and definitely not trying to hijack it... just wanted to comment that I am happily amazed to find that this watch is rare and gorgeous and that there's no real competition for a mechanical at this price point.

Everything about this watch is just amazing, and I have been looking and shopping in the 300-350 price range for a week now and can find nothing that compares to this watch without bumping up another 250-350
    The Hamilton Khaki Field auto 38mm goes for around $400
    The strap alone is more than worth the difference (the Hammy has one of the best leather straps I have seen, the sarb017 THE worst), I also give it an edge in the movement and has a display case back + domed sapphire crystal.
    The SARB has a MUCH superior dial.

The alpinist is an amazing watch, but the Hammy is a very viable competitor
    Mike_Dowling likes this.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by Seppia View Post
    The Hamilton Khaki Field auto 38mm goes for around $400
    The strap alone is more than worth the difference (the Hammy has one of the best leather straps I have seen, the sarb017 THE worst), I also give it an edge in the movement and has a display case back + domed sapphire crystal.
    The SARB has a MUCH superior dial.

The alpinist is an amazing watch, but the Hammy is a very viable competitor
    I think my khaki field was $350.00 at jomashop and it definitely competes with the Alpinist, both great watches and I enjoy owning both. But Seiko doesn't have the market cornered on value.

You do have to factor in the great strap on the Hamilton and lousy strap on the Seiko.
    Seppia likes this.

Agreed, especially on the strap... but for me these watches are in different categories. The Seiko seems dressier to me. More refined and less utilitarian. I really like the Hamilton, but want something with a little nicer look to it.

Thanks to you guys, now I have to put that Hamilton on my "will own one day" list. Every time I visit this board, that list gets longer...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Dowling View Post
    I think my khaki field was $350.00 at jomashop and it definitely competes with the Alpinist, both great watches and I enjoy owning both. But Seiko doesn't have the market cornered on value.

You do have to factor in the great strap on the Hamilton and lousy strap on the Seiko.

Quote Originally Posted by Papamud View Post
    Agreed, especially on the strap... but for me these watches are in different categories. The Seiko seems dressier to me. More refined and less utilitarian. I really like the Hamilton, but want something with a little nicer look to it.

Thanks to you guys, now I have to put that Hamilton on my "will own one day" list. Every time I visit this board, that list gets longer...
    Just a comment about you thinking the 017 is less utilitarian.....I understand it cuz the esthetics of the color/design do not suggest the watch is more 'utilitarian' BUT remember at heart the Alpinist was made as an adventure watch, tough, rated 200m and with screwdown crown. Japanese do this....make even the most mundane of things more esthetic to the eye. So, feel free to wear the watch in fancy and rugged environments! :)

green camaro Alpinist by blingmeister, on Flickr
    Last edited by T. Wong; February 17th, 2015 at 05:13.
    achilles likes this.

That's great news! Like I said, I'm not super rough on my watches, but I am an everyday wear kind of guy... My watches get banged around some.

Btw, how is the lume on these? My snk sucks in that regard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 49 of 189 FirstFirst ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 99 149 ... LastLast

Thread Information