**NEW and UPCOMING Seiko watches** - Page 37
Like Tree6290Likes

Thread: **NEW and UPCOMING Seiko watches**

Page 37 of 392 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 87 137 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 370 of 3918
  1. #361
    Member timetellinnoob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    So. CA
    Posts
    3,744

    Re: **NEW and UPCOMING Seiko watches**

    Quote Originally Posted by luth_ukail View Post
    i couldn't care less about the nickname if the watch itself does not exist.
    i don't get the rush to 'pick' a nickname either way =). i think someone just wants to lay claim to it being their idea. i think once a watch starts getting into peoples hands, the natural features of the watch should give birth to a nickname, rather than thinking up japanese-sounding things and hoping something sticks. Tuna, Monster, even Sumo make some kind of sense. Starfish, Stargate, yea you can sorta see it. but some names it just seems like people want to give names to watches because it's fun and cute. maybe that's all it is and i'm just no fun haha.

    The SKX007 didn't need no nickname, it's either the SKX or the 007 or the SKX007!

    edit: also, knowing Seiko, these will come out, be immensely popular, and they will cancel them a little later (looking at you Spork, which I think was one of the earlier SRPs? which caused the name? And Sinn-ko or whatever doesn't sound right) thus artificially making their original price double causing anyone who didn't get in on the ground floor to want to punch themselves
    Last edited by timetellinnoob; November 2nd, 2015 at 05:51.
    (just a) timetellinnoob
    SEIKO: SNDA67, SKX779, SKX007 (mod), SNZG15, SKX-PMMM, 6309-7040 (12/1980 rfrb/mod),
    7002-7000 (7/91 Loy's), SRP227 (mod)
    , SNXS79, SSC031, SNKL45, SNX993 (mod),
    SARB033 SPIRIT, PROSPEX SRP775 (mod),
    THE LATEST: PROSPEX SRP773 (mod)

  2. #362
    Member Pentameter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    844

    Re: **NEW and UPCOMING Seiko watches**

    Quote Originally Posted by Chronopolis View Post
    Man! I wish they would do something about their font use!!
    Unfortunately for me, I just can't do GS because of that.
    what exactly is wrong w/ their font use?

  3. #363
    Member luth_ukail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Malaysia/Singapore
    Posts
    1,335

    Re: **NEW and UPCOMING Seiko watches**

    Quote Originally Posted by timetellinnoob View Post
    i don't get the rush to 'pick' a nickname either way =). i think someone just wants to lay claim to it being their idea. i think once a watch starts getting into peoples hands, the natural features of the watch should give birth to a nickname, rather than thinking up japanese-sounding things and hoping something sticks. Tuna, Monster, even Sumo make some kind of sense. Starfish, Stargate, yea you can sorta see it. but some names it just seems like people want to give names to watches because it's fun and cute. maybe that's all it is and i'm just no fun haha.

    The SKX007 didn't need no nickname, it's either the SKX or the 007 or the SKX007!

    edit: also, knowing Seiko, these will come out, be immensely popular, and they will cancel them a little later (looking at you Spork, which I think was one of the earlier SRPs? which caused the name? And Sinn-ko or whatever doesn't sound right) thus artificially making their original price double causing anyone who didn't get in on the ground floor to want to punch themselves
    Agree with you wholeheartedly. it's just some of the names i don't get is the Spork. i mean, i saw pork instead. no offense but that's a horrible name to start with.

    Tuna is very well picked. As for Sumo, it have to do with the bezel right? And stargate because of the bezel too i think?

    There is another naming session with Citizen back then. Somebody called it the Phallus.

    LOL
    Last edited by luth_ukail; November 2nd, 2015 at 07:45.
    i have many many memory with many watches, but the only one that is worthy is my all time favorite - the Tudor Submariner 79090.

  4. #364
    Member Chronopolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    10,000

    Re: **NEW and UPCOMING Seiko watches**

    Quote Originally Posted by Pentameter View Post
    what exactly is wrong w/ their font use?
    It wouldn't be accurate to say they're "wrong" (although they are :-D).

    I just find it very unappealing for being so "diversity in one place" (or, hodge-podgy).

    The gothic font is already objectionable here, and then atomic-wedgy-ishly offensive when combined with the rest.

    And I really do think Seiko do not have a handle on this matter because it is not their own script.
    I'd imagine any Swiss brand would have the same problem if they had to use Chinese characters / fonts.
    "Be thine own palace, or the world's thy jail." _ John Donne

  5. #365
    Member timetellinnoob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    So. CA
    Posts
    3,744

    Re: **NEW and UPCOMING Seiko watches**

    Quote Originally Posted by Chronopolis View Post
    It wouldn't be accurate to say they're "wrong" (although they are :-D).

    I just find it very unappealing for being so "diversity in one place" (or, hodge-podgy).

    The gothic font is already objectionable here, and then atomic-wedgy-ishly offensive when combined with the rest.

    And I really do think Seiko do not have a handle on this matter because it is not their own script.
    I'd imagine any Swiss brand would have the same problem if they had to use Chinese characters / fonts.

    I like the 'olde english' kinda font. what i disagree with is that essay-question answer size stack of text on the lower half of the dial... Keep the upper Seiko, and then have either GS or Grand Seiko, but not both, maybe keep the hi-beat stuff, and keep GMT. maybe rearrange and play with sizing but 4 lines on one half of the dial is way too much for something that's supposed to be elegant imo
    (just a) timetellinnoob
    SEIKO: SNDA67, SKX779, SKX007 (mod), SNZG15, SKX-PMMM, 6309-7040 (12/1980 rfrb/mod),
    7002-7000 (7/91 Loy's), SRP227 (mod)
    , SNXS79, SSC031, SNKL45, SNX993 (mod),
    SARB033 SPIRIT, PROSPEX SRP775 (mod),
    THE LATEST: PROSPEX SRP773 (mod)

  6. #366
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    9

    Re: **NEW and UPCOMING Seiko watches**

    Questions about the SRP777 and SRP779:

    Gracias por su consulta.
    Estas dos referencias estarán disponibles en el mercado español en enero 2016.
    Al tratarse de las novedades de 2016, aun no tenemos precios fijados.

    Atentamente
    Tomomi Sato
    Skeptical, maksud2007 and LuisR like this.

  7. #367
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    200

    Re: **NEW and UPCOMING Seiko watches**

    Quote Originally Posted by banderor View Post
    Seiko's not alone in failing to leverage iconic past designs.

    There was a thread on WUS recently on a Bulova chronograph worn on the moon. If Bulova (which is owned by Citizen) reproduced it, I think they'd have a hit on their hands.

    They could put something like a 27-jewel ETA Quartz Thermoline movement in it (which I believe is accurate to +/- 10 seconds a year, has an independent hour hand & perpetual calendar). That's the movement the Certina DS 2 PerciDrive Chronograph uses.

    Bulova also made iconic digital watches in the 1970s they could reproduce. And no current production version of the original Accutron? Really?
    Ask and you shall receive, per Hodinkee; Bulova Moonwatch
    banderor likes this.

  8. #368
    Member brandon\'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    7,191

    Re: **NEW and UPCOMING Seiko watches**

    Quote Originally Posted by timetellinnoob View Post
    i don't get the rush to 'pick' a nickname either way =). i think someone just wants to lay claim to it being their idea.
    Bah! You're just being a negative Nancy because you haven't nicknamed a watch.

    I have and my kids' kids' kids' will be telling the story. THEIR OLD MAN NICKNAMED A WATCH ON THE INTERNET.

  9. #369
    Member LordBrettSinclair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    London, United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,852

    Re: **NEW and UPCOMING Seiko watches**

    I love the Gothic font on Grand Seiko, it's really retro to my eye. it's also really un-trendy. Grand Seiko is all about a company not caring about western sensibilities and marching to the beat of their own drum. They are the ultimate contrarian luxury item, only the Japanese could do it.
    The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom

  10. #370
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    122

    Re: **NEW and UPCOMING Seiko watches**

    Quote Originally Posted by LordBrettSinclair View Post
    I love the Gothic font on Grand Seiko, it's really retro to my eye. it's also really un-trendy. Grand Seiko is all about a company not caring about western sensibilities and marching to the beat of their own drum. They are the ultimate contrarian luxury item, only the Japanese could do it.
    +1 on this
    Memento Vivere and Pentameter like this.
    Citizen: CA0020-56E
    Seiko: SKX009
    Steinhart: Ocean One Vintage Red

Page 37 of 392 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 87 137 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 17 users browsing this thread. (3 members and 14 guests)

  1. Leletag,
  2. nordland_nl,
  3. satish_appasani

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: February 12th, 2015, 13:54
  2. Upcoming Watches
    By starscream in forum Casio G-Shock
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: July 19th, 2011, 23:29
  3. suggestions on a new watches for my upcoming nuptials?
    By cp_ste.croix in forum Public Forum
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: May 2nd, 2011, 18:46
  4. What are the upcoming German watches you want the most?
    By thodgins in forum German watches
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: April 17th, 2006, 09:32

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •