WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

** >> SHOW YOUR GRAND SEIKO << **

646K views 2K replies 538 participants last post by  argv 
#1 · (Edited)
Dear all,

I have had my Grand Seiko for close to three months now and have enjoyed it thoroughly ... There is nothing quite like it in the Sub 10K range ... In my opinion, it competes directly with JLC, Rolex & GO with respect to its size, comfort, finishing, dial and demeanor.

I recall having to search through many many threads to dig up some real life photographs of Grand Seikos before pulling the trigger ..

Given the growing interest in Grand Seikos, I would urge everyone to share photographs of their GS for fellow Seiko enthusiasts and new buyers..

Cheers

nishant

I would begin the thread with my SBGE001 .. a treasured possession !

See less See more
#235 · (Edited)
Here is a closer look at the limited edition SBGM029. The dial is a solid color but has a unique personality of its own. Under normal indoor lighting, it appears to be a deep glossy blue, almost black.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

But it is dynamic like dark cobalt glass. Under bright light, you will see the color is actually translucent and it lights up a rich, brilliant blue. The gold GMT hand completes that extra special "grand" touch. The beauty and detail of Grand Seiko never ceases to amaze me.

#237 ·
Here is a closer look at the limited edition SBGM029. The dial is a solid color but has a unique personality of its own. Under normal indoor lighting, it appears to be a deep glossy blue, almost black. But it is dynamic like dark cobalt glass. Under bright light, you will see the color is actually translucent and it lights up a rich, brilliant blue. The gold GMT hand completes that extra special "grand" touch. The beauty and detail of Grand Seiko never ceases to amaze me.

View attachment 930389
I am OFFICIALLY JEALOUS :p:p... As is, I find it hard to hang on to my five watches and there you are ..piling up the Japanese Beauties o|
And now, look at those fantastic photographs :)

I LoVe IT !!!! I need to test-drive some of your GS .. so very bad !
Love Em All .. Congratulations on another fine acquisition.

#238 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the positive comments guys! Grand Seikos are watches where you have to look closely to notice its fine craftsmanship. From far away they look like nothing special, so they are often under appreciated. However, I firmly believe these are some of the best watches in the world, and I'm stocking up before the prices go the way of Panerai and Rolex...looks like it's already marching that direction but deservedly so. b-)

#240 · (Edited)
Here is a look through the caseback of SBGM029 which is a special treat. Seiko has implemented a unique rotor made of titanium for this limited edition. This is no surprise, as Seiko has decades of experience with titanium. After all, they developed the world's first shrouded titanium dive watch in the 1970's which started their iconic Tuna line.

Titanium is often utilized for its lightness and strength, but aesthetically it usually carries a dull grey tone. Seiko has used its extensive knowledge of titanium to extract all the hidden beauty of this material. First, the rotor disc is acid etched to reveal the natural crystalline structure of the metal. Then an electrical anodizing process is employed with a precise amount of voltage and time to transform the surface into the signature Grand Seiko blue. It is a color that will never fade and will last for generations.

The titanium rotor also provides increased shock resistance and protects the movement from damage if dropped. One side of the disc is weighted with an arc shaped weight of tungsten attached by 3 small studs. The slightest movement will cause the rotor to shift, further increasing self-winding efficiency. Yet again, Seiko has demonstrated their mastery of combining art with function.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

#256 · (Edited)
I recently purchased a Grand Seiko SBGR061 based on positive GS reviews from this forum (thank you all!). It's a beautiful timepiece and I am very pleased with the purchase. I've had it for a month now and it has gained a total of only 3 seconds against the atomic clock, gains 2 seconds per day, and losses 2 seconds per night if I leave it 12 o'clock up. Im very pleased with the croc strap as I've always had bracelets, and the deployment is really slick. It's very very classy. All of the hype over finish quality of the GS line is absolutely true. I have had more compliments on this watch in a month than I ever got in 30 years with my Omegas (and I still like those watches, but they don't compete with the GS). I can take the off GS for a long weekend and it's still ticking on Monday night.

I looked long and hard at the new Omega AT and PO, also the Rolex line. All fine timepieces and better brand recognition, but the SBGR061 won out by a long shot for style, finish and movement IMO.

I have also have a 1970's Omega Seamaster Square Face 166.042 (was in a drawer for 30 years). It's all original and never opened, it runs nicely, +15 secs/day. Not as accurate as the GS, but still a unique timepiece. I'm trying to swap it out, but the GS is soooo much nicer to wear.

I also have a Omega Seamaster Pre-Bond gold 2-tone which I purchased new in Singapore in 1987. It's the thermo-compensated quartz model and has been my daily watch for the past 25 years. It has taken endless abuse (I'm a geologist) and still runs flawlessly. I now wish I had bought the automatic model, but did not appreciate mechanical movements at the time.

Cheers, (sorry for the lousy photo, Thanks Dan!).

Attachments

#258 ·
This GS is my latest acquisition. SBGA071 I'm in love with Grand Seiko and its history. The passion and determination the company had shown during the 60s when participated in Observatory Chronometer Competitions was an inspiration to me. The accuracy and precision of GS timepiece still remain its core value.

Also the graceful simplicity .. ZEN like design .. fit very well with my personality.

The continuous innovation is another impression .. Spring Drive included :)

I love being under the radar and enjoy it to myself

Cheers :)

Attachments

#259 ·
Big Congrats sir !!! Love it ..... Doesnt get much better than this IMHO. Gorgeous ! Absolutely Gorgeous. :-!:-!

This GS is my latest acquisition. SBGA071 I'm in love with Grand Seiko and its history. The passion and determination the company had shown during the 60s when participated in Observatory Chronometer Competitions was an inspiration to me. The accuracy and precision of GS timepiece still remain its core value.

Also the graceful simplicity .. ZEN like design .. fit very well with my personality.

The continuous innovation is another impression .. Spring Drive included :)

I love being under the radar and enjoy it to myself

Cheers :)

Reactions: DrNoi
#264 ·
I might as well bump an old thread after having read through the entire thing from beginning to end. What can I say? Gorgeous watches, everyone. Really. GS is calling to me more than ever!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.