WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

** >> SHOW YOUR GRAND SEIKO << **

646K views 2K replies 538 participants last post by  argv 
#1 · (Edited)
Dear all,

I have had my Grand Seiko for close to three months now and have enjoyed it thoroughly ... There is nothing quite like it in the Sub 10K range ... In my opinion, it competes directly with JLC, Rolex & GO with respect to its size, comfort, finishing, dial and demeanor.

I recall having to search through many many threads to dig up some real life photographs of Grand Seikos before pulling the trigger ..

Given the growing interest in Grand Seikos, I would urge everyone to share photographs of their GS for fellow Seiko enthusiasts and new buyers..

Cheers

nishant

I would begin the thread with my SBGE001 .. a treasured possession !

See less See more
#731 ·
It didn't call any attention to anyone. I took these pics with it exposed to post here but 99% of the evening it was under the cuffs. I wasn't that concerned when the groom was wearing his Suunto Core Alu all black with his tux. So nobody was judging me and my beautifully high polished GS lmao

#735 · (Edited)
"I LOVE that watch. But honestly, it looks terrible with the tux and calls far too much attention to itself and you. Some times only a formal dress watch will do.

But man, i want that watch."

"Terrible"? Wow thats harsh makes me feel like I choose a 60mm Invicta Russian Diver to wear :-d I guess I"m not that traditional. I think the SBGH001 (and many other GS models) at 40mm makes a perfect dress watch in this day and age with a tux, suite or jeans and button down shirt. Especially at slightly over 6ft and 210 pounds it doesn't stand out that much. Besides...when wearing a GS what is wrong with a little attention anyway? I have a few formal dress watches and some nice vintage ones also but they are too small and too bland for me to be wearing on a day I'm standing out with a tux, no matter what watch or jewelry I choose. Do we walk around with our watches and hope nobody notices them? LOL. The only time that may be applicable to me is if I'm in a dark alley in parts unknown.

Formal wear Suit Tuxedo Event Gesture

#736 ·
"I LOVE that watch. But honestly, it looks terrible with the tux and calls far too much attention to itself and you. Some times only a formal dress watch will do.

But man, i want that watch."

"Terrible"? Wow thats harsh makes me feel like I choose a 60mm Invicta Russian Diver to wear :-d I guess I"m not that traditional. I think the SBGH001 (and many other GS models) at 40mm makes a perfect dress watch in this day and age with a tux, suite or jeans and button down shirt. Especially at slightly over 6ft and 210 pounds it doesn't stand out that much. Besides...when wearing a GS what is wrong with a little attention anyway? I have a few formal dress watches and some nice vintage ones also but they are too small and too bland for me to be wearing on a day I'm standing out with a tux, no matter what watch or jewelry I choose. Do we walk around with our watches and hope nobody notices them? LOL. The only time that may be applicable to me is if I'm in a dark alley in parts unknown.

It looks great; such a versatile piece (like the venerable, go anywhere Rolex DJ)!!! From a ballroom to the beach and everything in between! Wear that beauty with pride!

#738 · (Edited)
JP, any man who knows about Grand Seiko is usually someone either on the road to or already well acquainted with excellence and good taste. With no disrespect intended, I would like to help you out a bit. (I don't mean to be rude) Any occasion requiring a dinner suit (tuxedo) is not an event where one worries about the time. It is meant to honor or celebrate someone or something else (like the bride, or the opera, etc..) and checking your watch is gauche. Before the 1950s, watches were not worn with dinner suits (back then, men of taste carried a pocketwatch in their waistcoat) and after the 1950s, most men's fashion experts recommend a minimal all black sleek formal design that ideally is never seen.
As to the dinner suit, two styles are acceptable, peak lapel or shawl. Only Americans who rent their tuxs wear a notch lapel. (I am joking, but hopefully you catch the point) The notch lapel is derived from the day suit and later the business suit which has no place at a formal event. Dinner suits are to be worn only after dark and a pen is never, ever worn in the breast pocket. I know it must seem I am coming down hard on you but since you have the means to afford excellence, it only seems right that the rest of your rig match. Here is a site you might enjoy:

Black Tie Guide | Classic Black Tie: Introduction

#743 ·
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Black Fashion accessory
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Thanks to Dan from Timeless Luxury, I am now a proud owner of SBGA029, Grand Seiko diver !
It has been a week since I owned SBGA029. GS diver is bigger and heavier than I originally expected.
GS diver is unmistakably a seiko diver. I am glad that there is a clear distinction from Rolex Submariner.
I am always in awe with Grand Seiko. Workmanship and quality of their watches are something to savour.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.