***Official SARB017 Seiko Alpinist thread*** - Page 50
Like Tree2816Likes

Thread: ***Official SARB017 Seiko Alpinist thread***

Page 50 of 169 FirstFirst ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 100 150 ... LastLast

Re: ***Official SARB017 Seiko Alpinist thread***

Quote Originally Posted by Papamud View Post
    Hey all,
    So I know I'm a latecomer to this thread, and definitely not trying to hijack it... just wanted to comment that I am happily amazed to find that this watch is rare and gorgeous and that there's no real competition for a mechanical at this price point.

Everything about this watch is just amazing, and I have been looking and shopping in the 300-350 price range for a week now and can find nothing that compares to this watch without bumping up another 250-350 bucks.

I see that there is lots of talk about the stock band... There will be nothing left over for me to get a new band for it, so does anyone know the longevity of the stock band?

I have a Timex Expedition and an HMT Pilot that I could offer for trade on the watch strap forum, but I'd rather not, so I am wondering what kind of life I can expect to get from the stock band.

Thanks again. I'm digging this thread.
    Perhaps a new strap for your birthday? Just start with stock strap, it will help you make up your mind what strap you really want for it as there are so many options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey all,
    So I know I'm a latecomer to this thread, and definitely not trying to hijack it... just wanted to comment that I am happily amazed to find that this watch is rare and gorgeous and that there's no real competition for a mechanical at this price point.

Everything about this watch is just amazing, and I have been looking and shopping in the 300-350 price range for a week now and can find nothing that compares to this watch without bumping up another 250-350 bucks.

I see that there is lots of talk about the stock band... There will be nothing left over for me to get a new band for it, so does anyone know the longevity of the stock band?

I have a Timex Expedition and an HMT Pilot that I could offer for trade on the watch strap forum, but I'd rather not, so I am wondering what kind of life I can expect to get from the stock band.

The stock strap really sucks. Feels cheap & rubbery. Not even really sure if it's leather......just get a couple of NATO's. It looks great on a NATO (look back through thread, I've posted a few pics with it on my many NATO's)

That's great news! Like I said, I'm not super rough on my watches, but I am an everyday wear kind of guy... My watches get banged around some.

Btw, how is the lume on these? My snk sucks in that regard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Great lume, as any other Seiko I've had.
    Rolex GMT Master II BLNR "Batman"
    Omega Speedmaster Pro 3573.50
    Omega Seamaster Cosmic c.1968
    Oris Williams F1 Day/Date
    Oris LE 1945 Flight Timer
    Stowa Marine Original
    Stowa 2801 HW Flieger
    Longines Conquest Heritage
    Longines Grande Vitesse GMT Chrono
    Longines Hydroconquest Blue
    Longines 1972 Vintage
    Seiko SKX009
    Seiko SARB017 Alpinist
    Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military
    Steinhart Ocean One Vintage Dual Time

Friends don't let friends buy Invicta

Hey all,

A $30 replacement band is a huge upgrade over the stock band. I'm not sure of your financial situation, but I would think that you can manage to save up $30 in a reasonable amount of time if it is a priority for you.
    Hello.

What strap is that? That is absolutely my favourite strap I've seen on this forum for this watch. MUST. HAVE. ONE.
    Quote Originally Posted by dowsing View Post

A bit of a better shot today taken by camera rather than on my phone.

The stock strap is doo doo but it can certainly stand in until you can afford to upgrade. Don't let the strap hold you back.

I tried the oem bracelet and oem brown strap and both were yuck! So I ordered this nice camel colored leather from a George in Greece...

sarb017bywallet by blingmeister, on Flickr
    topview2 by blingmeister, on Flickr
    Last edited by T. Wong; February 18th, 2015 at 22:22.

Quote Originally Posted by T. Wong View Post
    I tried the oem bracelet and oem brown strap and both were yuck! So I ordered this nice camel colored leather from a George in Greece...

sarb017bywallet by blingmeister, on FlickrFlickrtopview2 by blingmeister, on Flickr
    May I have a link for purchasing that strap please.
    Last edited by mplsabdullah; February 19th, 2015 at 01:04.
    Nebo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Seppia View Post
    The Hamilton Khaki Field auto 38mm goes for around $400
    The strap alone is more than worth the difference (the Hammy has one of the best leather straps I have seen, the sarb017 THE worst), I also give it an edge in the movement and has a display case back + domed sapphire crystal.
    The SARB has a MUCH superior dial.

The alpinist is an amazing watch, but the Hammy is a very viable competitor
    The Hamilton may be a competitor however it is simply not in the same class as the SARB017 mostly because of the ATM rating and the screw down crown.

My SARB017 is a daily wear watch so that means swimming pools, showers, lakes, hot springs etc. Even though you could probably get away with this most of the time without a screw down crown I personally wouldn't.

For arguments sake, the 6R15 and the 2428 are equivalent movements.

I would say the closest watch to the SARB017 in Hamiltons line up is the Pilot Auto H64425135.

***Official SARB017 Seiko Alpinist thread***

I get your point on the 20 atm WR but I miss everything else.
    Generally speaking I think there's a lot more similarities between the khaki field and the SARB VS the SARB and a pilot watch.
    So I was considering them as "field watches".
    I have owned an alpinist and loved it, the dial is incredible for the price but timekeeping is spotty and the strap seems to come from a $15 watch bought in canal street.
    The Hamilton has very bad lume but has the huge upside of a terrific, terrific strap. Really amazing.
    Additional question:
    I am no movement expert but what does make you say the 6r15 and the 2824 are equivalent?
    In my (very small) personal experience the eta has had a significantly better performance (I've owned 3 eta 2824 and 2 6r15 and timekeeping wise it's not even the same sport - see below). Not trolling, really genuinely interested in the response: I know there's a lot more than pure accuracy to a movement, I know both are "middle class" movements but nothing more.
    To give an idea: this is the performance of my Hamilton in the last days:

My most accurate 6r15 gained 15 seconds per day, my least accurate eta gained 7.

Sorry for the multiple edits, I expanded my post with additional info
    Last edited by Seppia; February 19th, 2015 at 04:17.

Quote Originally Posted by mplsabdulllah View Post
    May I have a link for purchasing that strap please.
    Message sent to you....:)
    mplsabdulllah likes this.

Page 50 of 169 FirstFirst ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 100 150 ... LastLast

Thread Information